Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Free check in of baggage due to heavy loads but flight showing as empty?

Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I've had an email for my LHR - CFU flight tomorrow saying that BA will check in hand luggage for free due to a busy flight. However when checking loads on Expert Flyer, it's showing as pretty empty across all fares (every bucket is 9). Is there an operational reason for such an email on an empty flight or a mistake on BA's part? Would make life easier to check the baggage, but don't want to get to LHR to find it was a mistake and get charged etc.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by woobl
I've had an email for my LHR - CFU flight tomorrow saying that BA will check in hand luggage for free due to a busy flight. However when checking loads on Expert Flyer, it's showing as pretty empty across all fares (every bucket is 9). Is there an operational reason for such an email on an empty flight or a mistake on BA's part? Would make life easier to check the baggage, but don't want to get to LHR to find it was a mistake and get charged etc.
Hi,

It is standard practice at lhr to allow this so there will be no problem.

Less likely for this to be allowed at outstations.

Regards

Tbs
woobl likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

It is standard practice at lhr to allow this so there will be no problem.

Less likely for this to be allowed at outstations.

Regards

Tbs
Thanks for the clarification. During OLCI should I say a bag will be checked or just do it at the bag drop in T5? (as it's a hand-luggage only fare I don't want to be charged!).
Old Sep 19, 2020, 6:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for the clarification. During OLCI should I say a bag will be checked or just do it at the bag drop in T5? (as it's a hand-luggage only fare I don't want to be charged!).
To give yourself maximum flexibility, select the "don't know" option.
woobl likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
To give yourself maximum flexibility, select the "don't know" option.
It appears OLCI is unavailable anyway - presume because it is a flight to Greece and the require to see the PLF at check in.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
It appears OLCI is unavailable anyway - presume because it is a flight to Greece and the require to see the PLF at check in.
Correct.
If you're on the BA0648 (I am) and currently dont have but would like lounge access please feel free to PM me. Enjoy your trip to Corfu whatever and take a brolly apparently :-(
BOH likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Maybe because not many people have said they have bags to check into the hold so locker space could be severely limited?. I know Jet2 do this when not many hold bags have been booked on certain flights
Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
It is also worth noting that the reliability of the availability to buy seats on expert flyer is correlating less well with number of tickets sold currently- with high levels of no-shows airlines are allowing for greater oversales- for example I know from a friend who works at BA that her flight tomorrow is oversold but is showing good availability on EF.
woobl likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:44 am

I received the same email on Thursday this week for the BA633 from Athens to LHR yesterday on the 787. The flight was quite busy but certainly not full. I think the 99 upgrade offer to sit in a Club World seat for the 3hr 20 journey was popular.
ENTP likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Correct.
If you're on the BA0648 (I am) and currently dont have but would like lounge access please feel free to PM me. Enjoy your trip to Corfu whatever and take a brolly apparently :-(
Ianos has passed but CFU got off lightly. EFL and ZTH resemble a war zone
Old Sep 19, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: BA gold, HHonors diamond, IHG rewards gold
I'm also on the 648 to Corfu tomorrow, maybe loads are higher than you think if you use representation on this thread!

Bit worried about the brolly comment though I guess I can use it as a parasol if not really needed.

Question regarding checking in hand baggage though- if I do so, which would make my life easier on liquids, will I have to wait until two hours before to bag drop? Last time I got to the airport 2.5 hrs early with luggage I found that it said bag drop wasn't opening until t-2h but first wing didnt comment and let me check in
Old Sep 19, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: BA gold, HHonors diamond, IHG rewards gold
Sorry, second question- can the first wing do the PLF or do I need to go to a separate area for that?
Old Sep 19, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by jenecho
I'm also on the 648 to Corfu tomorrow, maybe loads are higher than you think if you use representation on this thread!

Bit worried about the brolly comment though I guess I can use it as a parasol if not really needed.

Question regarding checking in hand baggage though- if I do so, which would make my life easier on liquids, will I have to wait until two hours before to bag drop? Last time I got to the airport 2.5 hrs early with luggage I found that it said bag drop wasn't opening until t-2h but first wing didnt comment and let me check in
you can also use the brolly to fend off the sunglass salesmen on the beach.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by jenecho
Sorry, second question- can the first wing do the PLF or do I need to go to a separate area for that?
You can do everything you need to get to Greece (PLF) in the first wing.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by firstlight
You can do everything you need to get to Greece (PLF) in the first wing.
Except pens. They were very thin on the ground ! I had to pony up 2 quid in Smiths.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.