Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AVIOS SALE! 50% off long haul redemptions, 25% off short haul

AVIOS SALE! 50% off long haul redemptions, 25% off short haul

Old Oct 7, 2020, 10:18 pm

Some of the destinations are really bugged...

For example, LON-CUN-LON peak dates in normal circumstances is 50k + taxes per pax, so 100k for 2 pax. With 2-4-1 it comes to 50k (100k/2). Then with 50% discount comes to 25k. But in reality, I see this:

Old Oct 7, 2020, 10:58 pm

We have a booking LHR-KUL-SYD-SIN-LHR that we pushed from may this year to next year. We then rebooked yesterday based on this offer. Question I have, chances of getting to Sydney are low. If we cancel the syd-sin. Will they have to rebook the whole trip...at the higher rates after the 13th. Or will they just be able to cancel that part of the trip. Don't want to be hit with double the avios.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by oruvin
Some of the destinations are really bugged...

For example, LON-CUN-LON peak dates in normal circumstances is 50k + taxes per pax, so 100k for 2 pax. With 2-4-1 it comes to 50k (100k/2). Then with 50% discount comes to 25k. But in reality, I see this:

Give them a call. I had no issues getting through to the several times yesterday.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:15 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Quick question for those who know more than I do. I used GUF that will expire in Nov 2020 (already extended 6 months previously from May 2020) in booking under this sale, for a flight next year. If I cancel my flight after Nov 2020, will my GUF be reinstated if so what will be the expiry date? I did a search and there seems to be a feedback from someone here that it will be extended for ANOTHER 12 months from the last expiry date? Is this BA's latest policy?
I’m in a similar position. I asked BA and was told by multiple agents that they would have to request an extension of the voucher but that it would not be guaranteed as it’s already been extended once, plus the extension request could take a few days as they are short staffed.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 3:25 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Have already paid for seat selection on a J booking for December...is there any chance I could take these over to a new booking?

Given the cost of the seats it might not be worth rebooking just to save some Avios.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by yokozuma
Have already paid for seat selection on a J booking for December...is there any chance I could take these over to a new booking?

Given the cost of the seats it might not be worth rebooking just to save some Avios.
I believe that you can with an FTV. Whether or not an FTV would be issued in time is another matter.
yokozuma likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Time to cancel those £700 reward flights ... BA lauching 747 £999 Club World fares to commemorate ....
sunshinebob and TTmex like this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by KARFA
why not make a speculative booking for next year? worst case scenario is you can cancel and you will lose £35 per person.
Originally Posted by T8191
Why not, I say glibly! We already have two for next year (both using the BA Holidays safety-net). I’ve also acquired a degree of skill this after cancelling several foreign holidays with a full refund! The £35 pp is trivial. More to discuss with Lady T 👍
OK, just done the deed! BA Holidays in Feb/Mar to Punta Cana [repeat of my PUJ20 trip report].

Super-helpful Agent, working from home in isolation as she has caught Covid-19! Separate Flight and Hotel bookings, with a reinstated 2-4-1 applied to the flights. JER-LON-PUJ in CE/CW for two cost £1018 + 68,300 Avios, which I guess is 50% off. Hotel cost was exactly the same as if I had booked direct with the hotel, but appears to earn 72,715 Avios! Both aspects charged in full, sadly, due to using the 2-4-1. Any cancellation would lead to Refund or Future Travel Voucher, but the 2-4-1 would NOT be extended as it already has had th 6-month extension.

Now to wait for numerous flight changes, as BA currently seems to be thinking of operating JER/LGW rotations by then!
bakera and wilsnunn like this.

Last edited by T8191; Oct 8, 2020 at 5:50 am
Old Oct 8, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Blue, SPG Silver
The surcharges are extreme for the premium products,

£100 for economy isn't bad tho
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Wink

Originally Posted by Hawker_Hunter
The surcharges are extreme for the premium products,

£100 for economy isn't bad tho
A cry heard so often here. I have no idea what people actually except BA to charge, but I suppose they would like everything free.

How BA expects to make a profit I have no idea, but I think it’s fair to guess that someone in Waterside has actually done some detailed calculations, instead of using a dartboard.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:11 am
Suspended

A cry heard so often here. I have no idea what people actually except BA to charge, but I suppose they would like everything free.

How BA expects to make a profit I have no idea, but I think it’s fair to guess that someone in Waterside has actually done some detailed calculations, instead of using a dartboard.
In my mind, the BAEC program has many strengths and a number of sweet spots. But there's no reason to sugar-coat things. They do add some pretty hefty YQ to long-hauls from some points of origin (UK, EU, US in particular). It's no problem if you got flexible-point currency such as Amex membership rewards. Consider booking the outbound with another programme, and use BAEC for the inbound, making use of countries which limit or prohibit YQ surcharges.
ermis177 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:33 am

Great sale jumped on two CW seats London to Seychelles with a 2-4-1 for just 62500 avios round trip.

Trying to cancel an avios booking from yesterday now (within 24 hours) Does anyone know if there is still a way to cancel avios bookings online, or will I have to call?

Last edited by Freddorick; Oct 8, 2020 at 11:40 am
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.

Well I beg to differ. Since 1996 I have redeemed 2+ million Avios (formerly called BA Miles) for countless LHR-ORD-LHR trips in Club World. The tax and fees for Club award bookings on that route were initially close to $0 in 1996 and they gradually rose to a still negligible $40 per booking by 2005. They really exploded after WTI spiked to $166 a barrel in June 2008 so BA came up with that oil surcharge scam which never went away (they may have changed its name but it's essentially the same BS.) By Nov 2009 the taxes and fees for a LHR-ORD-LHR award in Club World amounted to $490 and they've kept rising since then. Funny how BA conveniently forgot to remove those ridiculous surcharges even as WTI prices had stabilized and travel was again booming after the financial crisis and all airlines (but especially BA) were making a mint, which was essentially the case for the ten years up to March 2020.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
HKG-LHR 2pax in J...
75000 Avios + £ 2,821.74
Haha ... what is the point!
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver

Does BA need to make a profit from avios redemptions as well? Many other airlines are not making a profit and charge much less for miles redemptions. BA is well known for the ridiculous excessive 'carrier fees'.
I have flown with some much superior C products in long haul while paying less than £100 in most cases. Singapore airlines, United, Swiss, Thai, Eva Air and more.

The difference is that many airlines are accepting the mile redemption as a loss for them and as a 'small gift' for the customer's loyalty. BA does not in many cases.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.