Wiki Posts
Search

Maldives 8-12 November

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2020, 1:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by Mike P
The sense of self entitlement in the last couple of posts in this thread is nauseatingly strong. Go for it chaps but bear in mind, you are very likely to be breaking the law either here or in the Maldives so don't come bleating back when it all goes wrong.
I have a contract in place, containing a stipulated set of deliverables which must be completed for my Maldivian client within a set timeframe.
That timeframe falls within the dates of the UK lockdown.

This job cannot be completed from home and I must travel to carry it out.

Which law am I breaking?

Originally Posted by Farringdon
Need to check your travel/heath insurance wording very carefully. Most travel insurance policies don't cover business travel - so if you're trying to make a case that it's a business trip, then you risk losing insurance cover (or at least giving the insurer an easy route to deny coverage).
Amex platinum insurance: Annual multi-trip business and leisure trips

Will give them a quick call on Thursday though, presuming that MPs vote through the new measures and see whether this invalidates the insurance.

If it does I'll take out additional insurance with Battleface for around £65.

Originally Posted by JessicaB
Exactly this. I also want to add that I own a hotel in the Caribbean and am fed up to the back teeth of scroungers saying "give me a free room and I will feature you on my blog as I'm such an important influencer". I get at least one a day, and they're never half as important or influential as they claim to be. The type of person who thinks they shouldn't need to pay for a room is exactly the same type who thinks that lockdowns and immigration rules don't apply to them.
It must be a very tough time to own a hotel right now and I can understand why you might not want to spend a lot on marketing at the moment.

I'm not sure that the entire staff of the Sunday Times Travel supplement don't think that lockdowns and immigration rules apply to them though.
Are those working in print media exempt from your assertion?
Old Nov 3, 2020, 4:03 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Just to add something quickly - a lot of the time it is actually the hotel that approaches the media opposed to the other way round.

Sure the hotel will comp their rooms for a few days, but the exposure the hotel gains can be significant - and they'll invite people from a variety of different medias because that means they're seen by different demographics.

For the most part, I'm sure it is 'Influencers' reaching out to hotels offering them guaranteed exposure, but it does swing the other way and can be quite lucrative for the hotels (and sometimes far cheaper than it used to be to gain interest).

I was in Capri last month, and on our final day there were 6 'Influencers' who had been given free rooms in exchange for media coverage. Two of the people I spoke to were Instagram people (albeit from different countries to ensure different followers saw the content), and the others were from different media forms.

I found the whole thing quite interesting and looked at the posts they put up.

They took a variety of photos of the suites, which they were not staying in, as well as generic location photos featuring the hotel.

Net result? My Mother called me on Sunday to ask if I'd seen that the hotel had been featured in one of the Sunday papers, and commented on how wonderful it looked.

I know the cost to the hotel (the FOM told me), and I can absolutely guarantee the gain in future bookings has easily covered it.

Don't be too quick to judge.

M
Jermyn likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 4:08 am

With respect they weren't spinning a holiday into a business trip in order to satisfy Italian entry requirements. Nor seeking any validation or blessing in order to do so. I think there lies the difference.
polochick, Epicura and JessicaB like this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Jermyn
I have a contract in place, containing a stipulated set of deliverables which must be completed for my Maldivian client within a set timeframe.
That timeframe falls within the dates of the UK lockdown.

This job cannot be completed from home and I must travel to carry it out.

Which law am I breaking?
Sounds very much like a business trip then so you are not bound by UK law. I'm sure being a business trip you are entering the Maldives on a business visa and carrying out the required 14 day quarantine required for business trips so perhaps not breaking the law there either.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 2:23 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by Mike P
I'm sure being a business trip you are entering the Maldives on a business visa and carrying out the required 14 day quarantine required for business trips so perhaps not breaking the law there either.
There's no 14 day quarantine requirement on Business Visas as they fall within the short term visitor category.

Work visas require the 14 day quarantine as they apply to a different category of visitor (long term employees)

https://immigration.gov.mv/pre-entry...g-to-maldives/
Spinstorm likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:45 pm

With BA MLE flights now suspended 09NOV-03DEC you should have received formal notification of your flight cancellation on the return sector. Have you managed to postpone the trip to December/next year or decided to cancel and refund?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.