Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holidays [using LUX as a starting point]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2020, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

I’m looking to try and take advantage of the premium fare deal for LUX to USA later next year. Ideally, I’d like to book flights and hotel package and thus make it a holiday and pay deposit right now with balance 5 weeks prior to travel.
I can’t get the option to pay deposit. Are BA holidays only available for departures ex UK?

TIA
Old Oct 3, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
That’s always been my experience, yes.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by zanderblue
I’m looking to try and take advantage of the premium fare deal for LUX to USA later next year. Ideally, I’d like to book flights and hotel package and thus make it a holiday and pay deposit right now with balance 5 weeks prior to travel.
I can’t get the option to pay deposit. Are BA holidays only available for departures ex UK?

TIA
No, should be fine. I have booked ex-Amsterdam without issues.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold

TIA
Create Custom Trip and start in BRU end in LUX. You’ll be able to use the deposit function and pay the balance 21 days before travel
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Interesting; I tried this with some ex-eu flights and it wasn’t having it. Will try again next time!
Old Oct 3, 2020, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
There are some non-obvious criteria for being able to just pay a deposit. Just having flight + hotel isn’t the whole story. Things like currency, POS and maybe other factors can also make a difference. Maybe there are just IT glitches also?

I have a few times found that the deposit option wasn’t offered and it wasn’t always clear why.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Interesting; I tried this with some ex-eu flights and it wasn’t having it. Will try again next time!
Won’t allow it with a LUX start, and also need to sometimes do each leg separate, will say “not possible” to MIA-LUX but will work MIA-LHR-LUX etc
Old Oct 3, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC
I believe BA Holidays aren't available for LUX departures but are OK for BRU. You can certainly do a flight/hotel/car combi paying just the deposit leaving from there - I did it last week!
Old Oct 3, 2020, 2:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I haven't checked this, but I have a feeling that LUX is different to say BRU (which currently has some interesting fares too). I don't think BAH offer LUX as a starting point for their trips. The reason is that within Europe the legal framework for package holidays varies slightly from country to country, and for smaller countries it's just not worth going through all the due diligence for a handful of passengers. There is an overarching set of protections for package holidays within the European Union, but in distinction to flight protections, the decision was made to devolve a lot of the operations down under the subsidiarity principle.

Just start from BRU instead.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 3:29 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Avios U.K. IHG diamond, Hilton Diamomd
Try Brussels

I had same problem. Ex bru works and easier to position to. Not much more.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I haven't checked this, but I have a feeling that LUX is different to say BRU (which currently has some interesting fares too). I don't think BAH offer LUX as a starting point for their trips. The reason is that within Europe the legal framework for package holidays varies slightly from country to country, and for smaller countries it's just not worth going through all the due diligence for a handful of passengers. There is an overarching set of protections for package holidays within the European Union, but in distinction to flight protections, the decision was made to devolve a lot of the operations down under the subsidiarity principle.

Just start from BRU instead.
Yes, I tried the complex holiday itinerary and still couldn’t book a BA holiday starting from LUX. I booked from BRU for a trip next August. I did manage to construct BRU-LHR-BOS-LHR-LUX but it saved a handful of euros for my dates. It’s easier for me to get to BRU from Newcastle way, so BRU made sense.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb

TIA
BTW you only need to pay the balance three weeks before if you book a BAH at the moment. If you book before 13th October, you can also get the deposit back as a FTV should you need to cancel.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Gold, HH Gold
Is it possible to use a FTV in £s towards one of these holiday bookings in €s?? TIA
Old Oct 3, 2020, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Weeelegs
Is it possible to use a FTV in £s towards one of these holiday bookings in €s?? TIA
Yes - the voucher currency will convert to payment currency when you redeem.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks to all for your help. Works a treat from BRU.
EDIwanderer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.