Maldives 8-12 November

Old Oct 4, 20, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Talking Maldives 8-12 November

I am hoping that the vast experience in this forum can answer a few questions for me:

1. I booked an Avios redemption to male on 8th on the direct 777 BA flight. Where should I sit on the 777 as a lone passenger?

There appear to be seats in every row available in economy.

2. HOTEL - I havenít booked a hotel yet. There are some deals like the Curio for £600ish for 3 nights all inclusive. I would love to stay at the St Regis or Waldorf but I donít think I can justify that expense. Any suggestions? I have around 60,000 HH points and 20,000 Marriott which wonít get me much of anything there but maybe someone has an idea?

3. TESTS - Where do I get a test for COVID in time for the flight?

Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 20, 4:04 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hilton/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Spinstorm View Post
I am hoping that the vast experience in this forum can answer a few questions for me:

1. I booked an Avios redemption to male on 8th on the direct 777 BA flight. Where should I sit on the 777 as a lone passenger?

There appear to be seats in every row available in economy.

2. HOTEL - I havenít booked a hotel yet. There are some deals like the Curio for £600ish for 3 nights all inclusive. I would love to stay at the St Regis or Waldorf but I donít think I can justify that expense. Any suggestions? I have around 60,000 HH points and 20,000 Marriott which wonít get me much of anything there but maybe someone has an idea?

Thanks!
Have a good trip
Old Oct 4, 20, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA
I've got a voucher for 5nts at Soneva Fushi including Half Board and Seaplane transfers that will be useless if I can't get it extended to include next year. If I can't then you're welcome to it.
roy2016 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 20, 4:24 pm

What is your risk tolerance like?

There are currently active cases in 20 resorts. As someone who got stuck on an island in the Maldives in March due to it being locked down for a suspected coronavirus case I would really urge you to think carefully about your plan B. In my case there wasnít one as the Government ordered the seaplane transfers to stop and no one was permitted to enter or leave the island (by plane or boat). Getting trapped really changes your view of paradise!

The extra costs associated with this lockdown werenít covered by my insurance (despite the Maldives not being on the FCO list when I left the UK), which probably doesnít matter as I imagine that you canít get any insurance now in the UK for the Maldives.

Iíd also think twice if you want to dive - all of the decompression chambers closed in the middle of my trip - I donít know if they have reopened or how much a visit would cost without insurance. Once the resort reopened and the dive schools could operate again they were using nitrox with air profiles and limiting the number of multiple dives for safety.

Ps if anyone knows where you can get insurance in the UK for the Maldives please shout! I also have a voucher to use....
goldengate likes this.
Old Oct 4, 20, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
I've got a voucher for 5nts at Soneva Fushi including Half Board and Seaplane transfers that will be useless if I can't get it extended to include next year. If I can't then you're welcome to it.
Are you able to PM me so we can discuss? As I canít message you direct. Thanks.
Old Oct 4, 20, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by polochick View Post
What is your risk tolerance like?

There are currently active cases in 20 resorts. As someone who got stuck on an island in the Maldives in March due to it being locked down for a suspected coronavirus case I would really urge you to think carefully about your plan B. In my case there wasn’t one as the Government ordered the seaplane transfers to stop and no one was permitted to enter or leave the island (by plane or boat). Getting trapped really changes your view of paradise!

The extra costs associated with this lockdown weren’t covered by my insurance (despite the Maldives not being on the FCO list when I left the UK), which probably doesn’t matter as I imagine that you can’t get any insurance now in the UK for the Maldives.

I’d also think twice if you want to dive - all of the decompression chambers closed in the middle of my trip - I don’t know if they have reopened or how much a visit would cost without insurance. Once the resort reopened and the dive schools could operate again they were using nitrox with air profiles and limiting the number of multiple dives for safety.
All very good points, however I am aware that everything right now is able to be cancelled and refunded pretty much so I am willing to make the bookings and see what happens.

It is still a month away and it is perfectly possible that by then we can’t even leave our homes again but I am hopeful that things will get better not worse.

In terms of activities I just fancy somewhere different and if I can’t go diving it won’t spoil it for me.

In terms of cases surely this is where a booking at one of the more remote hotels helps?
Old Oct 4, 20, 4:51 pm

It is still a month away and it is perfectly possible that by then we canít even leave our homes again but I am hopeful that things will get better not worse.

In terms of cases surely this is where a booking at one of the more remote hotels helps?
The Maldives are very open about reporting their figures - google Maldives HPA and you will get their official twitter account where they announce the cases each day.

As to whether you book at a remote hotel - most of them, other than a few around Male that you can take a boat to, are on individual islands and are quite remote. I was at a resort about 30 mins away from Male by sea plane. It felt very isolated when we were locked down, police in biohazard suits arrived and the manager was ordering a tanker to come to fill up the fuel tanks on the island to the max. I guess the main issue of being somewhere remote is what happens if you get really ill. I think all of the resorts have GP type doctors in basic clinics, but nothing sophisticated. As you would expect for a small country, even in the capital Male facilities were not super advanced pre Covid - for anything serious you would be medivac-ed to Sri Lanka, I donít know if that is still an option. The side issue is where you are taken to self isolate / be treated if you do get sick or get notified that eg someone near you on the flight has tested positive.
Old Oct 4, 20, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
That 10 across Y is tough! I’d try and grab mid four row 48 onwards and hope no one else does. Likely the window threes will fill first
Old Oct 4, 20, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
That 10 across Y is tough! Iíd try and grab mid four row 48 onwards and hope no one else does. Likely the window threes will fill first
49-50 middle rows all empty
Window Exit row 40 A available
Aisle Exit row 40 H available
The rear twos 52-53 are both available and I assume as a Gold member would have the seat blocked next to me?
Old Oct 4, 20, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold

Thanks!
Lots of places on Harley Street seem to be offering. I don't need to decide until the end of the month, but these keep coming up in adverts on my social media:

https://www.haleclinic.com/pcr-test-for-travel

https://privateharleystreetclinic.co...travel-testing

www.chaselodgehospital.com (NW London)
Old Oct 4, 20, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluemoon68 View Post
Lots of places on Harley Street seem to be offering. I don't need to decide until the end of the month, but these keep coming up in adverts on my social media:

https://www.haleclinic.com/pcr-test-for-travel

https://privateharleystreetclinic.co...travel-testing

www.chaselodgehospital.com (NW London)
Do the NHS tests count? (Just asking the question)

Anywhere cheaper - those london prices are steep!
Old Oct 4, 20, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Do the NHS tests count? (Just asking the question)

Anywhere cheaper - those london prices are steep!
See these threads for some LHR test information (both from the last couple of days):
Covid PCR test - London
COVID testing recs for LHR?

You need to check to see what the Maldives requires.
Also see:
What is the latest you can cancel a reward booking
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/2012960-maldives-4.html

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Oct 4, 20 at 7:02 pm Reason: add link
Old Oct 5, 20, 1:09 am

I am also ticketed on BA to MLE early November. So far IMHO chances are very low these flights will even operate. Am I wrong to already assume that BA will most likely cancel?
Old Oct 5, 20, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
I would also appreciate a PM if you're interested, thanks!
Old Oct 5, 20, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Originally Posted by Epicura View Post
I am also ticketed on BA to MLE early November. So far IMHO chances are very low these flights will even operate. Am I wrong to already assume that BA will most likely cancel?
I would imagine now it's at LHR BA are banking on MLE getting a decent amount of connecting traffic from the US and also elsewhere in Europe without direct flights. Unless the UK Government does something totally crazy and restricts transit passengers, I would imagine MLE is probably on the short list of BA longhaul routes most likely to survive. If worst comes to worst I could definitely see it being down-gauged to a 787, but I don't see it being cut unless things get really bad.
Epicura likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: