Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will BA spot this and cancel one of my bookings?

Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:46 am
Original Poster

We are looking at booking Avios flights to Seattle, which for our dates are currently shown as operated by 787-10.

If that scheduling sticks, I would be very happy to fly in the new Club Suite. But if there is a substitution between now and December, I prefer to be in F rather than the current J seat.

Right now there are Avios seats in both cabins on the same flights, and my thinking is to book both with a view to cancelling the one I don't need at the last minute (maybe even T-25h?).

So my question is whether BA sweeps for this type of double booking, and if so how long can I expect to hold both before they cancel them? Or am I fine right up until the cancellation point?

Thanks.
flying_pig likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Nope. You are fine to hold two bookings for the same flight, BA won't search and auto cancel one.

You plan sounds fine. Obviously the cancellation of the one you don't want will be subject to the usual cancellation fee of Ł35pp.
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
You're fine if they are in different cabins, or if they are one revenue one avios. What BA's system won't allow you to have is two revenue tickets in the same cabin.
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt answers! Yes, it would be 2 Avios bookings in different cabins. So it sounds like this will work :-)
Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Some airlines (e.g. AA) do search and auto-cancel duplicate bookings on the same flight but I don't think BA do that.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by aristoph
Yes, it would be 2 Avios bookings in different cabins. So it sounds like this will work :-)
Definitely. I've just recently cancelled an Avios booking for a family member in a similar situation. Many months ago, a booking was made in ET, but when availability opened up a few weeks later for the same flight in CE, that was booked as well. I finally cancelled the ET booking the day before the flight. There was no complaint from BA or any suggestion that either booking might be cancelled by BA.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
just be careful on when to cancel, as its to SFO, they will send the API to the US about 36 hours before, if it is send to them that the same person has two bookings, you may get a lovely SSSS
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Crikey - how many passengers ? Seems a fair amount of money to be sat in BA's coffers for quite a while - with fees around Ł700 per person. Think I'd just take F and be done with it
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Crikey - how many passengers ? Seems a fair amount of money to be sat in BA's coffers for quite a while - with fees around Ł700 per person. Think I'd just take F and be done with it
If F is like it is now I will happily save the Avios to fly Club Suite! But I really don't want to fly ying/yang CW in a covid world. BA can keep my Ł1400 for 3 months and earn a negative interest on it, if the BoE gets its way!
hhdl and Traveller 935 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It’s probably all academic, very very little chance of tourism to US by December - book both they’re Flexible enough to 24 hours I guess
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
It’s probably all academic, very very little chance of tourism to US by December - book both they’re Flexible enough to 24 hours I guess
It may not be tourism. The OP may be an American citizen, green card holder or may have the right to enter the country through another category.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
It may not be tourism. The OP may be an American citizen, green card holder or may have the right to enter the country through another category.
Indeed. I am married to an American so I am an exemption from the Donald's executive order. And we are going to see family, not for tourism.
13901 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:45 pm

Talking of BA canceling bookings (I'll latch onto this thread), if I hold a booking to a destination, but I think that it'll be canceled and I want to travel somewhere else instead on the same day and time, can I book that and hold the 2 tickets until the first flight gets canceled (or I cancel for an FTV) without one of them being canceled?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by aristoph
Indeed. I am married to an American so I am an exemption from the Donald's executive order. And we are going to see family, not for tourism.
You're one of the lucky ones. I live and work in the USA on a work visa but I can't go back to the UK as I can't re-enter the USA without some extended dodge through Mexico or Turkey.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
You're one of the lucky ones. I live and work in the USA on a work visa but I can't go back to the UK as I can't re-enter the USA without some extended dodge through Mexico or Turkey.
That sucks.
golfmad likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.