Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Antigua flight and holiday.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2020, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Rubecula
Will the trombones be out on Saturday?
Good luck with insurable travel opportunities.
hahaha! 👏

Back on the ANU topic (with apologies for the diversion via PUJ!) we are moderately confident that our booking to ANU and COCOS for July will be realised, once Jersey gets a credible Private PCR testing capability.

Less confident about PHX in May, unless Biden gets elected and starts opening their Border to equally infected Brits! 🤪
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:18 pm
Suspended

I am booked for PUJ in February. BA planning 3x weekly from LGW from December 1st according to the website.

Attracted to Dominican Republic as no covid test nor quarantine and its open borders!

If BA cancel the flight would they reroute us via Madrid with Air Europa or Iberia does anyone know?

Hope the Antigua trip works out!
Old Oct 30, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
I am booked for PUJ in February. BA planning 3x weekly from LGW from December 1st according to the website.

Attracted to Dominican Republic as no covid test nor quarantine and its open borders!

If BA cancel the flight would they reroute us via Madrid with Air Europa or Iberia does anyone know?

Hope the Antigua trip works out!
If BA cancels the flight, then IMO your best option would be to get them to book you on Iberia via Madrid to SDQ. It's about a 2 hour drive to PUJ, motorway all the way, and you can combine with a trip to the Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo which is lovely. From what I understand, unless things change considerably it's unlikely that BA will be returning to PUJ anytime soon. The loads on flights are just not enough and almost nobody is booking. PM me if you want more help on Dominican Republic, I live here and own a hotel.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 8:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JessicaB
If BA cancels the flight, then IMO your best option would be to get them to book you on Iberia via Madrid to SDQ. It's about a 2 hour drive to PUJ, motorway all the way, and you can combine with a trip to the Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo which is lovely. From what I understand, unless things change considerably it's unlikely that BA will be returning to PUJ anytime soon. The loads on flights are just not enough and almost nobody is booking. PM me if you want more help on Dominican Republic, I live here and own a hotel.
Thanks for the offer of help, I likely will PM you sooner to the time!

If the booking is to PUJ, would they agree to move me to SDQ and arrange a transfer?

Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
Back to Antigua.

We are going ( we hope 8 Nov ).

COVID Test NOW REQUIRED at a MEDICAL practioner. we are booked Monday but Boris may put us in blinking LOCKDOWN next week.

Drinking Rum now as its so depressing, all I am is a bank to to the Holiday Companies who just keep cancelling holidays.

x fingers for Monday but looks like if Insurance is invalid or return flight dodgy we cannot really go in any November to be announced English lockdown.

Guess we have to delay arrangements to later if this happens,

2 weeks off work & nothing but these 4 blinking walls like usual!

Steve
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by steveggetit
Back to Antigua.

COVID Test NOW REQUIRED at a MEDICAL practioner. we are booked Monday but Boris may put us in blinking LOCKDOWN next week.

Drinking Rum now as its so depressing, all I am is a bank to to the Holiday Companies who just keep cancelling holidays.

x fingers for Monday but looks like if Insurance is invalid or return flight dodgy we cannot really go in any November to be announced English lockdown.

Steve
Does a lockdown really stop you getting a COVID test?

My understanding is that insurance would only be invalid if the FCO changed their advice to ABE. without that change then any lockdown only advises you to make essential journeys only, the airport would still be open and the if the flight is going then the border is open. Even in the current circuit breaker in Wales, which does restrict movement then Cardiff airport is still open. Even tier 3 areas of the UK are discouraged from travelling into other areas, but aren't forbidden from going overseas.

I'm still hoping to travel, but I guess the main risk is BA cancelling flights.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by T8191
Sadly, I am cursed by becoming 76-yo on Saturday ... so Battleface won’t insure me!! 😢
At least my extant insurance through AXA runs until I’m 80, and I have a faint hope of being able to travel again before then! 😎

I will review the road transfer again. Google Earth wasn’t encouraging.
Just another angle on the insurance. If it's only medical insurance you are looking for, Bupa Global (based in Dublin) offers a private health insurance policy for non-pre-existing conditions, including covid, valid in all countries of the world except the USA (which can be added for a fee). It's not cheap - I pay €350 a month as a 42yo smoker - but it may solve your issues in the short term.
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by steveggetit
Back to Antigua.

Steve
On insurance try battleface.co.uk they cover for trips even if FCO advice is not to go and also cover COVID. I use them and I’m impressed with the service

I am writing this from Dom rep and if anyone is thinking about coming to the Caribbean my advice is just come. Weather is lovely and at least where I am there is far less COVID and far less fuss about COVID than in the UK
Old Oct 31, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
We are in Antigua at the Carlisle Bay resort right now. Seems pretty relaxed.

We had home kit results and they were accepted no questions asked.

We are here because of a diverted BA255 on 30/10 to Barbados (airport closed reason unknown). BA have pulled out all the stops when it comes to arranging hotels & taxis. Not one hiccup!
Old Oct 31, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Foofighter69
We are in Antigua at the Carlisle Bay resort right now. Seems pretty relaxed.

We had home kit results and they were accepted no questions asked.

We are here because of a diverted BA255 on 30/10 to Barbados (airport closed reason unknown). BA have pulled out all the stops when it comes to arranging hotels & taxis. Not one hiccup!
What happens when you get to Barbados and your pre arrival test is outside their 3 day protocol? I thought I had come up with every scenario before my Barbados flight next week but the diversion to Antigua was something I had not considered.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
What happens when you get to Barbados and your pre arrival test is outside their 3 day protocol? I thought I had come up with every scenario before my Barbados flight next week but the diversion to Antigua was something I had not considered.
One would think they would be given some leeway as a result of the diversion. But I guess the other alternative would be to test all of them on arrival.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Just another angle on the insurance. If it's only medical insurance you are looking for, Bupa Global (based in Dublin) offers a private health insurance policy for non-pre-existing conditions, including covid, valid in all countries of the world except the USA (which can be added for a fee). It's not cheap - I pay €350 a month as a 42yo smoker - but it may solve your issues in the short term.
haha ... excluded again! This is getting ridiculous! 🤪

The issuing of new policies are still suspended for customers with permanent residency, and for companies with official registered address, in the following countries: Mexico, Jordan, Indonesia, Nigeria and Ghana in addition to the United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey, Falkland Islands, Isle of Man or Gibraltar.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by T8191
haha ... excluded again! This is getting ridiculous! 🤪
You're really not having much luck, are you?
Old Nov 2, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I had done the same thinking and missed this scenario! We were pretty stressed about having to get tested on arrival and do 5 days in quarantine. We even looked up villas in Antigua and were on the phone to BA to switch to a return from Antigua! Alas the phone coverage is patchy on the island while in transit and we had multiple dropped calls. When we checked in the Antigua Outstation manager Patrice assured us that she had been in touch via her Barbados peer with the authorities in Barbados, and agreed that we would not need to worry about it being day 4.

When we landed they put us in a separate line to the incoming BA255 from a day after we departed (oh the irony) and they checked our tests and accepted them even though they were 4 days old.

We have already had our second test (day 5) at The Crane resort where were are in a very comfortable quarantine.

I did enjoy my 20 hours in Antigua, better weather and no quarantine restrictions!
sunshinebob and T8191 like this.

Last edited by Foofighter69; Nov 2, 2020 at 5:46 am
Old Jul 5, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: BA GGL. Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Back to Antigua Covid testing requirements. I am heading out in a couple of weeks and planning to use ExpressTest drive through at T4. Is this deemed acceptable to the authorities in Antigua as taken by a medical professional? Also does anyone know if there is a lounge in use at the airport for the departure from ANU. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.