Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice: BA vs. AA redemption # of miles SFO to DPS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice: BA vs. AA redemption # of miles SFO to DPS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Question Advice: BA vs. AA redemption # of miles SFO to DPS

Hello... question from a BA redemption newbie... I am playing with dates next August / September for a business class redemption between SFO and DPS (Bali). AA wants 70,000 miles one way for that route, while BA Avios is 147,000 per person one way.... I don't see any notation of peak / offpeak, and the mileage chart indicates this is the standard rate for a trip of this distance. I am surprised that BA is double the miles of AA (and Alaska for that matter, which I believe is less than AA).

Am I missing something here? If this is the case I guess I will just use my Avios points for SFO to Europe....

Thanks for any and all advice!
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by goldengate
Hello... question from a BA redemption newbie... I am playing with dates next August / September for a business class redemption between SFO and DPS (Bali). AA wants 70,000 miles one way for that route, while BA Avios is 147,000 per person one way.... I don't see any notation of peak / offpeak, and the mileage chart indicates this is the standard rate for a trip of this distance. I am surprised that BA is double the miles of AA (and Alaska for that matter, which I believe is less than AA).

Am I missing something here? If this is the case I guess I will just use my Avios points for SFO to Europe....

Thanks for any and all advice!
ba has segment based and AA has zone based pricing. In this case nothing unusual
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is no off peak when it comes to partner flights as opposed to BA flights. Have a read of the stickies on spending your avios, it will help explain how the pricing works with BAEC.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Yes I read them... and thank you both. The sticky is great. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something here because I find it hard to believe that one partner airline would have such a higher redemption rate than others.
Now I know to use other programs to get to Asia and Avios w/companion voucher to get to Europe. Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2020, 2:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
well the one thing to bear in mind is if you book with two partners, say AA and CX, you would be paying the multi partner reward rates which may be worse than a per sector pricing
Old Sep 30, 2020, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.. this route is all CX metal... at least the itinerary I'm looking at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.