South Africa - Will this work?

Old Oct 1, 20, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As the last two points demonstrate, doing any form of planning right now is a poor idea. Bear in mind:

1. If BA (or any carrier) cancels, you will receive a refund. If you cancel because you can't or do not wish to travel, you will almost certainly receive a credit for future use. That may tie up a lot of cash for a long time.
2. The one thing that is absolutely certain is that nobody, including the respective governments and BA, have a remote way of predicting the on ground situation any time soon. If you are looking at Christman, I would start thinking about this mid-November.
3. Expect air carriers to interpret travel requirements strictly.
4. Don't rely on phone calls with agents to interpret insurance contracts. Read the full document carefully.
T8191 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK View Post
( stuff like allowing Brazil and India but banning most of their largest European inbound tourism markets where the situation is better makes very little sense f.
Both Brazil and India are on the red list. Unfortunately the news conference to announce which countries were on the red list was a shambles. The minister got handed a phone and started reading the list out alphabetically from Puerto Rico! Some very "on the ball" websites didn't think it strange that no country alphabetically before Pu made the list and rushed to get it online. Hence rumour spread that neither India nor Brazil were on the list. During the conference the minister realised his mistake and read out a new list. This one starting with Dominican Republic, again, no one picked up that it excluded all countries beginning with the letters A-C....So this new "definitive" list was widely published, still leaving Brazil off. Only later in the evening did they realise that the minister had missed column 1 with the A-C countries and a final final list was printed (strangely enough with the Dominican Republic absent!).

As far as I understand it, UK citizens do currently need a visa to travel to South Africa (they have since March), and while it is on the red list I do not know if they will remove the requirement any time soon. Whether or not 10 days in a low risk country will help is anyone's guess, as I would assume that it would not negate the need for a visa on a UK passport........
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
BBC/Grant Shapps ... ďHe said Turkey had been added to the list because the UK had concerns about the way in which the authorities there reported their data.Ē

There are a few countries whose data/politicians I might trust, but I have another mental list of those I wonít.
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by wijibintheair View Post
Both Brazil and India are on the red list. Unfortunately the news conference to announce which countries were on the red list was a shambles.
That makes a bit more sense thanks ! ( Though equally baffling is that Spain is still on the safe list !)

I guess let's see how it pans out over time .. the fact that the border is once again open is a considerable improvement on what it was !

I remain hopeful of getting down there before too long , but not for the moment very optimistic !
littlefish and wijibintheair like this.
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
I just made a Plan B booking TXL-FRA-JNB with Lufty using their miles for the same dates as my originally planned TXL-LHR-JNB which is an Avios booking using a GUF2. Plan B looks much more certain and obviates the uncertainties of transiting at LHR/being allowed in at JNB, etc..

So I believe I can still be reasonably confident to find a way to get to JNB early November
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have a German passport, sounds good. If British then getting a visa is going to be your next challenge.
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
If you have a German passport, sounds good. If British then getting a visa is going to be your next challenge.
Covered on that - I have a German and a British passport and I intend to use the former on this trip!
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:42 pm
lmk

Programs: HH , UA, AA, Delta, SPG, IHG
SA announced that all African countries will remain on the list of "low-risk" countries regardless of their COVID status, whereas Turkey and European countries may go on and off the list of banned countries, which will be revised every 2 weeks.
Old Oct 1, 20, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
If any of this works, it will make a VERY interesting Trip Report. Forget the journey and destination ... just how you managed to do it!
littlefish likes this.
Old Oct 1, 20, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
The UK will end up off the naughty step for SA, sometime over the next 6 weeks I'd guess. You just need to be ready to strike when it happens. Hopefully the Shapps Travel Lottery aligns too.
Old Oct 1, 20, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by surryson View Post
The UK will end up off the naughty step for SA, sometime over the next 6 weeks I'd guess. You just need to be ready to strike when it happens. Hopefully the Shapps Travel Lottery aligns too.
Maybe, but I wouldn't be so sure.
It is good news that the borders are (slowly) re-opening across ZA.
Its also good news local travel is opening up more too within ZA and inter provinces. ZA authorities would do well to learn from Europe's mis-steps in opening up (internally and externally) only to find the transmission of Covid picked up. So I'll watch the ZA case data for a few weeks to see how they get on.

That said, the Visa thing is the show-stopper right now. Right old faff and that was pre-Covid when the rules would religiously change every six months. So, the 90-day UK waiver is what needs to return (has it for Deutschland?).
Reading the other stuff didn't inspire much hope on the Covid side of things. ZA seem to be letting the WHO do some of their thinking. So the economic side of the balance will probably play a poor second fiddle.

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned. How will LH, BA etc operate to ZA? From what I read the crew restrictions are to be super severe.
Old Oct 2, 20, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland View Post
Covered on that - I have a German and a British passport and I intend to use the former on this trip!
Just checking, then:

Department of Home Affairs - Exempt Countries

This list that rescinds VOA hasn't been updated since March; has there been any announcement that VOA has been reinstated for German (and UK) travellers?
Old Oct 2, 20, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Thanks to everyone for their advice.

The visa issue is a rťal problem unless in fact the intent is to reinstate all previous visa free countries, but they havenít got round to it. Mucking about depending who is or isnít on the red list would be a mess.

Turkey is looking less desirable if South Africa take same approach as U.K. to reliability of Turkish COVID reporting.

I am determined to go. Routing via an African country seems least risky, if visa and insurance issues are resolved.

I can always move my Christmas Day flight to later in the year and will then have a return to pair with an African outbound. Ironically one of these flights goes right back to the introduction of the original March restrictions when it was booked for the day after they came in.

For now Iíll sit this out for the next six weeks and see what happens. As they say, we live in interesting times.
Old Oct 2, 20, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by captainmargaret View Post
Just checking, then:

Department of Home Affairs - Exempt Countries

This list that rescinds VOA hasn't been updated since March; has there been any announcement that VOA has been reinstated for German (and UK) travellers?
This is what is on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office regarding entry requirements for South Africa:

Visa
The visa requirement for Germans, even for short stays, imposed due to the COVID-19 lockdown in March 2020, was lifted with effect from October 1, 2020, provided that the entry does not come from a high-risk country.
German citizens do not require a visa for short-term tourist, visiting or business trips to South Africa if they have not stayed in a high-risk country in the last 10 days before entering the country.
Upon presentation of a valid return ticket, a visitor's visa is usually issued upon entry for the period of the planned trip, for a maximum of 90 days.

For other than short-term tourist, visiting or business trips, as well as for trips when staying in a high-risk country 10 days before entry, German citizens need a visa, which should be applied for at the South African embassy in Berlin.
konagirl2 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 20, 5:14 am

I don't believe it's about the issuing country of your passport - it's about whether you are arriving from a high-risk country or having been in a low-risk country for the previous ten days.

And, just as an aside, you mean a British passport, there being no such thing as an English passport!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: