Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Checked luggage and skipping the connecting flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked luggage and skipping the connecting flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mda03jb
I think they’re a little cuter with this now. I’ve had ex EU’s or INV’s that will reprice to a significantly higher sum with an overnight (though less than 24hr) stop at LHR. The LGW shuffle is the most foolproof, although obviously not currently.

From experience, BA’s US check in agents are very wise to your intentions here so I really wouldn’t even ask. Considering you can get away with 2 decent sized carry-on’s each for a long haul J flight I’d strongly echo the advice about avoiding checked bags for the return leg.

it’s probably worth reading the advice about back to back transfers as well if you’re not overnighting in BRU. Counterintuitively they’re safer than a longer connection.
Not correct in OP’s case. The LUX-USA-BRU deal does not have any price difference doing last leg next day. In USA there is no issue from these airports requesting luggage to LHR only with an overnight involved.

Below example

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#fl...30*2.GBP.67430
Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Not correct in OP’s case. The LUX-USA-BRU deal does not have any price difference doing last leg next day. In USA there is no issue from these airports requesting luggage to LHR only with an overnight involved.
What’s the default with an overnight? Checked through or returned at LHR...?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checked to LHR - they see the date as two days later on their system and don’t resist
etiene likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Could one of you not do the flight to LUX to pick up the luggage and have the others leave at LHR?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jh1978
Please excuse my noobiness, but can you explain how I can do that?
Either use the Multi City module on BA.com, just above the From box, splitting the trip up between dates as required. Or ring up, get the agent to line up the booking for you and get it put on hold for 72 hours with a 10€ deposit. There may be a service charge for this but you can then get it paid for in sterling or US dollars at a favourable rate, so it may even out dependng on your plastic collection.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
This would be my suggestion. Shipping the suitcase from Houston home should be cheaper than rebooking.
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Could one of you not do the flight to LUX to pick up the luggage and have the others leave at LHR?
This is a lot of faff and not what OP wants to do
Old Oct 3, 2020, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Of course it is. But, if it comes down to balancing cost vs. faff, it is for OP to make a decision.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 2:03 am

I would choose a flight to the continent that goes from LGW/LCY on the way back (I realise LGW isn’t flying...). Then they can’t check your bags all the way through.

I have heard the traffic can be so bad on the M25/M4 that it causes some people to miss the last return segment. Most unfortunate.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Either use the Multi City module on BA.com, just above the From box, splitting the trip up between dates as required. Or ring up, get the agent to line up the booking for you and get it put on hold for 72 hours with a 10€ deposit. There may be a service charge for this but you can then get it paid for in sterling or US dollars at a favourable rate, so it may even out dependng on your plastic collection.
How does this reprice in GBP work exactly? Once the booking is held, does it reprice in GBP and I can pay online? Or do I need to call in again to pay for it and ask for GBP at that time?
I am just about to pull the trigger on similar flights but with car hire added to make it a BA Holiday booking; do you know if this currency change will still work in this scenario?

thanks
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by zanderblue
How does this reprice in GBP work exactly? Once the booking is held, does it reprice in GBP and I can pay online? Or do I need to call in again to pay for it and ask for GBP at that time?
I am just about to pull the trigger on similar flights but with car hire added to make it a BA Holiday booking; do you know if this currency change will still work in this scenario?
I don't know about BAH, in fact if you start in mainland Europe your BAH booking is operated by BA in Bremen, rather than the UK. I can't recall any experiences mentioned in the forum either.

For flights only, then BA use a daily updated IATA exchange rate for bookings, which will be close to the spot market exchange rate, which is not usually accessible for other consumber transactions. I don't think it works for all combinations, but certainly for GBP, EUR, USD, CAD, NOK, DKK, you can have a point of sale in LUX, departing LUX, priced initially in Euros, but a contact centre agent can reprice it quite easily into GBP, and it hits your credit card as a local UK transaction. Bear in mind that Amex charges 2.99% on many forex transactions, whereas the Service Fee is £10 (allegedly £20 at airports). So anything over £350 would be better done over the telephone.
zanderblue likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
how about accept the fare is the fare for a reason? you are getting an amazing deal by going to LUX for positioning and you just need to take it on the chin

Alternatively if you want LHR-MIA, take it like a man and pay the fare.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:27 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
how about accept the fare is the fare for a reason? you are getting an amazing deal by going to LUX for positioning and you just need to take it on the chin

Alternatively if you want LHR-MIA, take it like a man and pay the fare.
Ah but this is specifically why we are all here on this forum, to get round the rules and regulations and get a higher travel class for a lower amount of money than everyone else is paying
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:38 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
take an old case and clothes you no longer want
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by BOH
Ah but this is specifically why we are all here on this forum, to get round the rules and regulations and get a higher travel class for a lower amount of money than everyone else is paying
i agree many are here to geta higher travel class and/or lower amount of money.

I do not believe most people are here to get around the rules and regs.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:36 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
i agree many are here to geta higher travel class and/or lower amount of money.

I do not believe most people are here to get around the rules and regs.
Then we agree to differ! Whether it is about someone trying to get an extra guest in the lounge or a pax boarding with more carry-on than the rules and regs allow....I would say everyone of us on here may try things like that, particularly the latter!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.