FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   2 hour Transit LHR from USA to AMS...doable? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2025215-2-hour-transit-lhr-usa-ams-doable.html)

feysul Sep 16, 2020 12:37 pm

2 hour Transit LHR from USA to AMS...doable?

Is a two hour transit time doable at LHR? I will be arriving in from ORD transiting to AMS.

OR

Would you all fly ORD>DFW>AMS?

ORD>LHR>AMS Total Travel time 10 Hour 55 min

ORD>DFW>AMS Total Travel Time 13 Hour 40 min.

What are your thoughts?

golfmad Sep 16, 2020 12:40 pm

To answer your specific question, a two hour connection time (flights on a single ticket) should be perfectly fine at LHR.

All other things being equal, my personal preference would probably be DFW-AMS which would provide a lot more sleep time than ORD-LHR. Otherwise I'd be doing the 'nodding donkey' routine on the short LHR-AMS flight.

Geordie405 Sep 16, 2020 1:16 pm

If you're flying ORD - DFW then there's at least one flight a day that is on the B789 so you could have lie-flat seats on that sector too! I'd probably do ORD - DFW - AMS based on more sleep time, plus hot food on AA.

Often1 Sep 16, 2020 1:26 pm

Not enough great hot food to be had to justify roughly an additional 5 hours of flying time in the "wrong" direction. Quick overnight hop to LHR vs. 2-1/2 hours to DFW seems easier.

golfmad Sep 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32680242)
Not enough great hot food to be had to justify roughly an additional 5 hours of flying time in the "wrong" direction. Quick overnight hop to LHR vs. 2-1/2 hours to DFW seems easier.

Ordinarily I would agree with you and the food would be an irrelevance for me. However, I'd be sleeping all the way from DFW-AMS. I would be in far better shape on arrival with less recovery time required on a longer overnight flight with no short hop at the other end.

Also, I suspect the arrival time into AMS would be earlier from DFW than from LHR.

Newbtravelle Sep 16, 2020 1:37 pm

I did a 1hr45 connection. LAX to OSL and managed to bag a facial travelling CW. Talk about sheer luck!!

cvm0093 Sep 16, 2020 1:38 pm

If your arriving and departing from the same terminal in one single ticket (i.e. bags checked all the way through and not 'landing' yourself) of course youll be fine :)

Even if it is different terminal you will be too!

Only thing I can see go wrong there is if your first flight gets delayed, or your having to collect baggage which would make it a very tight connections but then again probably still doable as there is not much people travelling at the moment.

I'm guessing OW-OW carriers due to the forum nearly all of them are T5 for now, there is a guide posted about doing transfers straight to B or C gates if you happened to gate at one of the external satellites to make things easier, however with the current situation maybe someone who has travelled recently can confirm if it is still available.

Happy Travels!

onobond Sep 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Another vote for the moderate increase in travel time, but with a considerable comfort (i.e. sleep) benefit with the ORD-DFW-LHR-AMS routing.

It was interesting to see there's a daily B789 on the ORD-DFW rotation. Some years ago, when I flew this route more regularly, it used to be a daily B777, sold as two-class, thus us with premium cards able to snag the F cabin seats.

As per the question of 2h to be enough for the transit at LHR, it's double the MCT, so you'll be fine. In the-better-before-times, I might have considered the advice of a later AMS flight to make proper use of T5 lounges, but for present times, a quick pop-in will do fine.

cvm0093 Sep 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Here it is: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post25935803

golfmad Sep 16, 2020 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by onobond (Post 32680290)
Another vote for the moderate increase in travel time, but with a considerable comfort (i.e. sleep) benefit with the ORD-DFW-LHR-AMS routing.

My understanding is that the DFW option is ORD-DFW-AMS on AA with no LHR connection.

onobond Sep 16, 2020 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 32680295)
My understanding is that the DFW option is ORD-DFW-AMS on AA with no LHR connection.

Oh, yes. Should've gone to Specsavers before posting... :)

Although I acknowledge OP's alternative routing plans, this is FT after all, so an itinerary ORD-DFW-LHR-AMS will incur the same price (roughly, didn't actually check, only by experience), but combines longer sleep time and higher TP/EQM/EQD

golfmad Sep 16, 2020 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by onobond (Post 32680331)
... but combines longer sleep time and higher TP/EQM/EQD

Longer but not longest :)
I take your point though.

Gig103 Sep 16, 2020 2:12 pm

I'm another vote for "It's doable, but go through DFW anyway". Bypassing LHR sounds like something worth a few hours in Dallas. It's also one less security screening, and LHR security has never been smooth sailing for me even following the rules.

tcdtcd Sep 16, 2020 2:23 pm

I’m not a huge fan of DFW (esp transferring), but I avoid LHR at all costs for transferring.

onobond Sep 16, 2020 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 32680348)
Longer but not longest :)
I take your point though.

OK, I'II humbly return to my cave, walking backwards, bowing... :D
Being one of the gifted that requires less sleep time than DFW-LHR and still have time for both dinner and some IFE. I do of course encompass the difference between having only 9h 0m on AA, 9h 5m on BA going DFW-LHR, compared to the luxury of having an undisturbed time of 9h 15m going to CDG ;)

Considering also the possibility of a shower and a brekkie in LHR vs no arrival lounge in CDG (I stopped flying AA to CDG when the arrival lounge was enhanced away)

But, you're right, my flight is shorter than yours...