Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AA removes free MCE seating perk for BA elites [Update : now restored]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA removes free MCE seating perk for BA elites [Update : now restored]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Freddorick
Pretty sure this due to Alaska joining OW. They couldn’t restrict it to just “no Alaska elites are allowed to select MCE” so they took it away from everyone.
I agree with this. By the same means as not allowing their own elites to use domestic lounges without Admirals Club membership, they could have restricted other bands of elites from MCE surely. As I said earlier not a huge loss on a 1-2hr domestic, but on a 5hr transcon (which by BA standards is actually long-haul) and internationally it is a huge huge loss of comfort.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If you get a benefit from AA status:--> No
Dedicated thread (look at the wiki)----> Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)
Thanks - I remember that thread now. Sighs. I don't mind it when others double-dipping is taken away, but when my double dipping is taken away that's a different matter!

rb211.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
According to the article in TPG, free MCE seating for BA elites is back.
BA Silver, BA Gold, and BA GGL pax could select MCE seats during booking for free, and BA Bronze could select them for free during OLCI.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...world-seating/

The change is only made for BA, IB, AY & JL elites so all other oneworld elites including those from CX, QR, MH, S7, etc... would still need to pay for MCE.
our_kid, greyt, orbitmic and 7 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
According to the article in TPG, free MCE seating for BA elites is back.
BA Silver, BA Gold, and BA GGL pax could select MCE seats during booking for free, and BA Bronze could select them for free during OLCI.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...world-seating/

The change is only made for BA, IB, AY & JL elites so all other oneworld elites including those from CX, QR, MH, S7, etc... would still need to pay for MCE.
Thanks - if true that is good news. Hopefully we'll get a few reports that this is indeed the case.

rb211.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by RB211
Thanks - if true that is good news. Hopefully we'll get a few reports that this is indeed the case.

rb211.
My booking was booked before the policy change so I got my seats free. After the change, my booking honored my seat but to change it to any other MCE seat it wanted to charge me. Looking at the same booking again, it now shows free just like before.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 10:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the heads up. Just managed to move my wife to MCE for her hop up the dallas in Nov
Old Oct 22, 2020, 4:56 am

Excellent news! Thank you AA.
RB211, EDIwanderer, TTmex and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Originally Posted by RB211

rb211.
Can confirm that these seats were 62.00USD a few days ago, but now they are 0.00, flying DFW-CVG r/t the coming week.

LcS
RB211 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Very pleased that's been reversed, good decision AA.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 6:28 am
Suspended

A potentially very interesting thing is that AA has expanded the free MCE perk to BE bookings for its own elites. Some will remember that until a few years ago, you could book AA flights as as a codeshare with BA/IB/etc. in eco basic (or whatever the codeshare partner calls the cheapest eco fare option) and still receive MCE as a BAEC Silver or Gold. But that was enhanced.

My question is: Is it back? In other words, I realize AA has improved the situation for its own AAdvantage elites so they now receive MCE even when booking BE but what about us Silvers and Golds?
Old Oct 24, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Originally Posted by funkydrummer
A potentially very interesting thing is that AA has expanded the free MCE perk to BE bookings for its own elites. Some will remember that until a few years ago, you could book AA flights as as a codeshare with BA/IB/etc. in eco basic (or whatever the codeshare partner calls the cheapest eco fare option) and still receive MCE as a BAEC Silver or Gold. But that was enhanced.

My question is: Is it back? In other words, I realize AA has improved the situation for its own AAdvantage elites so they now receive MCE even when booking BE but what about us Silvers and Golds?
I have no status on AA, and I am a OneWorld Sapphire thanks to my BA Silver. I am now able to book the MCE seats for free, which I was not able to do last week, so, yes, it has been restored.

LcS
Old Oct 24, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Hi,

Just want to add, I just checked my bookings, elite could now select MCE, however, no status companion would only able to select "green seat" for free, MCE will still be charged at full price. So, either seat together at regular seat, or spilt in order to select MCE for the elite.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
Hi,

Just want to add, I just checked my bookings, elite could now select MCE, however, no status companion would only able to select "green seat" for free, MCE will still be charged at full price. So, either seat together at regular seat, or spilt in order to select MCE for the elite.
It seems to be the same situation where it's only the companion who has the status. Just tried a dummy booking and the previous perk where all passengers could select MCE provided there was a qualified elite in the party looks to have gone.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
I am now able to book the MCE seats for free, which I was not able to do last week, so, yes, it has been restored.
Restored would mean you would have to book main cabin as opposed to BE on AA, economy optimal as opposed to basic on IB, world traveller (checked baggage) as opposed to world traveller (hand baggage only) on BA...

If this works in the lowest economy fare option, it would actually be an improvement, not a return to the previous status quo.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
It seems to be the same situation where it's only the companion who has the status. Just tried a dummy booking and the previous perk where all passengers could select MCE provided there was a qualified elite in the party looks to have gone.
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
Hi,

According to the AA's forum, it might be a bug showing a charge for companions; however, the status holder and up to 8 companions will be able to select MCE seats for free. Case of point, I was able to select my MCE seats for free, my companion show the amount. A quick message to Twitter got the MCE seats assigned with no cost. It is safe to say that if you phone AA or reach out to Twitter, they will be able to assigned MCE seats for you and your companions.
Blueboys999 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.