Advice wanted - BA v Cathay

Old Sep 30, 20, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hilton/Marriott - Gold
Advice wanted - BA v Cathay

So,

with Avios and if needed a companion voucher to burn what would you do. This is for May ish next year, so assume COVID is manageable.

The trip is for Bejing, HK, and Taipai. I don't mind landing in HK or Beijing.

I live in Manchester, so either

Cathay Pacific direct to HK. Business class.
371000 Avios + 474.58

or

BA, LHR to Beijing - First
170000 Avios + 1,119.54 - plus companion voucher

BA, LHR to HKG - First
204000 Avios + 1,168.46 - plus companion voucher

I would also need to factor in the MAN-LHR positioning - but I don't think this is a huge deal.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas welcome.
Old Sep 30, 20, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
I personally always try to route through HKG as much as possible. I mean the lounge experience is second to none, never gets tiring.

Also for the Avios saving, I would go with BA and ther companion voucher. The only thing that might swing it is if you already have plenty of Avios or you have a CCR card.
goldengate likes this.
Old Sep 30, 20, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hilton/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by BillyBleach View Post
I personally always try to route through HKG as much as possible. I mean the lounge experience is second to none, never gets tiring.

Also for the Avios saving, I would go with BA and ther companion voucher. The only thing that might swing it is if you already have plenty of Avios or you have a CCR card.
No CCR, standard Gold. Roughly 1m Avios.

Based on your idea I will have Lounge access in HK 3 times. once to depart for Beijing, once for Taipai and once for UK
Old Sep 30, 20, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by PGberkshire View Post
No CCR, standard Gold. Roughly 1m Avios.

Based on your idea I will have Lounge access in HK 3 times. once to depart for Beijing, once for Taipai and once for UK
Yes. The HKG lounges along are worth routing through alone though.
Old Sep 30, 20, 2:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Tit/ LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
I guess it comes down to how miles and cash rich you are. Cathay Business via HKG is indeed very comfortable, but for me personally I'd rather spend another 600GBP and travel in First on BA and save myself 170,000 miles if you might not otherwise get the value out of your 241.
Old Sep 30, 20, 3:12 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I guess it comes down to how miles and cash rich you are. Cathay Business via HKG is indeed very comfortable, but for me personally I'd rather spend another 600GBP and travel in First on BA and save myself 170,000 miles if you might not otherwise get the value out of your 241.
Hopefully the service will be better in May but currently BA First is extremely poor value. Most other airlines C class is slightly better if you compare the products overall.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 30, 20, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, MB Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver
Qatar Airways not an option ?
Old Sep 30, 20, 3:57 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
A350 with Cathay direct from Manchester would do me.
Old Sep 30, 20, 4:08 pm

I would suggested BA F to PKX, then get a cash ticket from Beijing to TPE (as routing via HKG is such a detour), then use Avios from TPE to HKG on CX and BA F to LHR.

The reason I suggested going with BA is that the CX flight from MAN to HKG lands really early in the morning and it would make it a very long day before bedtime. Also, CX business or BA First, I would say BA F is slightly better. And reason for outbound to PKX, so that you can enjoy the lounges at HKG before the flight back to LHR.

Have fun!!
Old Sep 30, 20, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by rontse View Post
I would suggested BA F to PKX, then get a cash ticket from Beijing to TPE (as routing via HKG is such a detour), then use Avios from TPE to HKG on CX and BA F to LHR.

The reason I suggested going with BA is that the CX flight from MAN to HKG lands really early in the morning and it would make it a very long day before bedtime. Also, CX business or BA First, I would say BA F is slightly better. And reason for outbound to PKX, so that you can enjoy the lounges at HKG before the flight back to LHR.

Have fun!!
Forgot to say, from HKG you can always fly directly back to MAN with CX, but you can also fly QR or AY to MAN with a stopover.
Old Sep 30, 20, 4:34 pm

OMG.. I would fly to HKG just to sit at any of the Cathay Noodle bars! No comparison to BA imho
Old Sep 30, 20, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
would be surprised if Taiwan was fully open by May. Unless there is a large outbreak on the island that causes similar situation as elsewhere in the world there is no way to open the borders before a substantial amount of the population is vaccinated. The closing of the borders and mandatory quarantine has not really hurt economy in Taiwan and is widely accepted by the people its hard to see it being lifted until things really are back to normal around the world.
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:17 am
Suspended

You wont be able to do that through TPE as they wont let you transit, China is a no go zone. BA will never come close to CX for service and product. Only 1 lounge open in HKG and its crap. Only upper section open and half of that is also closed.
I spent 12 hrs there on Monday,carpets worn out seats faling apart. Management are aware of it and trying to do somethig about it apparaently. Food was frigging awful. I literally had the place to myself from 0600 to 1800 hrs.

Last edited by steveintaichung; Oct 1, 20 at 1:52 am
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:32 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Remember the MAN-LHR segments would be included without any more Avios. As above, Id prefer the BA F option via HKG.
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:48 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Honors Diamond
I know you said ignore the pandemic but I think a significant chance that MAN-HKG wont be operating by May because traffic levels remain too low. You will obviously be rerouted if cancelled but I think worth considering how firm you want your plans to be.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: