Denied boarding: BA demands return ticket

Old Sep 17, 20, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Denied boarding: BA demands return ticket

Hello

Very urgent: partner is in Sao Paulo, ready to board flight to GRU-LHR and then LHR-FRA. She holds a Visa D /(longstay) for Belgium and she is going to take the bus onwards to Brussels. BA wont let her board and demand a return ticket. Flight leaving in an hour: what to do???
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP
Perhaps buy her a cheap onward ticket online to Belgium quickly if they will accept that.
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Not sure how a ticket Belgium is any different from a ticket to Germany. If she is leaving the UK, what concern is it to BA, unless they demand a return to Brazil, in which case argue the Belgium residency issue?
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Brazilian passport?

On what basis can she enter Germany?
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:34 am

https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/eeas/fi...estions_en.pdf

15 I have a valid long stay visa/residence permit for a country that is part of the Schengen area. Do I need another visa to travel to other Schengen states?
No. A long stay visa or a residence permit issued by a Schengen State allows you to travel or stay in other Schengen States, while respecting the maximum duration of a “short stay” (a stay of "90 days in any 180 day period").

16 Do I have to present any other document at the Schengen external borders apart from my travel document with the Schengen visa?
The short-stay visa does not automatically entitle you to enter the Schengen area. At border (or during other controls) you may have to show the visa but also provide additional documentation, for example information on that you have sufficient means to cover the stay and the return trip. It is therefore recommended that you carry with you copies of the documents which you presented when applying for the visa (e.g. letters of invitation, travel confirmations, other documents stating the purpose of your stay).
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:36 am

I assume they are just transiting at LHR & the issue is being refused admission to Germany? Do they have evidence of a bus ticket to Belgium? If not can they buy one or a train ticket on-line now?
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:38 am
Original Poster

yes, she has a bus ticket with her to Belgium. I bough another Avios redemption for a flight to Brazil for August next year but obviously I am pissed off. But Avios bookings can be cancelled right? what do I lose if I would cancel that flight tomorrow after she clears border control?
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Club; U2 Flight Club; Hilton Honors; IHG
If you cancel within 24 hours through the call centre you loose nothing
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:41 am

Cancelling within 24 hours is free though you will probably have to call & May be on hold for a while. Other option is convert to a Future Travel Voucher or cancel down the line for usual £35 fee.
Old Sep 17, 20, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Ok, so she is now allowed to board but she is scared about arriving in Germany. Anyone has experiences arriving there as a non-EU citizen since the pandemic started? again, she is on a longterm Schengen visa for Belgium and will take a bus from Frankfurt to Brussels
Old Sep 17, 20, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Thinksamuel View Post
Ok, so she is now allowed to board but she is scared about arriving in Germany. Anyone has experiences arriving there as a non-EU citizen since the pandemic started? again, she is on a longterm Schengen visa for Belgium and will take a bus from Frankfurt to Brussels
I think it will be fine, I find they tend to be fairly reasonable in most Schengen countries. If you have proof of an entry permit and travel for an onward Schengen country I don't see the issue.

I have an non-EU passport and flew into Germany from LHR last week and they didn't even bother having guards at passport control! When exiting Germany the guard was looking for my entry stamp and I told him there were no staff so he just sent me on my way!
Old Sep 17, 20, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by Thinksamuel View Post
With those credential she should be fine.
Old Sep 17, 20, 12:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
She should be OK, in the unlikely event the German border guards ask any questions, they should be easily handled. They may want to know the reason for being in Belgium, accommodation arrangements and so on. If she has some supporting emails about where she is staying (rental agreement) then that may help, but I can't see a problem and I doubt the emails would be needed, it's not really what happens unless there is some other factor involved.

The issue you had at GRU is that in terms of GRU this is an unusual visa situation from their perspective, and by the sounds of it booked at short notice. It does have some red flags around it, so it's not unusual for people to get return tickets, even though they are refundable, just to make life easier. In the past UK citizens often did this when going to the USA or Austrialia, out of an excess of caution.
Old Sep 17, 20, 1:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
We arrived in Germany without visa just with marriage certificate and the germans dont even blink an eyelid!

It's the french and the greeks that didnt initially understand the regulations (as set out in eu 38/2004) but with D visa she should have 0 problems entering Germany! keep her calm and let her enjoy her time in Europe.

Also call ba to cancel the avios ticket within 24 hours of booking and you get everything back!
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 1:00 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
BA said she needs a return ticket? Returning to where?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: