Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flying to AMS from ORD.... who do i book with AA or BA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold

I am flying in Oct to AMS from ORD. I would like any suggestions on what company to book with.

My flight from ORD is ORD>DFW>AMS

flight back is: AMS>LHR>ORD

I am One World Emerald with Iberia.

Does it make a difference? What do you suggest in terms of be increasing my risk of upgrading to business via AUP/POUG or upon checkin?

Thanks much!!
Old Sep 16, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
American Airlines' change policies are better than British Airways'.
However, if you book through BA, you would have the opportunity to upgrade your flights with POUG or AUP for the return leg with BA.
For your flight from ORD, if you're seeking for a AA paid upgrade, it's better that you purchase your ticket with AA.

These were what came to my mind.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 10:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is a strong argument for going with the cheapest. If they are botht he same-ish, then the fastest/best timed. For all the nitpicking we can do about this, both options are on reasonable airlines with good safety and comfort. If either service is an A350 then that's a small advantage, it is a good aircraft, and 787 if in WTP is fine too, in my view.

Because you would presumably be booking as one ticket, you would be reducing your chances of a POUG on BA by dint of the AMS leg, this tends to prevent the computers from calculating the POUG. You would have a high chance of an AUP regardless of this however. At the moment POUGs seem to be a high chance, though obviously compare fares to see if it would be better to book in business class from the outset. But to answer your question on the BA side you cannot count on a POUG to AMS, you would be more likely if booked to LHR, but that poses numerous other issues. For AUP then any BA routing would do.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
To the OP: Are you considering different flights? Or the same flights but booked on either a BA or AA code?

It wasn’t quite clear to me.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by krispy84
To the OP: Are you considering different flights? Or the same flights but booked on either a BA or AA code?

It wasn’t quite clear to me.
sorry if I wasn’t clear. The same flights.

I have to fly ORD to AMS.

I am trying to find the best way of flying with the best chanCE of AUP. AMERICAN? Or British?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.