Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Any update on this. From a friend travelling to NCL on Friday the lounge is now gutted and empty so unless a total interior rebuild I guess the temporary closure has become permanent,

Wonder what will happen to the space.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
The optimist in me would be hoping the BA were using the downtime to finally refurbish the lounge as they always had to make do from cast offs from the other lounges. It was the people who worked there that made the lounge so great, always welcoming and they did such a good job of maintaining it the furniture probably lasted longer there than similar lounges.

Unfortunately in the current situation with cost cutting essential it's very likely closed for good. The only use I could see for the space is an extension of Aspire. Most likely will remain empty. Having their own lounge was the only competitive advantage BA had at NCL when you were booking a flight that required a connection. Until flights were stopped from NL you were getting more flights per week from KLM than BA.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 8:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Any update on this. From a friend travelling to NCL on Friday the lounge is now gutted and empty so unless a total interior rebuild I guess the temporary closure has become permanent,
That would have been quick. I was there earlier in the week and the chairs, cups, spirit bottles, glasses, plates were all in place.
jerry a. laska, carlbob and ENTP like this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That would have been quick. I was there earlier in the week and the chairs, cups, spirit bottles, glasses, plates were all in place.
That was just to wind you up!!
Old Dec 23, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
On passing through yesterday I can confirm that the place has indeed been totally gutted of all fixtures, fittings and furniture. No temporary closure here I'm afraid, it very much is a permanent closure.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 3:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
On passing through yesterday I can confirm that the place has indeed been totally gutted of all fixtures, fittings and furniture. No temporary closure here I'm afraid, it very much is a permanent closure.
I could not really press the Lke button on this one. Bit short sighted I feel, unless they make arrangement with Aspire or the currently postponed new airport lounge.
MarcD, squawk, Tocsin and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:11 am

I could not really press the Lke button on this one. Bit short sighted I feel, unless they make arrangement with Aspire or the currently postponed new airport lounge.
Indeed, it is all very sad, and I presume in time BA will strike an agreement for some sort of on site lounge provision. Short term the Aspire lounge would be the only real option, as the works on the Airport's own lounge have halted and there is currently no restart timescale I'm told.

I sincerely hope in the near future that both EDI/GLA reopen as planned.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
Thanks for the update TyneTraveller - rather sad that it has come to this especially for the staff at NCL Lounge.

CWS - I agree entirely - I couldn't press the like button either. I agree that it seems short sighted but let us hope some arrangments can be made.

Merry Christmas to the Newcastle gang (and all our other travellers)
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:12 am

Oh no, this really is dreadful news for my local airport and the lovely staff in the lounge.

Although I only had the opportunity to go in a few times, the staff were always fantastic and it was a nice homely lounge that was exceedingly convenient for the gate. I arrived back a few weeks back and ad I walked past I peered in, hoping it would reopen soon. I’ll certainly contact BA again to express displeasure though doubt my perspective will carry any weight.

I really hope the staff are OK - are they employed by BA directly, or a contractor like BS?

edit - just saw CWS’ post from September that I somehow missed : “Yes, the BS staff, now being made redundant”
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
With the formal closing of the Newcastle lounge, this leaves Manchester, Chicago and Seattle as the only Terraces concept lounges in the network.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:38 am

As another in the Newcastle club I'm going to hold out some hope, regardless of how irrational it may be. Maybe BA has a long term lease on it and it will work out cheaper overall to reopen once things are back to normal rather than having to use Aspire. Surely they wouldn't put themselves in the position of having no lounge option at all?

I'm trying to avoid thinking about the more likely alternative of some kind of termination option coinciding with covid; closure and then removal of all contents would certainly fit with that scenario.

If it is gone for good it's a massive chunk taken out of something which is increasingly rare - an actually enjoyable airport experience. I love flying out of Newcastle, the combination of being in the lounge (where there's always a comfy seat available) within ten minutes of parking the car (at worst!) plus the friendliness of all the staff (in the whole place, not just the lounge) makes it a delight. The contrast with places like Manchester is enormous. Travelling is generally a chore these days but Newcastle has been a big exception. Make sure it stays that way BA!
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by taranty
As another in the Newcastle club I'm going to hold out some hope, regardless of how irrational it may be. Maybe BA has a long term lease on it and it will work out cheaper overall to reopen once things are back to normal rather than having to use Aspire. Surely they wouldn't put themselves in the position of having no lounge option at all?

I'm trying to avoid thinking about the more likely alternative of some kind of termination option coinciding with covid; closure and then removal of all contents would certainly fit with that scenario.

If it is gone for good it's a massive chunk taken out of something which is increasingly rare - an actually enjoyable airport experience. I love flying out of Newcastle, the combination of being in the lounge (where there's always a comfy seat available) within ten minutes of parking the car (at worst!) plus the friendliness of all the staff (in the whole place, not just the lounge) makes it a delight. The contrast with places like Manchester is enormous. Travelling is generally a chore these days but Newcastle has been a big exception. Make sure it stays that way BA!
I certainly admire the optimism in your post, and only wish that this was not the case. There are no plans to have a branded lounge at NCL in the future. The lounge appears stripped bare, basically derelict. It was indeed a fantastic facility for those travelling far and wide from the North East, convenient and more personal than others as you say, but sadly no longer to be.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Anyone has an in to Amex management? Centurion Lounge NCL? (With the old staff, of course). Well, one can dream
dylanks and Geordie405 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Many a Sunday afternoon spent there in a fragile state after a weekend in Newcastle. That first glass on champagne is like getting in the cold sea. Once it’s over yiur bits it’s not an uphill battle.

The warming soup, the sandwiches and cheese and biscuits with amazing staff made it one of the best lounges around.

I just hope the squirrel was looked after properly at this sad time.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
I would have thought with a quarter day approaching (25th Dec) which is a day when a large number of commercial rents become payable, that may have had some influence in the space being cleared out to be handed back to the landlord.
Very sad for all concerned.
Brighterside likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.