Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, M&M
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Whereas Americans drive on parkways
and their cars wear hoods.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
The person who sent this should not be communicating directly with customers.

And it's likely that s/he is a native English speaker, because no-one who has been taught English as a second language would make the mistakes in that sentence.
I once tried to correct native English speaking colleague and was told that "I can write however I want, it's my language".
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Would of, could of, should of are so common that I don't even cringe when I encounter them anymore, but "been able to of book this" is definitely a new one. To me that doesn't sound even remotely like "been able to have booked this". Can anyone identify the accent in which it does?
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Whereas Americans drive on parkways
They drive on pavements which are adorned with pavement markings. Very odd.

Back to the OP, there is no doubt whatsoever that standards of literacy have reduced in the UK over the last couple of decades. This is a further example of that disappointing trend.
BA or bust and JamieABZ like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:31 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Canadians have colour, cheques and marvellous pyjamas. Their wheels have tires, however.
You forgot labour, centre and the letter Zed
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:31 am

Nothing is actually misspelt, except a lower case i instead of an upper case I. However, the wrong words have been used. My guess is that the note was spellchecked but not checked for grammar.
:D! likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by macdrew
I am not making fun of someone doing their job as best they can, I am making a valid point that public facing staff of a large British company/institution should at least be able to use the English language with some skill and competence. Is it so wrong to expect the correct use of the Queen's English in British business correspondence? Incidentally I would only recognise the adjective boilerplate as being a fine example of American English.
Pues, Grupo IAG es una parte española, entonces me gustaría que todos los correos que recibo estén bien escritos en castellano, no en inglés de la reina de Gran Bretaña.
Stormbel and :D! like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Whilst I was not a graduate of English, I used to think my English spoken and written word was pretty good.
However, at one stage when I had a "global" role, the lady in the office next to me was from Finland. English was her 3rd language.
I always checked my global missives with her.
Her "offshore" English was entirely comprehensible from Moscow to Chile to Melbourne. Mine was English English, which was not as good for Global communications.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
At leased they used the passed tents.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, M&M
Originally Posted by TTmex
Pues, Grupo IAG es una parte española, entonces me gustaría que todos los correos que recibo estén bien escritos en castellano, no en inglés de la reina de Gran Bretaña.
Este artículo se refiere a BRITISH Airways, (oficina de la empresa:British Airways Plc, Harmondsworth, Londres.)Registrado en Inglaterra.
No se hace referencia a Iberia ni al IAG registrado en España.
Estoy seguro de que si te comunicas con alguno de los que están en español, te responderán en el español del rey español.

Translation as a courtesy for English speaking forum members
TTmex;32706021 - Well, Grupo IAG is a Spanish part, so I would like all the emails I receive to be well written in Spanish, not in English from the Queen of Great Britain.
Macdrew - This item refers to BRITISH Airways, (Company office: British Airways Plc, Harmondsworth, London.)Registered in England.
No reference to Iberia nor the Spanish Registered IAG.
I am sure that if you communicated with those in Spanish, they would reply in the Spanish King's Spanish.
TTmex likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Canadians have cheques.
Not as much these days, whereas Americans are obsessed with them.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
I vaguely remember a joke about hiding a dwarf from Prague, that involved caching a small Czech...
Old Sep 28, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
I vaguely remember a joke about hiding a dwarf from Prague, that involved caching a small Czech...
Is there a prize for the worst joke of the year?
yellow_peril likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by 13901
Strangely enough the same doesn't happen with their Canadian colleagues.
I wonder if it's because the Canadians have more education? To become a Professional Engineer in Canada requires a 4 year university degree and then a 4 year apprenticeship under the supervision of at least one already licensed Professional Engineer. I understand that the requirements are not as stringent in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.