Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best time to call BA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2020, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Best time to call BA

Have some cancelled 2-4-1 Avios flights and prefer the refund - any suggestions on best time to call (UK Based) to minimise the wait time ? I am Gold but I understand all the numbers have now been merged.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I've called about half a dozen times over the last couple of weeks, at various random times of the day, and had no significant wait to get through on any occasion. So, frankly, I would not fret about this - just give it a try.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Just to add the Gold Line has not been merged into one line, and has continued to operate throughout all of this .
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
Originally Posted by S_W_S
Just to add the Gold Line has not been merged into one line, and has continued to operate throughout all of this .
I called the gold line the other day and got the most exasperated intolerant agent ever. Until she asked for my baec number and realised I wa a gold, after which there was a sudden change in attitude. She said all the calls were coming through to one number. This person could never have worked the gold line. Maybe you mean GGL?
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by chipster
I called the gold line the other day and got the most exasperated intolerant agent ever. Until she asked for my baec number and realised I wa a gold, after which there was a sudden change in attitude. She said all the calls were coming through to one number. This person could never have worked the gold line. Maybe you mean GGL?
Not at all, Blue, Bronze and Silver got merged into one number, but the Gold & GGL numbers have continued to be available. When I've called I've generally got helpful agents, some answering as BAEC Gold.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Gold line has been outstanding..even to point of sending a thank you online. Got through in seconds all but once, when wait was 10 mins, but that was in April.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Slightly OT: Can anyone reach the gold line if they know the number, or is there a screening mechanism like with AA where anyone can call the EXP line, but you can only get through to an EXP agent after entering your AA number? As a relatively recent BA gold, just wondering if I’m calling the right number, as I get through without any sort of screening.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I called the regular line today around 1130, and got a refund processed in less than 5 minutes from the machine answering the call. Was extremely impressed.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Ok, just got a flight cancelled last night, Avios booking. Will anybody who answers the phone on the weekend be able to help me re-book this trip to currently flying flights, or should I wait til Monday?

No need to frustrate me and them if I cannot get the right department on the weekend.

Regards,

LcS
Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blumie
Slightly OT: Can anyone reach the gold line if they know the number, or is there a screening mechanism like with AA where anyone can call the EXP line, but you can only get through to an EXP agent after entering your AA number? As a relatively recent BA gold, just wondering if I’m calling the right number, as I get through without any sort of screening.
Strictly you need to give them your number at the beginning of the call. If you give a booking ref then they can see your status any way. I believe they should tell you to call another number if it turns out you don't have it. Only a couple of times have they asked me straight out, can I have your Exec number to confirm your status.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
Ok, just got a flight cancelled last night, Avios booking. Will anybody who answers the phone on the weekend be able to help me re-book this trip to currently flying flights, or should I wait til Monday?
The BAEC team does work weekends, opening at 08:00 hrs. If it has just happened, and if you are not travelling in the next few days, it is best not to call immediately since sometimes there are waves of cancellations. After a few days you can see more clearly what the options are and by that stage the self serve channel in MMB may work for you, thereby avoiding a call.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
called several times this week over the foreign number (+44203XXXX). twice i got through instant, the thrid time i had to wait like 5 minutes.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
I’ve normally got through very quickly on the gold line, but on this occasion the call didn’t go through to it, as the agent told me twice that there was no point linking bookings, and also told me off for humming to myself quietly whilst she was going through the Ts and Cs and checked I was listening, which I was of course. I thought I was back at school. Then she said there was no point linking the bookings because only the checkin people could see it......”unless you’re a gold member”. I explained that was why I’d rung the gold line; she said all the numbers were going to whoever was free. They aren’t doing the “how was your experience?” Feedback any more, but had it been, I’d have been delighted to provide some
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by chipster
I’ve normally got through very quickly on the gold line, but on this occasion the call didn’t go through to it, as the agent told me twice that there was no point linking bookings, and also told me off for humming to myself quietly whilst she was going through the Ts and Cs and checked I was listening, which I was of course. I thought I was back at school. Then she said there was no point linking the bookings because only the checkin people could see it......”unless you’re a gold member”. I explained that was why I’d rung the gold line; she said all the numbers were going to whoever was free. They aren’t doing the “how was your experience?” Feedback any more, but had it been, I’d have been delighted to provide some
I will be honest I did have a similar experience the other week when chasing a TCP and seating request that I'd requested through the twitter team.
I was met with "well are you gold" umm yes, that's why I've called the gold line, then a few back and forth over what seats were available to my friend.
Twitter team requested 1F for my friend no issue, but the agent was having none of it and insisted Golds only in row 1 (despite the same friend sitting with me in row 1 a few weeks previous because we were on the same booking).
Some more back and forth followed and "you might have to call back" was said to me a few times which I've never had before.

As far as I'm aware though, the Gold line has never had a subset of agents just answering those calls (unlike GGL which has a separate team).
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
I'm Silver. My Avios flight was cancelled about 3 weeks ago (no vouchers involved) but isn't for 4 weeks.
I was going to phone this week for a refund but can't see a specific number. Does dialling the Blue/Bronze/Silver number suffice?
It is disappointing to read that all three levels have been merged so another benefit gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.