Community
Wiki Posts
Search

13 BA crew in HKG quarantine

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2020, 10:38 am

I guess the question is should BA be testing, maybe the 'poor girl' in her ill-informed choices was trying to highlight the consequences of BA not testing? or maybe she was hoping by putting pressure through social media, BA may somehow get them a nicer place to stay or home sooner. At present it looks like shes trying to make Hong Kong look bad and one this you never do as a visitor is disrespect the country you are visiting. It may not be plush; it may not be fancy but it's fit for purpose. If anything, she seems 'entitled' and a poor reflection on her colleagues who have more than likely buckled down and got on with it.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by antichef
So have BA now got two full crews of FA's in the quarantine facility in HK? This will rapidly cause knock on effects- not least because of crewing return flights!
And to think on my recent trip to the UK and Spain, the highest risk of exposure to COVID was from a BA crew. Given the crew on my flight were scrupulous in their distancing and treatment of passengers I feel this is unlikely, but given there have been now two incidents of COVID infection on the same flight within such a short space of time this will inevitably generate interest from BA destinations and passengers as to the extent of a potential COVID problem within BA cabin crew.

It once again highlights the efficacy of HK's proactive arrival and post-arrival protocols.

The 'entitled' stewardess has thrown one large spotlight on the issue by publicising this on social media.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 7:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by brunos
I don't think that BA is testing their staff before departing.
As per the HK regulations that I posted above, airline crew will not be retested in HK if they show a negative test result of a test 48h before departure. I assume that BA would never let fly a crew that has just tested positive.
I know QR test their crew before departure, BA will have to do it if they want to keep flying to HK.

And news spread rapidly, so I doubt that other Asian countries would be happy with the BA situation.
Not quite correct. These are the rules now:
  • For non-local based crew who possess a pre-departure negative test result meeting the requirements as indicated above and a certification letter issued by the airline, they can leave for their hotel for self-isolation after specimen collection and no need to wait for the result. The crew can depart on duty flight anytime after arrival. The only requirement is that before departure, he/she has to remain self-isolated inside the hotel room arranged by the airline.
  • For non-local based crew who do NOT possess a pre-departure negative result, they have to wait at DH’s TSCC or other location designated by DH until their test results are confirmed negative. They can only depart on next duty flight after their test results are confirmed negative by DH. The waiting time of test result may range from 8 hrs to 24 hrs, or longer for exceptional cases, such as need for repeat testing, etc. After being tested negative, crew members have to self-isolate at the hotel room arranged by the airline until departure from Hong Kong on their next duty flight. "Next duty flight" includes "departure flight as arranged by the airline" because, for example, crew member may need to be positioned back to their home country.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Not quite correct. These are the rules now:
  • For non-local based crew who possess a pre-departure negative test result meeting the requirements as indicated above and a certification letter issued by the airline, they can leave for their hotel for self-isolation after specimen collection and no need to wait for the result. The crew can depart on duty flight anytime after arrival. The only requirement is that before departure, he/she has to remain self-isolated inside the hotel room arranged by the airline.
  • For non-local based crew who do NOT possess a pre-departure negative result, they have to wait at DH’s TSCC or other location designated by DH until their test results are confirmed negative. They can only depart on next duty flight after their test results are confirmed negative by DH. The waiting time of test result may range from 8 hrs to 24 hrs, or longer for exceptional cases, such as need for repeat testing, etc. After being tested negative, crew members have to self-isolate at the hotel room arranged by the airline until departure from Hong Kong on their next duty flight. "Next duty flight" includes "departure flight as arranged by the airline" because, for example, crew member may need to be positioned back to their home country.
It is always recommended to supply the source.
https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/e...rsons-faq.html

Rules have indeed been tightened 3 days ago. My official link above seem now outdated or at least misleading:
https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...0072600440.htm
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
Given that BA have been testing HKG-bound crews prior to operating the flight (in line with HK regulations for air crew), an important question is why this was not picked up earlier. If tests are giving false negative results then this should be concerning for everyone who says increased testing is a way out of this mess. (I don’t know which tests BA uses, but I’ve long had doubts about self-administered ones, as people are far less rigorous in shoving things up their own nostrils than a professional would be.)
BA had stopped testing on the day before and only resumed it AFTER this incident. Why is that, I don't know.
Again, I know I sound like a broken record but testing is the only answer.
Today, my LinkedIn feature had a post from Alexis von Hoensbroech, the Austrian CEO (link below) showing a quick Roche test that the Lufthansa group is trialling. Things like these ought to be used for passengers and definitely crews.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/alexi...090053632-R1KJ
antichef, orbitmic and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:21 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
The bit I'm not clear on (but I may have missed it earlier in thread!) is why it is only cabin crew in quarantine and it has not applied to flight crew.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by morges1
The bit I'm not clear on (but I may have missed it earlier in thread!) is why it is only cabin crew in quarantine and it has not applied to flight crew.
hi.

I think it was raised earlier that it was viewed that the flight crew being in the locked flight deck were not exposed to the cabin crew for a long duration. I do not know if in theory if the flight crew were served by that particular cabin crew member,then they might have been quarantined also

Regards

Tbs
Old Oct 9, 2020, 3:14 am

Any updates on the quarantined crew?
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Any updates on the quarantined crew?
I believe they’ve now returned to London

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.