Best time to call BA

Old Sep 19, 20, 11:39 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 226
Best time to call BA

Have some cancelled 2-4-1 Avios flights and prefer the refund - any suggestions on best time to call (UK Based) to minimise the wait time ? I am Gold but I understand all the numbers have now been merged.
petez is offline  
Old Sep 19, 20, 12:05 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,731
I've called about half a dozen times over the last couple of weeks, at various random times of the day, and had no significant wait to get through on any occasion. So, frankly, I would not fret about this - just give it a try.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Sep 19, 20, 12:10 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: York, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Gold
Posts: 392
Just to add the Gold Line has not been merged into one line, and has continued to operate throughout all of this .
S_W_S is online now  
Old Sep 19, 20, 12:24 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: BA Gold, BMI blue, VS Silver, Starwood gold, Marriott silver, HH gold, IHG gold
Posts: 533
Originally Posted by S_W_S View Post
Just to add the Gold Line has not been merged into one line, and has continued to operate throughout all of this .
I called the gold line the other day and got the most exasperated intolerant agent ever. Until she asked for my baec number and realised I wa a gold, after which there was a sudden change in attitude. She said all the calls were coming through to one number. This person could never have worked the gold line. Maybe you mean GGL?
chipster is offline  
Old Sep 19, 20, 12:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: York, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Gold
Posts: 392
Originally Posted by chipster View Post
I called the gold line the other day and got the most exasperated intolerant agent ever. Until she asked for my baec number and realised I wa a gold, after which there was a sudden change in attitude. She said all the calls were coming through to one number. This person could never have worked the gold line. Maybe you mean GGL?
Not at all, Blue, Bronze and Silver got merged into one number, but the Gold & GGL numbers have continued to be available. When I've called I've generally got helpful agents, some answering as BAEC Gold.
S_W_S is online now  
Old Sep 19, 20, 12:37 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Mexico
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,253
Gold line has been outstanding..even to point of sending a thank you online. Got through in seconds all but once, when wait was 10 mins, but that was in April.
TTmex is online now  
Old Sep 19, 20, 1:04 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously BOS, NYC, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 15,808
Slightly OT: Can anyone reach the gold line if they know the number, or is there a screening mechanism like with AA where anyone can call the EXP line, but you can only get through to an EXP agent after entering your AA number? As a relatively recent BA gold, just wondering if I’m calling the right number, as I get through without any sort of screening.
Blumie is offline  
Old Sep 19, 20, 1:06 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Programs: Marriott Titanium
Posts: 438
I called the regular line today around 1130, and got a refund processed in less than 5 minutes from the machine answering the call. Was extremely impressed.
jamesie_version1 is offline  
Old Sep 19, 20, 1:17 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: DFW or CPH or...
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 398
Ok, just got a flight cancelled last night, Avios booking. Will anybody who answers the phone on the weekend be able to help me re-book this trip to currently flying flights, or should I wait til Monday?

No need to frustrate me and them if I cannot get the right department on the weekend.

Regards,

LcS
LCSinTexas is offline  
Old Sep 19, 20, 1:20 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Mexico
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,253
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
Slightly OT: Can anyone reach the gold line if they know the number, or is there a screening mechanism like with AA where anyone can call the EXP line, but you can only get through to an EXP agent after entering your AA number? As a relatively recent BA gold, just wondering if I’m calling the right number, as I get through without any sort of screening.
Strictly you need to give them your number at the beginning of the call. If you give a booking ref then they can see your status any way. I believe they should tell you to call another number if it turns out you don't have it. Only a couple of times have they asked me straight out, can I have your Exec number to confirm your status.
TTmex is online now  
Old Sep 19, 20, 1:22 pm
  #11  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 46,046
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas View Post
Ok, just got a flight cancelled last night, Avios booking. Will anybody who answers the phone on the weekend be able to help me re-book this trip to currently flying flights, or should I wait til Monday?
The BAEC team does work weekends, opening at 08:00 hrs. If it has just happened, and if you are not travelling in the next few days, it is best not to call immediately since sometimes there are waves of cancellations. After a few days you can see more clearly what the options are and by that stage the self serve channel in MMB may work for you, thereby avoiding a call.
LCSinTexas likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Sep 19, 20, 2:47 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 877
called several times this week over the foreign number (+44203XXXX). twice i got through instant, the thrid time i had to wait like 5 minutes.
Nephoi is offline  
Old Sep 19, 20, 5:24 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Programs: BA Gold, BMI blue, VS Silver, Starwood gold, Marriott silver, HH gold, IHG gold
Posts: 533
I’ve normally got through very quickly on the gold line, but on this occasion the call didn’t go through to it, as the agent told me twice that there was no point linking bookings, and also told me off for humming to myself quietly whilst she was going through the Ts and Cs and checked I was listening, which I was of course. I thought I was back at school. Then she said there was no point linking the bookings because only the checkin people could see it......”unless you’re a gold member”. I explained that was why I’d rung the gold line; she said all the numbers were going to whoever was free. They aren’t doing the “how was your experience?” Feedback any more, but had it been, I’d have been delighted to provide some
chipster is offline  
Old Sep 19, 20, 5:38 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: York, UK
Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Gold
Posts: 392
Originally Posted by chipster View Post
I’ve normally got through very quickly on the gold line, but on this occasion the call didn’t go through to it, as the agent told me twice that there was no point linking bookings, and also told me off for humming to myself quietly whilst she was going through the Ts and Cs and checked I was listening, which I was of course. I thought I was back at school. Then she said there was no point linking the bookings because only the checkin people could see it......”unless you’re a gold member”. I explained that was why I’d rung the gold line; she said all the numbers were going to whoever was free. They aren’t doing the “how was your experience?” Feedback any more, but had it been, I’d have been delighted to provide some
I will be honest I did have a similar experience the other week when chasing a TCP and seating request that I'd requested through the twitter team.
I was met with "well are you gold" umm yes, that's why I've called the gold line, then a few back and forth over what seats were available to my friend.
Twitter team requested 1F for my friend no issue, but the agent was having none of it and insisted Golds only in row 1 (despite the same friend sitting with me in row 1 a few weeks previous because we were on the same booking).
Some more back and forth followed and "you might have to call back" was said to me a few times which I've never had before.

As far as I'm aware though, the Gold line has never had a subset of agents just answering those calls (unlike GGL which has a separate team).
S_W_S is online now  
Old Sep 19, 20, 5:39 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Programs: BA Silver, A3
Posts: 767
I'm Silver. My Avios flight was cancelled about 3 weeks ago (no vouchers involved) but isn't for 4 weeks.
I was going to phone this week for a refund but can't see a specific number. Does dialling the Blue/Bronze/Silver number suffice?
It is disappointing to read that all three levels have been merged so another benefit gone.
Stormbel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: