BA Experiences 9/11 & other tragedies

Old Sep 11, 20, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
BA Experiences 9/11 & other tragedies

Today was the anniversary of the heart breaking, tradegy of 9/11. (A bit late UK time sorry.)

Where many of you flying into NY that day on BA?

I know this crosses a line and could be OMNI territory but I donít wish it to Mods. I ask from a BA perspective. NYLON is the flight path for BA.

How did you feel if you were arriving or departing JFK? What was the BA reaction that afternoon/morning?

i distinctively remember where I was, as Iím sure many do.

At 9am (US) there are not many, if any BA flights so it made me wonder about what BA did. NYLON is a huge lifeline for BA

I also watched the film about Sully and US1549 last night for the first ever time. Itís remarkable.

Both are incredibly sad moments in time. IĎm sorry if this is a sensitive subject for some. I am intrigued by these events as I cannot imagine what people went through on these days.

However on a positive point, it makes me think how safe flying can be. BA have always made me feel safe. Long may that continue.

I will never forgot.

Thanks for keeping us safe.
Old Sep 11, 20, 7:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I flew into LHR with BA on 9/11 and landed shortly before the news broke. I will never forget that day and the people who lost their lives in the air and on the ground.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Sep 12, 20, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
9/11 and other tragedies have certainly been defining moments in history. It was obvious things had changed on 9/11 and equally on 7/7. I always try to visit Ground zero when in New York & think what is there now is a very tasteful and elegant tribute to those who lost their lives. Worth remembering many survivors have been left with scars, emotional & physical - including lung conditions - which will last forever.

One change for BA seemed to be an increase in cost cutting. I seem to recall the removal of the Upper Deck 747 Purser position around 2001 (just think - 20 years ago a 744 would have had a CSD (not part of the service flow) and four Purser positions 1F, 2CW & 1WT/P! We now are going to one CSM position).

it was also the end of flightdeck visits during flight and the start of enhanced security everywhere.
Old Sep 12, 20, 4:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I flew MAN-FRA on LH in the evening. At the time, there was a huge TV screen in one of the bars at MAN T1 (the sort where about 20 normal TVs made up one big picture), and it was showing the news. There must have been 200 people standing with pints watching in shocked silence.

In those days, it was normal for the cockpit door to be left open on the LH 737s during flight. Quite often I'd have a look in when I went to the loo.

That night, the door was closed, and nobody stood up or used the loo for the whole flight. There hadn't been any warnings or anything, but people just knew not to.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Sep 12, 20, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I was supposed to fly to JFK the next day for a meeting with our NY office. I stopped working on my presentation when my wife called me from home to tell me that a small plane had flown into the WTC and I should switch on the TV.
Old Sep 12, 20, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Silver / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire Ambassador / SPG Gold
If I recall correctly BA1, Concorde was the last flight to get to JFK. Everything else either turned back or went to Canada
Old Sep 12, 20, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by binman View Post
If I recall correctly BA1, Concorde was the last flight to get to JFK. Everything else either turned back or went to Canada
I don't think that's right, Concorde was still grounded in September 2001 following the Paris crash. I was meant to travel to New York on September 15th 2001 with my dad to celebrate his 70th birthday. I'd been hoping the rocket would be back in service by then but unfortunately it wasn't. I did manage to get a couple of F redemptions but of course the flights got cancelled in chaos that followed 9/11.
Old Sep 12, 20, 5:34 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I was in 3A flying LHR-LAX. I remember just before departure 3 diplomats from the Middle East boarded last from a limo. We did a slow turn just over Greenland and I remember the maps and phones being turned off. About 30 minutes later the captain said "Due to an international security incident Unite States airspace has been closed and we are waiting to be told where to go". A few hours later we arrived in Cardiff where the diplomats were met by a police car and the rest of us told we would be coached to a hotel and fly the next day. I didn't believe this would happen so shared a taxi with 2 others I got talking to all the way back to Reading.

I got a call on the Thursday evening from BA saying they could fly me out the following day which I did and that was a very odd experience.
BearX220, HIDDY, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 12, 20, 10:19 am

Concorde wasnít in commercial service then from the Air France crash in 2000.

She was flying however. Think it was Alpha-Foxtrot (G-BOAF) was in the air following the modifications made to her following the 2000 crash and she was given the greenlight to return to service when in the air. When they landed and taxied the plane round to BA Engineering, they got off and were told the news then about what was happening in America.
Old Sep 12, 20, 12:45 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Ag, Ex VS Au, Avis Pres, Enterprise Plat, Ex Marriott Plat, HHonors Ag, Priority Club Au
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post

She was flying however. Think it was Alpha-Foxtrot (G-BOAF) was in the air following the modifications made to her following the 2000 crash and she was given the greenlight to return to service when in the air. When they landed and taxied the plane round to BA Engineering, they got off and were told the news then about what was happening in America.
Yes. Think she was doing a trial Run with BA staff as pax half way out over the Atlantic and back again.
Old Sep 12, 20, 1:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
I was headed with the family for a week in FL (first visit to the US), we were flying AMS-LHR-MIA but ended up diverting to BDA. We never made it to MIA and spent the week in BDA instead. I recall the IFE was shut off at one point during the flight without a notice, then upon landing in BDA the captain shared the news with everyone. RIP.
wrp96 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Sep 13, 20, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Silver / Hilton Diamond / IHG Spire Ambassador / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by woodey View Post
I don't think that's right, Concorde was still grounded in September 2001 following the Paris crash. I was meant to travel to New York on September 15th 2001 with my dad to celebrate his 70th birthday. I'd been hoping the rocket would be back in service by then but unfortunately it wasn't. I did manage to get a couple of F redemptions but of course the flights got cancelled in chaos that followed 9/11.
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post

Concorde did fly that day to JFK and did land in New York according to Concorde Heritage. I couldnít recall the details correctly but was certain it had flown. It wasnít a commercial flight and had staff.
Old Sep 13, 20, 3:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Ag, Ex VS Au, Avis Pres, Enterprise Plat, Ex Marriott Plat, HHonors Ag, Priority Club Au
Concorde did fly that day to JFK and did land in New York according to Concorde Heritage. I couldnít recall the details correctly but was certain it had flown. It wasnít a commercial flight and had staff.
didnít land at JFK though. From the
Heritage Concorde website.

ĎDuring the 3-hour 20-minute flight over the mid-Atlantic towards Iceland, Bannister attained Mach 2.02 and 60,000 ft (18,000 m) before returning to RAF Brize Norton.í

https://www.heritageconcorde.com/con...-towers-attack
Old Sep 13, 20, 4:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by gliderpilot View Post
didnít land at JFK though. From the
Heritage Concorde website.

ĎDuring the 3-hour 20-minute flight over the mid-Atlantic towards Iceland, Bannister attained Mach 2.02 and 60,000 ft (18,000 m) before returning to RAF Brize Norton.í

https://www.heritageconcorde.com/con...-towers-attack
That flight was 17th July - the first flight after the modifications.

The September 11th flight landed at JFK - the first transatlantic test Concorde flight.
Old Sep 13, 20, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
That flight was 17th July - the first flight after the modifications.

The September 11th flight landed at JFK - the first transatlantic test Concorde flight.
True. My apologies on that. I stand by that they didnít land at jfk on sept 11 though (Maybe you/they are thinking of the Air France one that got stranded there for a bit). See the link below, the first BA Concorde arrived months after, with Rudy Giuliani coming aboard to thank the passengers personally.

CONCORDE SST : RETURN TO FLIGHT - RETURN TO SERVICE

Search this Thread
Search Engine: