2-4-1 Voucher extension hack

Old Oct 3, 2020, 11:45 am
Original Poster

2-4-1 Voucher extension hack

I have an Amex 2-4-1 that will expire shortly as I have not been able to use it. Result of cancelled flight earlier in year.

Would it be possible to book any old Avios flight using the 2-4-1. Then cancel for future travel voucher. This would then be valid including the build in 2-4-1 till April 2022 if I read correctly.

Or have I got this all wrong?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 11:52 am

Yes, that works fine & has been used by many already. Ideally pick the cheapest option you can eg. AMS to tie up as little cash as possible.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, your plan is right, see plenty of discussion here

Book with confidence policy

And just a few threads down here

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion
Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Yes it’s been used many many times before on here, including by myself
Old Oct 4, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
How does it work then as I looked back in those threads and couldn’t see anything. I got a 241 back after having to cancel back in April which will expire soon.

Do you book a 241 flight. Then cancel and take a future travel voucher and just pay the difference in taxes (for both) and avios for just one of the tickets because of the 241 voucher used?
Old Oct 4, 2020, 4:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jday
How does it work then as I looked back in those threads and couldn’t see anything. I got a 241 back after having to cancel back in April which will expire soon.

Do you book a 241 flight. Then cancel and take a future travel voucher and just pay the difference in taxes (for both) and avios for just one of the tickets because of the 241 voucher used?
yes, book anything with your 241 (rtn in ET to AMS will do) then request a FTV. everything is in the FTV including avios, cash, voucher.

when you come to make a new booking tell them you want to use your FTV and they will charge you any extra avios and taxes/fees/charges due above the ones held in the FTV.
jday and mastutio like this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mda03jb
Ideally pick the cheapest option you can eg. AMS to tie up as little cash as possible.
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes, book anything with your 241 (rtn in ET to AMS will do) ...
Is there a need to book anything as expensive as a round-trip, or as expensive as AMS?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is there a need to book anything as expensive as a round-trip, or as expensive as AMS?
what would you suggest was a cheaper route?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by KARFA
what would you suggest was a cheaper route?
I think my one-way LHR-EDI fare was cheaper, but I could be wrong
Old Oct 5, 2020, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by ttama
I think my one-way LHR-EDI fare was cheaper, but I could be wrong
same band, 4000 off peak and 4500 peak, zone 1 is 1-650 miles.

just to add, maybe booking a one way is better than a return, although 241 terms say it should only be used for a return. however, you can't get cheaper than zone 1.
megaloman likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Remember that changing names on an FTV seems not possible to pick your fellow passenger carefully. Can a one way be turned into a return later via FTV or vice versa with no trouble?
mastutio likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:48 pm

I have a voucher expiring Jan21 and another expiring Jan22. We would like to travel as a family of 4 using both vouchers in Aug21. Should I book the LHR-AMS return for just 2 of us using the voucher expiring Jan21 or should I book for the 4 of us using the 2 vouchers? I'm guessing I should just leave the second voucher out of it?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Remember that changing names on an FTV seems not possible to pick your fellow passenger carefully. Can a one way be turned into a return later via FTV or vice versa with no trouble?
Just following up on what i've just asked does that mean when you come to use a FTV it causes problems if you try to apply a second 2for1 voucher on the new booking?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.