FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   COVID testing recs for LHR? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2026065-covid-testing-recs-lhr.html)

captainmargaret Sep 30, 2020 3:29 pm

COVID testing recs for LHR?

Suspect a lot of EC members will have the same question, so hopefully this thread will be useful.

I’m planning on my first BA flight since February from LHR, but the destination (SA) requires a negative PCR test 72 hours before flying.

Since it seems we’re some way off the likes of Frankfurt’s in-airport facilities that can be booked in advance with 12 hour turnaround, any recommendations for clinics in London you’ve used recently, and details on a) turnaround time and b) price would be appreciated!

Tiger_lily Sep 30, 2020 4:31 pm

I would expect anywhere on Harley Street to be able to provide what you need within a 72 hour turnaround in the region of £200

golfmad Sep 30, 2020 8:06 pm

Let's hope that more airports start to offer the services recently announced by Tampa airport which start tomorrow:

https://news.tampaairport.com/tpa-la...ng-passengers/

"Tampa International Airport, in partnership with BayCare Health System, announced the launch of the country’s first airport testing pilot that will offer two types of FDA-approved COVID-19 tests for all departing and arriving passengers."

For anyone interested, it's located the Airside F shuttle (very tenuous link there to BA/AA) and available for all ticketed passengers.

Caerbannog Oct 1, 2020 12:43 am

Never mind London where there are at least a few reasonable (if expensive) options. Out in the sticks there is almost nothing. We would have to travel to Bristol or Birmingham (100 mile round trip) to find anything at all. If the service was available we would use it for places where pre-flight testing is an option (eg Madeira).

MrSimonR Oct 1, 2020 4:02 am

Originally Posted by captainmargaret (Post 32712497)
Since it seems we’re some way off the likes of Frankfurt’s in-airport facilities that can be booked in advance with 12 hour turnaround, any recommendations for clinics in London you’ve used recently, and details on a) turnaround time and b) price would be appreciated!

https://www.c19testing.co.uk/
For urgent tests, pick up at Wimpole Street, drop off at the Lab at Euston, test certificate by email in 24-48 hours.
£135 for one-off (kit + test)
10 are £100 for the kits + £99 per test done (£109 each).

Misco60 Oct 1, 2020 4:13 am

Originally Posted by MrSimonR (Post 32713484)
https://www.c19testing.co.uk/
For urgent tests, pick up at Wimpole Street, drop off at the Lab at Euston, test certificate by email in 24-48 hours.
£135 for one-off (kit + test)
10 are £100 for the kits + £99 per test done (£109 each).

That website states:

Due to the approaching second coronavirus wave and the national pressures on testing we're not currently offering our PCR Test Travel Service to new customers.

We will continue to provide high-quality coronavirus PCR testing to new customers but pressures on testing mean we cannot provide the guaranteed turnaround times you may require for travel.

MrSimonR Oct 1, 2020 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 32713496)
That website states:

We still get ours back in 24+ hours. Looks like the lab is at capacity and they won't take new customers for now. Keep checking though, they are reliable.

Numi Oct 1, 2020 11:13 am

We literally just did one with Private Harley Street clinic - we booked the £250 option where you go in and get tested by a nurse in London. We got tested on 29 September at 11.30am and had the results back via email, including the fit to fly certificate, on 30 September at 16.39pm UK. They don't guarantee turnaround times but say they are aiming for 24-72hours. We are travelling Friday and were concerned that we don't get the results in time and this seemed to be the most reliable option (albeit pricey!). Would recommend unless you can get it cheaper :) I can't include the link because I haven't posted enough, but if you google privateharleystreetclinic you will get there.

polochick Oct 1, 2020 12:39 pm

The issue is that the main private lab in London (TDL) is swamped and almost all of the private clinics thus have turnaround time issues. I used Doctorcall (branches in Harley Street and London Wall) this Monday morning with a doctor taking the swab and got the results on Wednesday morning - the lab report from TDL was dated Tuesday evening. They said they do have some 48 hour urgent lab capacity but had none left on the day I went. The service was very good and the price (£175) was okay given that everywhere else I tried at short notice was unavailable. They said they are changing lab next week (presumably time try to get more reliable turnaround times).

I have also used Citydoc but they are no longer offering the nose and throat swab.

Beware there are some more entrepreneurial outfits advertising on Facebook and using Korean tests in house rather than sending to an accredited lab.

bluemoon68 Oct 2, 2020 1:25 am

I've been researching this for an upcoming holiday, consequently I am now inundated with adverts from testing clinics. These keep appearing, note that I have no experience of them as yet.

https://www.haleclinic.com/pcr-test-for-travel who promise a quick turn around and claim that only Cyprus ,Barbados and Hong Kong require a time stamp on the test.

https://www.olivehealthandtravel.co.uk/coronavirus-testing/covid-19-pcr-travel-test

Deliberately crossing the second one out after someone on flyertalk reported a bad experience.

TraumaDoc Oct 2, 2020 2:01 am

A word of warning.

Ensure whichever test you go for uses a UKAS accredited laboratory. Many destinations have made this a requirement.

If you get some two-bit 'entrepreneur' with non-accredited equipment and processes, your result might not be worth the paper it's written on.

Most of the Harley St lot should be pretty kosher in this regard, however they are gauging your eyes out for the privilege.

South London Bon Viveur Oct 2, 2020 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily (Post 32712643)
I would expect anywhere on Harley Street to be able to provide what you need within a 72 hour turnaround in the region of £200

I paid nearly £400 at the Fleet Street Clinic for a two day turnaround certificate. Absolute robbery, but I would imagine Harley Street would charge something similar.

Often1 Oct 2, 2020 6:43 am

Originally Posted by TraumaDoc (Post 32716326)
A word of warning.

Ensure whichever test you go for uses a UKAS accredited laboratory. Many destinations have made this a requirement.

If you get some two-bit 'entrepreneur' with non-accredited equipment and processes, your result might not be worth the paper it's written on.

Most of the Harley St lot should be pretty kosher in this regard, however they are gauging your eyes out for the privilege.

Just as with all travel docs., look at the specific requirements of the destination(s). Some jurisdictions are totally different and may require odd certifications, raised seals and all manner of officialdom not typically present.

IATA has urged carriers and airports authorities to work together to locate vendors to provide universal pre-flight testing (at cost). That makes sense as it not only prevents entry for an infected passenger but means that the passenger is denied boarding altogether and not based on whether the destination requires the test.

Seems rational that one would want a negative test prior to travel in any event. Even with decent medical care at one's destination, this is hardly something where one wants to be away from home should it befall one.

Obruni Boy Oct 2, 2020 12:06 pm

Did a test last Monday mid afternoon at Euston (Google Melio Unilabs PCR tests) for 149 GBP and received result Wednesday lunchtime.
Not surprised every pharmacy business is getting in on the act as they are printing money. These tests are priced elsewhere at $30 which would include a small profit. They are making a hundred pounds on every customer and the places are full.

PlaneSpeaking Oct 5, 2020 6:07 am

We’re in Cyprus now having used the Hale Clinic in Harley Street last week and they were superb. We had the test early evening and the result back bang on 24 hours later. When we booked it online a few weeks ago, it was £199 per person but I think it has since increased to £225. The staff are superb, incredibly helpful and friendly and very reassuring that if we needed to cancel for any reason, there’d be no time limit to do this and we’d just be charged an admin fee of £25 per person. I appreciate some people may not want the faff or the expense but to the faff point, we left London when it was pouring down and are now sitting by the pool in 30 degrees and it’s gorgeous and to the expense point, see previous answer and also consider how much you’ve already saved this year on not flying!