Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2 hour Transit LHR from USA to AMS...doable?

2 hour Transit LHR from USA to AMS...doable?

Old Sep 16, 20, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I also believe the flagship is open in DFW current. Stand to be corrected
Old Sep 16, 20, 3:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by onobond View Post
But, you're right, my flight is shorter than yours...
Actually, I forgot about the extra hour in AMS and for some reason thought it was 10 hours compared to 9 hours which of course it's not. I didn't intend to come across as completely pedantic this time.
Old Sep 16, 20, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
is this a BA question?

If so the MCT at T5 on one ticket will be 60 minutes and your connection time would be more than enough. If you have lounge access you should even have enough time for a shower and some breakfast

If it is a BA question and not on one ticket then that changes things a lot. Hold luggage would mean having to enter the UK, collect your bags and recheck. two hours could be getting tight and I would book a later flight to AMS and then look try and use the same day change if I was back at checkin/bag drop in time for the earlier flight.
Old Sep 16, 20, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM, MR/SPG LT Plat
I’m not a huge fan of DFW (esp transferring), but I avoid LHR at all costs for transferring.
Old Sep 16, 20, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet View Post
is this a BA question?

If so the MCT at T5 on one ticket will be 60 minutes and your connection time would be more than enough. If you have lounge access you should even have enough time for a shower and some breakfast

If it is a BA question and not on one ticket then that changes things a lot. Hold luggage would mean having to enter the UK, collect your bags and recheck. two hours could be getting tight and I would book a later flight to AMS and then look try and use the same day change if I was back at checkin/bag drop in time for the earlier flight.
Judging by the OP's other thread today on a similar subject I believe it's all on one-ticket:

Flying to AMS from ORD.... who do i book with AA or BA?

It sounds like a straight choice between BA and AA.
Old Sep 16, 20, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Judging by the OP's other thread today on a similar subject I believe it's all on one-ticket:

Flying to AMS from ORD.... who do i book with AA or BA?

It sounds like a straight choice between BA and AA.

OK, so probably all T5 then, 2 hours is plenty of time and the connection would be protected so no need to worry unless you want to spend longer in t5
Old Sep 16, 20, 5:12 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Is it just me or has everyone so far made the classic FT assumption that the OP is travelling in J or F? The original post makes no mention of class of travel.

OP, telling us which cabin you’re travelling in will help with advice.

Originally Posted by feysul View Post
Is a two hour transit time doable at LHR? I will be arriving in from ORD transiting to AMS.

OR

Would you all fly ORD>DFW>AMS?

ORD>LHR>AMS Total Travel time 10 Hour 55 min

ORD>DFW>AMS Total Travel Time 13 Hour 40 min.

What are your thoughts?
Old Sep 16, 20, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
Is it just me or has everyone so far made the classic FT assumption that the OP is travelling in J or F? The original post makes no mention of class of travel.

Are there other classes available?
Old Sep 16, 20, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Are there other classes available?
My staff inform me so 😁😁😁
Old Sep 16, 20, 5:59 pm

The class of travel does not make a difference to MCT at LHR, Not really sure we need to know to answer the OPs question
Old Sep 16, 20, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet View Post
The class of travel does not make a difference to MCT at LHR, Not really sure we need to know to answer the OPs question
Class of travel is relevant, IMHO, to whether the OP should fly ORD-LHR-AMS or ORD-DFW-AMS, which is the underlying question in the OP’s post.
Old Sep 16, 20, 6:07 pm

Class of travel is relevant, IMHO, to whether the OP should fly ORD-LHR-AMS or ORD-DFW-AMS, which is the underlying question in the OP’s post.
fair comment and thank you for the clarification, it will not affect the original question about connection time in LHR
Old Sep 16, 20, 11:03 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
I also believe the flagship is open in DFW current. Stand to be corrected
Unfortunately not, all American Airlines Flagship Lounge's except JFK is closed at the moment. The FL at JFK is currently open but offering Admirals Club service with nothing premium.
When flying through DFW, the OP would have access to the American Airlines Admirals Club over there and still if he wants to have a premium drink, he must pay for it as they have also removed the x2 drink coupon for premium cabin and status passengers.
Old Sep 17, 20, 12:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Unfortunately not, all American Airlines Flagship Lounge's except JFK is closed at the moment. The FL at JFK is currently open but offering Admirals Club service with nothing premium.
When flying through DFW, the OP would have access to the American Airlines Admirals Club over there and still if he wants to have a premium drink, he must pay for it as they have also removed the x2 drink coupon for premium cabin and status passengers.
Seems Google betrayed me. Appears open on there, but then lounge buddy days it's closed. I've been checking as thinking of heading Stateside in November, currently and hopefully still then allowed as based in Mex, not Europe. Thanks for clarifying
Old Sep 17, 20, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Not enough great hot food to be had to justify roughly an additional 5 hours of flying time in the "wrong" direction. Quick overnight hop to LHR vs. 2-1/2 hours to DFW seems easier.
Do I read you correctly to be saying that your recommended route is a function of how much airplane food one would be served?

On the OP’s question, with an ontime arrival into LHR and a 2-hour connection time, I’d guess that you’d make your connection 95+% of the time. And that may be a lowball estimate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: