Mask exemption - experiences

Old Oct 6, 20, 11:28 am
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bregenz, Austria
Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Posts: 2,950
Mask exemption - experiences

I am wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of flying on BA with a medical mask exemption.

I have certificate from a doctor in Austria, stating that I am unable to wear a face mask due to medical reasons. This is, of course, written in German, but I have an English translation from an accredited translator.

I don't know if it's relevant, but the route would be ARN-LHR.
The_Bouncer is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 11:35 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK - South Coast
Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classť, plus BAEC.
Posts: 1,457
Was going to suggest you pick-up a sunflower lanyard from LHR but see you're inbound to the UK. Maybe try and order one? There's growing awareness of what it signifies and it may help fend off any over-zealous mask enforcers.

No personal experience, sorry.
The_Bouncer likes this.
krispy84 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 11:43 am
  #3  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bregenz, Austria
Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Posts: 2,950
Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
Was going to suggest you pick-up a sunflower lanyard from LHR but see you're inbound to the UK. Maybe try and order one? There's growing awareness of what it signifies and it may help fend off any over-zealous mask enforcers.

No personal experience, sorry.
Yes, I am inbound. I have ordered one to be sent to my UK address, to use when I arrive.
The_Bouncer is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 11:59 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 374
This should be absolutely fine. Iíd explain to the senior crew member the situation at the boarding door if necessary.
The ground staff may also ask to see evidence of exemption at the gate/check in and may pass this on to the cabin crew for you.
Itís worth ensuring that your exemption is one of those listed by the UK Govt as those are the only exemptions BA will accept.
HIDDY, orbitmic, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
MFCC is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 12:16 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 825
Definitely take your certificate. Language shouldn’t matter. Unlike at other transport providers (in the UK at least) BA crew and ground staff have now been briefed to ask that passengers prove their exemption to be allowed to have it. Obviously they’re allowed to make their own rules, but it’s the start of a slippery slope if companies and providers are starting to be stricter than the official government recommendations.
IAMORGAN and The_Bouncer like this.
Confus is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 1:05 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Stena Gold
Posts: 685
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer View Post
I am wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of flying on BA with a medical mask exemption.

I have certificate from a doctor in Austria, stating that I am unable to wear a face mask due to medical reasons. This is, of course, written in German, but I have an English translation from an accredited translator.

I don't know if it's relevant, but the route would be ARN-LHR.
Please do not take this as anything other than a straight question, but what would you do if the cabin air supply fails, and you would need to use a mask?
u01sss3 likes this.
Gastrocnemius is online now  
Old Oct 6, 20, 1:25 pm
  #7  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bregenz, Austria
Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Posts: 2,950
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius View Post
Please do not take this as anything other than a straight question, but what would you do if the cabin air supply fails, and you would need to use a mask?
I could handle an oxygen supply mask for the short length of time it would take to descend to a safe altitude. I can also handle a cloth mask for short periods of time, but certainly not for the length of a flight.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
The_Bouncer is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 1:46 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: YYC
Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Posts: 4,390
I can understand how a cloth mask could cause difficulties, would something like this work? It's clear plastic and sits away from the face, so the mask material isn't in contact with your mouth and nose. Also sold on Amazon, look for the Mingle Mask.
https://theminglemask.com/products/mingle-mask-10-pack
Jagboi is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 2:18 pm
  #9  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bregenz, Austria
Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Posts: 2,950
Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
I can understand how a cloth mask could cause difficulties, would something like this work? It's clear plastic and sits away from the face, so the mask material isn't in contact with your mouth and nose. Also sold on Amazon, look for the Mingle Mask.
https://theminglemask.com/products/mingle-mask-10-pack
I do have one of those and it is certainly a lot easier to put up with than the gag-type masks. However I would likely still find myself disappearing off to the lavatory for 10 minutes every half hour to get rid of it.
The_Bouncer is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 2:54 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NYC
Programs: AA - EXP
Posts: 92
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer View Post
I do have one of those and it is certainly a lot easier to put up with than the gag-type masks. However, I would likely still find myself disappearing off to the lavatory for 10 minutes every half hour to get rid of it.
Could you 'put up' with that mask for the duration of the flight?
mosfet is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 2:58 pm
  #11  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bregenz, Austria
Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Posts: 2,950
Originally Posted by mosfet View Post
Could you 'put up' with that mask for the duration of the flight?
No.
The_Bouncer is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 4:18 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Programs: BA
Posts: 1,208
Originally Posted by mosfet View Post
Could you 'put up' with that mask for the duration of the flight?
The OP has a medical exemption letter. Why would they need to 'put up" with anything other than an acception that they don't need to wear one?

I'm all for the sunflower lanyard incidentally. A universally recognizable symbol of a hidden disability for those having difficulty in accepting what they are seeing.
1Aturnleft is online now  
Old Oct 6, 20, 4:22 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Posts: 527
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
The OP has a medical exemption letter. Why would they need to 'put up" with anything other than an acception that they don't need to wear one?

I'm all for the sunflower lanyard incidentally. A universally recognizable symbol of a hidden disability for those having difficulty in accepting what they are seeing.
Agreed.

If you have an exemption then you donít need to wear one.

Itís the rest of them that think they are above the rules that are the issue. Give him/her a break...
Will100 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 4:33 pm
  #14  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bregenz, Austria
Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Posts: 2,950
Originally Posted by Will100 View Post
Agreed.

If you have an exemption then you donít need to wear one.

Itís the rest of them that think they are above the rules that are the issue. Give him/her a break...
Thank you. The issue is documented by a doctor and that is all anyone should need to know. I have actually spoken to BA's Disability and Mobility Assistance team, who were extremely helpful and supportive and confirmed that the certificate will be sufficient, but the English translation will also be helpful. They have also said that I can prebook a seat at the back of the aircraft, where it is likely to be less full, thus potentially saving me from hassle from other passengers.

to BA. I hope KLM is equally competent and accommodating for an upcoming long haul flight. Unfortunately it is to a destination that BA is currently not serving. Otherwise, after today's experience with the service team, BA would have had my business, basically at any price.
The_Bouncer is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 5:15 pm
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 48,387
Note that KL has very specific requirements for the medical certificate (must be "stamped"), requires the original paper copy, and also requires a negative Covid PCR test (possibly in both directions, depending on length of stay). The directions are listed here and provide a link to KL's required form. Annoying because it means another trip to the doctor and the test requirement can get a bit messy depending on your overall itinerary.

https://www.klm.us/information/faq
orbitmic likes this.
Often1 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: