Wiki Posts
Search

Other ways to escalate a refund request

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2020, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Other ways to escalate a refund request

I had a pre-COVID booking for November that had its return leg cancelled by BA. I took vouchers for other flights so requested a refund for this one.

I was told the refund would happen within 3 weeks - and that was 7 weeks ago. I call every week, and the only action the operator can resort to, is to escalate the request to the payment team again.

I’m keen to book for next year but I can’t justify it while BA still has four figures of my cash.

Any suggestions on how to move forward, or is everyone at the mercy of similar delays?
Old Sep 19, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
All bar one of my refunds from BA have been very quick. I’m in the same situation having called them to chase and been told that they’ll escalate with the refunds team. My particular booking was paid on one card and then changed using a different card so probably isn’t a straightforward transaction that can be automated. I suppose the last resort is a chargeback?
Old Sep 19, 2020, 3:53 pm

I was in a similar situation and having resorted to Twitter, received an instant reply saying that they would pass the conversation to their repayment team. A further response was received within the hour saying that the refund had been processed 2 days ago and should appear on my card within 5 - 7 days. We'll see.......
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

If all normal options fail, you can contract BA directly via private message here on FlyerTalk. Send your PM to BA refund helper
HIDDY and Hoch like this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why wait more than 7 days in the first place? Simply initiate a chargeback dispute with your credit card issuer (bank) noting that it is made under the rebooking (refund) provisions of Section 8 of EC 261/2004. Make certain that you include a copy of the e-ticket receipt, the cancellation, your request for a refund and any note from BA to the effect that it acknowledges that a refund is due.

You will have a credit to your card account in short order and your issuer (bank) and BA's merchant acquirer will sort it out with BA without any effort or angst on your part.

While it is clear that BA has vastly improved its refund efforts from the state in which they were in April-May, there remain pockets of problems and yours is likely one of them. No reason for you to lift a finger beyond the ease of the chargeback which ought to be doable online.
cauchy likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Why wait more than 7 days in the first place? Simply initiate a chargeback dispute with your credit card issuer (bank) noting that it is made under the rebooking (refund) provisions of Section 8 of EC 261/2004. Make certain that you include a copy of the e-ticket receipt, the cancellation, your request for a refund and any note from BA to the effect that it acknowledges that a refund is due.

You will have a credit to your card account in short order and your issuer (bank) and BA's merchant acquirer will sort it out with BA without any effort or angst on your part.

While it is clear that BA has vastly improved its refund efforts from the state in which they were in April-May, there remain pockets of problems and yours is likely one of them. No reason for you to lift a finger beyond the ease of the chargeback which ought to be doable online.
Charge backs are usually a 90 day process though. So you might increase not decrease the wait time.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
If all normal options fail, you can contract BA directly via private message here on FlyerTalk. Send your PM to BA refund helper
No longer an option I’m afraid. Queried a cancellation issue via PM on 25/08 and received the following:

Hi, thanks for the message, however as per my post on 4August this support channel is no longer available
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Prospero
I thought BA refund helper said that he was ending the special assistance he was providing to FT members:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32581751-post994.html
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Anonba
Charge backs are usually a 90 day process though. So you might increase not decrease the wait time.
I have only done charge backs through Amex, but they have all taken around 1-2 weeks to conclude. Definitely not a 90 day process with regard to what the cardholder sees. I do thoroughly recommend charge backs for people waiting excessively long periods for refunds. I am not advocating doing a charge back on day 8 despite the obligation under EC261 for a 7 day refund. But when you are getting to day 48 like the OP it is entirely reasonable.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I thought BA refund helper said that he was ending the special assistance he was providing to FT members:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32581751-post994.html
Thanks for pointing this out - something I missed
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:49 pm

Depends on the card issuer. Most of mine have been approved within seconds, with a credit on the next bill. But even if its a wait, there's no more chasing up to do, the refund is coming. Whereas leaving it with BA might mean it's in some black hole.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Is an amex chargeback an option if the payment card has been cancelled? I'm still an active amex card holder with a different card. Struggling with same issue with a BA refund.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, but you will not have access to the online facility. Adds the cost of a stamp and a few days to the process.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 11:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I was told that if the ticket has been re-issued, as many of mine were, it took longer as a manual process had to be applied.
I have to say after speaking with GGL team they had refund processed within about 3 days, after waiting 6 weeks.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Only done it once and that was through Amex - they instantly took the charge off my account (I.e. refunded it) temporarily pending investigation. About 2 weeks (?) later I got a message from them saying that the hotel in question had failed to respond to them so they had settled it permanently in my favour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.