Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclays Premier Avios Rewards / Upgrade Voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2021, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: firstlight
Collect BA Avios with Barclays Avios Rewards

Earn
1,500 Avios every month

Joining bonus
25,000 Avios if you’re opening your first account with us and complete a full switch using the Current Account Switcher Service within three months
2,500 Avios if you’ve been with Barclays for four months or more

Anniversary Reward
British Airways cabin upgrade voucher, which enables you to move up by one cabin - one way for 2 people or 2 ways for one person. Cabin upgrade vouchers must be used on Avios reward flight bookings :
From Euro Traveller to Club Europe
From World Traveller to World Traveller Plus
From World Traveller Plus to Club World

Bookings cannot be upgraded to a First Class Cabin using the Cabin Upgrade Voucher.
Bookings can be made combining an cabin upgrade voucher or vouchers with a GGL space release
Bookings cannot be made combining a cabin upgrade voucher or vouchers with an AMEX 2-4-1 (companion voucher)

Eligibility
Pay a £12 monthly fee
Be a Premier customer, or have a Personal Wealth current account
Have, or open, a British Airways Executive Club membership
Agree to paperless statements for all accounts and services you have with Barclays
Be a UK resident who is registered for the Barclays app

Collecting Avios with Barclays Avios Rewards | Executive Club | British Airways
Barclays Avios Rewards | Premier Banking
Faqs

Print Wikipost

Barclays Premier Avios Rewards / Upgrade Voucher

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by bakera
Don't do it!

Wow, that's insane. I'd have been enraged.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Ok, I have been warned. Far from a Premier experience for you. And I have to say far from anything other than bad for me so far.
So they have my email address and my phone number and they know i want to apply for a Premier account.
Nothing from Barclays at all (compare to Halifax who call me every month my balance goes northwards ).
Old Mar 4, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Same for me! I got the message about not being to verify my identity and to book an appointment in branch. I'm not able to book an appointment online myself so I phoned on Monday and they also can't book anything for me. They emailed my local branch manager asking them to give me a call, but nothing! Ah well, might have to leave this one for now.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Good question. You mean that you are an existing Premier customer but your other OH is not, so you want to open a new joint account (as only you earn £75k) but you want to use the current account switch service to move across an account from your OH and then your OH gets the voucher and 1500 monthly Avios from the joint account? No idea if this would trigger a bonus for your partner.

What definitely works is an existing sole account holder opening a 2nd joint account with their (non £75k earning) partner and the partner getting the monthly Avios and voucher, without getting a sign-up bonus (and without having to shift an existing ban account).
Yes, the first is what I was wondering. I'm going to presume it isn't possible. I'm currently doing Blue Rewards, no clue if it's better value for money but the Avios proposition most certainly is with the 25k bonus. Not so sure without the bonus.

Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
Are they checking proof of income or just hoping you pump enough into the account each month?
When I opened my account, they checked proof of income (as well as ID). And like Bakera, I had to go in branch. Thankfully, I didn't have the nightmare they appeared to have had.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
As an existing Barclays account holder, I pay £4 a month for blue rewards, and get a return of £12 (having a Barclays mortgage), so I am paid £8/month to bank with them. If I change to Premier and the Avios rewards, I would lose my £8/month net inflow and have to pay £12/month - so £20/month for 2,200 avios. (Including the 700 for having a mortgage) That works out at buying the avios at 1.1p each. Of course I'd get a BRUV voucher, but as my wife and I are managing to earn at least a pair of Amex 241s a year, and have a buffer of 3 unused (as well as 3 bookings using 4 vouchers overall, tied up as bookings, with a likelihood of one becoming a FTV in the very near future) that is a valueless piece of e-paper.

However, If I wasn't with Barclays for my mortgage, the net benefit of blue rewards would be £3/month, and thus the cost of the 1,500 monthly avios would be £15 (£12 plus forgoing £3/month "profit" from blue rewards.) or 1p each. On that basis it may be worth while for a new/switching customer, but I can't see the benefit for anyone triggering a regular 2 year validity Amex voucher.

Unless this is upgraded some way in terms of the avios or other additional benefits to match the usual packaged account benefits from the competition, it's a no from me.
SavvyTravel and HeyUpDuck like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by HeyUpDuck
When I opened my account, they checked proof of income (as well as ID). And like Bakera, I had to go in branch. Thankfully, I didn't have the nightmare they appeared to have had.
Cheers, I would meet the threshold in terms of payments in but have a very unorthodox income (professional gambler) and mentioning this in a bank application or in a bank premises is viewed similarly to turning up with a balaclava and a shotgun. Will stick with my paltry Nationwide Flex account I think!
747_Brat likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
When I signed up online, my identity was verified instantly online and they asked me to fill in my:

- Monthly net pay (after salary sacrifices, pension, tax etc)
- Annual gross pay (excluding bonus)

Once the account had been opened and activated, they asked for my average bonus too.

Last edited by wilsnunn; Mar 5, 2021 at 2:58 am
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by bakera
Don't do it!

About 7 years ago I successfully applied for a Barclays Premier account online. Everything looked fine, but I was asked to take my ID into a branch for verification. I went to my local branch and straight to the dedicated Premier counter expecting that this would be a routine in and out procedure. Instead I was told that I would need to speak with someone from their account opening team and would I mind taking a seat until somoeone was available. 20 minutes later I was led upstairs and into an office. I handed over my passport to the employee and she locked it in the desk drawer. I asked that was wrong and she told me that I would need to create a new application with her and she started to complete some paper forms. I advised her that I did not have time to do this and that I had already answered all the questions online, but she insisted. I told her to forget the the whole thing and asked for my passport back - to which she refused. Itr wasn't until I suggested calling the police that she finally gave me my passport back.

A formal complaint to customer services followed - to which they paid £100 and a case of wine in compensation.

I'm now with HSBC Premier.
Funnily enough I had a not dissimilar experience opening an HSBC account a few years ago. No case of wine for me.

I’m now with Barclays Premier... but purely for the rewards from a prior switching offer. Wish I wasn’t now given the new bonus.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by RG1X
I'll be transferring away my Barclays account (which I've had over 20 years) and then possibly transferring back in again after the 4 month period is over.
Originally Posted by Raffles
I would just upgrade and be happy to bag the voucher each year.
Before flouncing out of a 20-year account, I would contact Barclays Premier and ask whether they will honour the enhanced bonus for longstanding customers wanting to upgrade. See what they say.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Before flouncing out of a 20-year account, I would contact Barclays Premier and ask whether they will honour the enhanced bonus for longstanding customers wanting to upgrade. See what they say.
That was already basically the plan.

I can't say I care about losing the account though... realistically having it for 20 years only offers limited advantages anyway.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:12 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Managed to open a premier account this morning on the app without any issue or need to visit a branch.
Now waiting for card to arrive to register for internet banking and for the Avios Rewards program to be available in app before i start the switch to bag the 25k bonus points.
Has anyone seen it as an option in app yet, or still waiting for this to roll out?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by A13
Managed to open a premier account this morning on the app without any issue or need to visit a branch.
Now waiting for card to arrive to register for internet banking and for the Avios Rewards program to be available in app before i start the switch to bag the 25k bonus points.
Has anyone seen it as an option in app yet, or still waiting for this to roll out?
Still waiting for me but checking daily.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I’m an existing Premier customer and the Avios Rewards option showed up in the Barclays app this afternoon.

Not most exciting amount of avios without the 25k bonus but with the voucher it’s worth the £12 a month for me.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Avios rewards appeared today, I opened last week so I signed up. Got caught out by the current data breach and BA requiring a password change with flaky IT (see the separate threads). Managed to get through that hurdle but couldn’t figure out where to switch? Found a link on the website which opened the app and worked on the third attempt. Found later that if you go into the app and go to products you can swipe down and it’s there, not entirely obvious that there is a second page. Switching away from HSBC Premier, I can make the travel pack work for me, if I subtract my breakdown cover then it only works out at £50 a year for insurance which was free with HSBC. I can stomach that for the upgrade voucher.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: Accor ALL Gold, BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gomac
I’m an existing Premier customer and the Avios Rewards option showed up in the Barclays app this afternoon.

Not most exciting amount of avios without the 25k bonus but with the voucher it’s worth the £12 a month for me.
Interesting, still hasn’t appeared for me yet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.