FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Insect 'bat' - can I take on in my bag? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2025331-insect-bat-can-i-take-my-bag.html)

saint_em Sep 18, 2020 5:10 am

Insect 'bat' - can I take on in my bag?

Hi all,

Can I take a battery powered insect 'bat' in either checked or hand luggage with BA? It's one of those devices like a tennis racquet that delivers an electric shock to kill insects.

BA's website says "devices designed specifically to stun or immobilise are completely forbidden" and goes on to talk about stun guns, tasers, and "animal killers". I assume an insect bat falls foul of the latter, but TripAdvisor is full of people extolling the virtues of such devices in wasp-prone areas. I assumed they'd taken their own with them but now I'm not sure. Does anyone have any experience?

If we can't take it it'll go back to Amazon!

krispy84 Sep 18, 2020 5:13 am

Originally Posted by saint_em (Post 32683926)
Hi all,

Can I take a battery powered insect 'bat' in either checked or hand luggage with BA? It's one of those devices like a tennis racquet that delivers an electric shock to kill insects.

BA's website says "devices designed specifically to stun or immobilise are completely forbidden" and goes on to talk about stun guns, tasers, and "animal killers". I assume an insect bat falls foul of the latter, but TripAdvisor is full of people extolling the virtues of such devices in wasp-prone areas. I assumed they'd taken their own with them but now I'm not sure. Does anyone have any experience?

I would put it in my checked luggage, empty of batteries, without a second thought.

BOH Sep 18, 2020 5:20 am

Originally Posted by saint_em (Post 32683926)
Hi all,

Not sure an aircraft cabin at 38,000ft is a "wasp-prone area". Why would you even consider putting it in your hand-luggage? ;)

saint_em Sep 18, 2020 5:41 am

Thanks both! Checked bag it is.

As for cabins being low risk... Haven't you ever read "Death in the Clouds" by Agatha Christie? A wasp features quite prominently!

krispy84 Sep 18, 2020 5:58 am

Originally Posted by saint_em (Post 32683964)
Thanks both! Checked bag it is.

As for cabins being low risk... Haven't you ever read "Death in the Clouds" by Agatha Christie? A wasp features quite prominently!

Ah, but the killer blow was delivered by blow dart! :D

fotographer Sep 18, 2020 7:10 am

a great idea for a new movie... "Bats on the plane"

Agent69 Sep 18, 2020 7:17 am

I remember being on a flight SIN - PER with Qantas and watching snakes on a plane (bit of a lame ending)

adrianlondon Sep 18, 2020 7:30 am

Checked luggage no problem. I've bought them and flown with them before, many times.

saint_em Sep 18, 2020 7:40 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon (Post 32684155)
Checked luggage no problem. I've bought them and flown with them before, many times.

That's great to hear, thank you.

TTmex Sep 18, 2020 9:00 am

Are you intending to use it to swat away cabin crew clutching a delivery of beetroot sandwiches?

saint_em Sep 18, 2020 9:02 am

Originally Posted by TTmex (Post 32684367)
Are you intending to use it to swat away cabin crew clutching a delivery of beetroot sandwiches?

Haha. I love beetroot and would probably actively choose that if offered!

TTmex Sep 18, 2020 9:11 am

Originally Posted by saint_em (Post 32684373)
Haha. I love beetroot and would probably actively choose that if offered!

Each to their own. Haha

HIDDY Sep 18, 2020 9:13 am

No such thing here so I just swipe them with my ping pong bat instead.....I used to be the Boys Brigade Champion you know. :rolleyes:

Woodbinerich Sep 18, 2020 9:29 am

Originally Posted by BOH (Post 32683937)
Not sure an aircraft cabin at 38,000ft is a "wasp-prone area". Why would you even consider putting it in your hand-luggage? ;)

We had to capture a wasp on LHR to KRK a few weeks back that was terrorising Row one. The CSM was petrified! We could have done with a wasp swatter !

Howard Long Sep 18, 2020 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich (Post 32684419)
We had to capture a wasp on LHR to KRK a few weeks back that was terrorising Row one. The CSM was petrified! We could have done with a wasp swatter !

Was it wearing a mask though?