Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AVIOS SALE! 50% off long haul redemptions, 25% off short haul

AVIOS SALE! 50% off long haul redemptions, 25% off short haul

Old Oct 9, 20, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by ReturnTheRing View Post
Agneisse Did you manage to get this booked? I was looking at GIG-LHR in CW in May and while flight select showed £8 fees this jumped to £211 on the next page. If I ring BAEC will they ticket at the lower fee?
yes
Old Oct 9, 20, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm weighing up the following.

Have a return MEX-LHR-MEX end of December coming back end of Jan. Paid 1840 USD Club World plus 47500 avios to First. Not sure why at the time, but I also had taken off some money with 10k avios as well. so technically used 57500 Avios in total.

If I was to cancel this now and take a voucher, I assume voucher is worth 1840 plus 57500 avios?

I then have 13000 avios in my account currently, having just shelled out 200k of them a few weeks ago to upgrade a number of flights next year.

With the 50% deal, I appear to be able to get Club outbound, First return for 73750 Avios plus 640 GBP in taxes (non-peak dates instead now). This would save me over 1k USD in cash for a future ticket. But, I'd be losing the TPs and Avios (approx 28k due to be earned on the paid CW ticket), plus now using the 13k in my account plus 4k extra I can get from my credit card instantly via Iberia.

Is 1k USD worth using/losing 40k avios and 280 TPs? That's the difficult question for me. I saw buying 40k in normal rates is 640 quid. The TPs is the difficult bit. I wonder whether 1125 will even be need for gold as travel will be massively restricted until some time in the future. Of course each person will value things differently, but I wanted to get an idea if I am making a stupid mistake or not in canceling the rev ticket and rebooking with Avios.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Old Oct 9, 20, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bil View Post
Sorry to re-ask: do you also get the discount if booking a gold priority reward? has anyone tried?
bump...

any news? I didnít pay attention when I had a despair moment when I spoke to an agent to book an avios ticket to find the seats were gone and she said donít worry as Gold youíre no worse off. I didnít listen and said thanks and put the phone down.

Penny just dropped - is this 50% offer essentially an Amex 241 without the use of the voucher AND any route and any date 30 days out, for Golds??
RB211 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 20, 9:04 pm

Hi all, if flights end up cancelled from a reward booking that was booked with this 50% off sale, what would cause me to lose the 50% off benefit in the event of cancellations?

e.g. if I booked a reward flight with 50,000 Avios for something that normally would have needed 100,000 Avios, and I cancel a few months from now because of entry restrictions and take a FTV, does the FTV have 50,000 or 100,000 Avios?

If 50,000, then could I instead of cancelling simply change the dates (keeping them off-peak as I booked off-peak originally) to keep everything intact at a later date?

And if it's BA who ends up cancelling one or more of the flights in my booking instead, can I expect to be able to move everything to different dates without any charges?

Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 20, 9:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by seputus View Post
Hi all, if flights end up cancelled from a reward booking that was booked with this 50% off sale, what would cause me to lose the 50% off benefit in the event of cancellations?

e.g. if I booked a reward flight with 50,000 Avios for something that normally would have needed 100,000 Avios, and I cancel a few months from now because of entry restrictions and take a FTV, does the FTV have 50,000 or 100,000 Avios?

If 50,000, then could I instead of cancelling simply change the dates (keeping them off-peak as I booked off-peak originally) to keep everything intact at a later date?

And if it's BA who ends up cancelling one or more of the flights in my booking instead, can I expect to be able to move everything to different dates without any charges?

Thanks.
The FTV would be for 50000. I can't imagine it being any other way. Imagine if half price cash bookings doubled in value hehe
Old Oct 9, 20, 10:12 pm

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Skysea View Post
Could someone be kind enough to tell me how many Avios required for YVR LON YVR in business business during the 50% off time line.
I have tried to book going out end of May returning late June and it gives me so many different amounts and dollars.
much appreciated
One way pricing:

37500 peak days
31250 off peak
Old Oct 10, 20, 12:23 am

Programs: Latam, Iberia, BAEC, JAL
Angry Awart Chart increased?

Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Managed to book though GGL line. Redeemed PE, upgraded to Club using GUF. Avios charged with 50% discount for longhaul segments but only 25% discount for shorthaul segments. There was no redemption availability on my chosen flights, so was able to use Joker without issues.

Question: Shorthaul segments seem to require a lot more Avios before discount. For example, Zone 2 destinations initially cost 9,500 Avios (oneway PE off peak before discount) but today I was priced 11,000 Avios for the same (which became 8,250 Avios after 25% discount). Is this correct - if so, seems like BA had jacked up the redemption prices, then gave a discount?

Furthermore the agent (based in India) that I spoke with didn't seem to be completely familiar with this promotion. At one stage, she had to read live and understand the terms and conditions herself with me, while I was on the line. Then I was shockingly told that the discount applied to ONLY the destinations displayed on BA's website - which was totally incorrect, as I'm aware from this thread that many others have redeemed for destinations aside from the handful or so mentioned on the website as EXAMPLES. I pointed this out and insisted that she checked internally. She then put me on an extremely long hold, and came back with the costing, apologising profusely.

Got to the booking in the end, didn't need to HUACA, but not an overall smooth experience.
I noticed the same thing. Is it confirmed that award chart was changed for short haul flights???
Old Oct 10, 20, 12:28 am

Programs: Latam, Iberia, BAEC, JAL
I didnīt understand,
Could you please explain how they charge short haul flights differently?
Booking them separately or combined with a long haul flight I am getting the same price, which seems not to have any discount..
Old Oct 10, 20, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Foofighter69 View Post
bump...

any news? I didnít pay attention when I had a despair moment when I spoke to an agent to book an avios ticket to find the seats were gone and she said donít worry as Gold youíre no worse off. I didnít listen and said thanks and put the phone down.

Penny just dropped - is this 50% offer essentially an Amex 241 without the use of the voucher AND any route and any date 30 days out, for Golds??
correction, I called up (at 1.38am it seems - the US line - after umpteen glasses of wine). Of course I was drunk and wrong.

But still, the good news is while this offer is on you can as a Gold use GPR to open up any seat for the STANDARD rather than double number of avios up to 30 days from departure.
mikeyfly and ENTP like this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by seputus View Post

Iím pretty sure if you move it voluntarily it will be repriced at the prevailing rates. But if BA cancels then you can move it without paying anything else. You would have to pick your dates though (hence the advice not to call until you know when you want to go!)
seputus likes this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Sorry but does this sale include ex-EU long haul? Like CDG-LHR-JFK or something like that? I tried to book in First, which is available for my outbound date, but each day I search around the April timeframe for the return there is no First. So I click on business for the return and it came up with 93250 avios and over 500 EUR. Where is the sale?
Old Oct 10, 20, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by tobsw View Post
yes
Not sure if it's any help... I booked Rio - Manchester in business online thinking get the seats booked first. Then called about the taxes, but they say they can't help and that it has to go to the 'fares' department to look at the total and then I will receive an email. So probably best to book by phone, wish I had done so now.
Old Oct 10, 20, 5:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Sorry but does this sale include ex-EU long haul? Like CDG-LHR-JFK or something like that? I tried to book in First, which is available for my outbound date, but each day I search around the April timeframe for the return there is no First. So I click on business for the return and it came up with 93250 avios and over 500 EUR. Where is the sale?
What would the normal avios rates be for those flights?
Old Oct 10, 20, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
What would the normal avios rates be for those flights?
See here https://www.britishairways.com/en-fr...d-flight-offer

68K instead of 136K, but that doesn't count the CDG leg which can't be much.
Old Oct 10, 20, 6:26 am

New first seat

Any idea on the routes that the new 777-300 first seat with door will be on?

Search this Thread