1 night near Heathrow when connecting.

Old Oct 6, 20, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
1 night near Heathrow when connecting.

Hello,

My Japanese colleague working in Spain has the following itinerary for his upcoming flight in December: Bilbao - London Heathrow - Tokyo

The only problem is he would have to spend one night in Heathrow. What are his options? Can he enter the country without problems for the layover, or is there a hotel inside the terminal he should use?

Thank you
Old Oct 6, 20, 8:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are no airside hotels in LHR.

Assuming he is Japanese by nationality, he is free to enter the UK, and even use the e-gates to do so, but he must self isolate in a hotel in Heathrow or central London, and when departing he has to proceed directly to the airport. He isn't required to stay 14 days in the UK, the border is in essence open, and he is free to leave the next day or whenever. The UK and Ireland forum has plenty of advice on hotels, and the Coronavirus forum has a thread on the UK restrictions for arriving passengers. He does however need to fill in the contract tracing Passenger Locator Form, and provide his hotel name and address there. He fills this form in when under 48 hours to departure, or less, and he need either a printed or electronic copy of the form visible on his tablet or phone when he arrives in Heathrow.
Old Oct 6, 20, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Plenty of helpful threads in the main UK Forum

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/

And the Coronavirus forum for other info

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/
Old Oct 6, 20, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

Assuming he is Japanese by nationality, he is free to enter the UK, and even use the e-gates to do so, but he must self isolate in a hotel in Heathrow or central London, and when departing he has to proceed directly to the airport. He isn't required to stay 14 days in the UK, the border is in essence open, and he is free to leave the next day or whenever. The UK and Ireland forum has plenty of advice on hotels, and the Coronavirus forum has a thread on the UK restrictions for arriving passengers. He does however need to fill in the contract tracing Passenger Locator Form, and provide his hotel name and address there. He fills this form in when under 48 hours to departure, or less, and he need either a printed or electronic copy of the form visible on his tablet or phone when he arrives in Heathrow.
Thank you very much.

I promise I tried to search before asking!
Old Oct 7, 20, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

Sorry for the double post and double quote.

What about when coming to Spain, from Japan spending one night in London? I know People coming from Japan can enter Spain, but since the spend one night in the UK I cant find if entry is permitted for people coming from the UK as tourist right now.

Thank you
Old Oct 7, 20, 3:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sodaisei View Post
Sorry for the double post and double quote.

What about when coming to Spain, from Japan spending one night in London? I know People coming from Japan can enter Spain, but since the spend one night in the UK I cant find if entry is permitted for people coming from the UK as tourist right now.

Thank you
hi. Yes thats fine. Effectively if you could enter the UK pre Covid you still can now. Self isolation will apply arriving from Spain in the same way as noted above.
Old Oct 7, 20, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
hi. Yes thats fine. Effectively if you could enter the UK pre Covid you still can now. Self isolation will apply arriving from Spain in the same way as noted above.
I am really confused because the recent government bulletin doesn't include the UK in the list of countries were no restrictions apply, so I am worried my colleagues from Japan won't be able to enter Spain if they spend one night in a hotel in London.

https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2020/07/...-2020-7140.pdf
Old Oct 7, 20, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
I wouldn't use the BA Forum as an authorative source for these questions !
Old Oct 7, 20, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
I wouldn't use the BA Forum as an authorative source for these questions !
Spanish authorities websites are even worse... and I am Spanish!

I am also 100% sure Spain is not imposing self isolation right now
Old Oct 7, 20, 5:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am really confused because the recent government bulletin doesn't include the UK in the list of countries were no restrictions apply, so I am worried my colleagues from Japan won't be able to enter Spain if they spend one night in a hotel in London.

https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2020/07/...-2020-7140.pdf
ah apologies, I misunderstood and thought you meant arriving in London from Spain. please ignore my post
Old Oct 7, 20, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 100K; BA Gold
Spanish authorities websites are even worse... and I am Spanish!

I am also 100% sure Spain is not imposing self isolation right now
It seems that you have answered your question. The FCO seems to agree with you about no self-isolation currently:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
In any event, you might be better off posting in the Spain forum if you want to discuss Spain entry requirements.
Old Oct 9, 20, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Very helpful thread. As an American, I am doing the something similar. ZAG-LHR overnight-DFW. I only plan to stay in my hotel, but will probably take the tube or a bus to a nearby hotel. Is that permitted? Does the hotel check to make sure when I arrive/leave? Can I have breakfast in hotel restaurant or only room delivery? Lots of specific questions, ha. Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 20, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 100K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Very helpful thread. As an American, I am doing the something similar. ZAG-LHR overnight-DFW. I only plan to stay in my hotel, but will probably take the tube or a bus to a nearby hotel. Is that permitted?
Yes.
Does the hotel check to make sure when I arrive/leave?
No.
Can I have breakfast in hotel restaurant or only room delivery? Lots of specific questions, ha. Thanks!
Yes to in the restaurant or in your room (buffet type breakfasts in lounges are generally out) , but it also depends upon the individual hotel and what they offer at the time of your stay based upon their ability to social distance and government requirements.
There are other threads in the UK forum relating to LHR hotels that you should take a look at.

Search this Thread