Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Old Sep 10, 20, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, LX Frequent Traveller, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Confus View Post
plus JER saved by the tax exiles and a very supportive airport authority.
JER hasn't been a BA operated lounge for some years now.
Old Sep 11, 20, 2:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Confus View Post
No you donít: you end up at Old Oak Common, with a fast and frequent service (effectively a shuttle) to the heathrow terminals. Add in a stop at Manchester airport and itís a given that it will replace the few flights that remain.
Indeed - I admit I didn't know about Old Oak Common. But it doesn't change things much, it's still a 2+ hour journey from Manchester to LHR, and still a change of trains. People are just not going to do that just to fly BA - especially if they have suitcases.
Tobias-UK and KARFA like this.
Old Sep 11, 20, 3:28 am

Obviously I hope this speculation is incorrect, but to be honest the writing was on the wall. I flew NCL LHR yesterday and I mentioned the speculation to the Checkin agent and she said she'd heard that too. Time will tell.
Old Sep 11, 20, 1:48 pm

It’s sad that those employees from the Newcastle lounge who offered such good service as has been detailed on here have to worry about the BA lounge closure and their future employment.

I suppose BA may reduce NCL flights or just push eligible passengers to a third party lounge. They probably think their revenue won’t be much affected and passengers will book as before.
Brighterside likes this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 4:40 am

This would be very sad news - the staff are excellent and it is a fantastic, homely lounge.

I have been very busy in the last week so have yet to complain about this; I also suspect my voice will carry little weight as a lowly Silver. However, every little helps!

What would be the best way of raising this - via the Complaints -> Lounges -> Something else part of the website? Or via the Silver email? Or something else?
Old Sep 14, 20, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by squawk View Post
This would be very sad news - the staff are excellent and it is a fantastic, homely lounge.

I have been very busy in the last week so have yet to complain about this; I also suspect my voice will carry little weight as a lowly Silver. However, every little helps!

What would be the best way of raising this - via the Complaints -> Lounges -> Something else part of the website? Or via the Silver email? Or something else?
I hadn't even realised gold had an email address, never mind silver! I thought it was only GGL and above and webform for everyone else.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by layz View Post
I hadn't even realised gold had an email address, never mind silver! I thought it was only GGL and above and webform for everyone else.
Oh, layz you may be correct! Iíve never had to contact BA about something like this so am not familiar with the most appropriate way. I know Silver have a phone number, as Iíve used this for booking/refunds, and just assumed there was an email contact to.

Let me rephrase my question: to raise this as an issue/complaint, when it doesnít refer to a specific negative experience of a journey/lounge (which is what the web form seems to be aimed at), whatís the best way to bring it to BAís attention?

Web form? Silver phone line? Twitter? Smoke signals?
Old Sep 14, 20, 6:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by squawk View Post
Web form? Silver phone line? Twitter? Smoke signals?
Web form is best on one level, so long as you end up with a blank part screen in which to type your comments. It ends up with a CR adviser who gets to see that text and then sends the reply. I suspect it will be similar to the above, "no firm plans", but it will then be chalked up on the complaint list, in cases anyone is checking it. Twitter may be another approach since it's puts a more public spin on it. The key point to make is "if there are no firm plans, why are the staff being made redundant?"
layz and squawk like this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Web form is best on one level, so long as you end up with a blank part screen in which to type your comments. It ends up with a CR adviser who gets to see that text and then sends the reply. I suspect it will be similar to the above, "no firm plans", but it will then be chalked up on the complaint list, in cases anyone is checking it. Twitter may be another approach since it's puts a more public spin on it. The key point to make is "if there are no firm plans, why are the staff being made redundant?"
Thanks c-w-s, much appreciated. Edit: ended up using this form.

Last edited by squawk; Sep 14, 20 at 6:58 am
Old Sep 14, 20, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
I have also submitted comments / expressed disappointment using the same form. Hopefully if enough people do the same it may prompt BA into reconsidering.
Old Sep 14, 20, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
I have also submitted comments / expressed disappointment using the same form. Hopefully if enough people do the same it may prompt BA into reconsidering.
And I have done the same. I agree with your second sentence..
Old Sep 14, 20, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MarkFlies View Post
Itís sad that those employees from the Newcastle lounge who offered such good service as has been detailed on here have to worry about the BA lounge closure and their future employment.

I suppose BA may reduce NCL flights or just push eligible passengers to a third party lounge. They probably think their revenue wonít be much affected and passengers will book as before.
Completely agree, itís very sad to see anybody lose their jobs for reasons beyond their control. NCL is one of my favourite lounges in the network.

On your second point, I would imagine that BA will crunch the numbers and think that they wonít see much change in flyer behaviour. Would any of our NCL-based travellers move away from
BA just because they no longer offer their own lounge?
Old Sep 14, 20, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation View Post
Would any of our NCL-based travellers move away from BA just because they no longer offer their own lounge?
I might. I'm not really based in Newcastle but it's the airport I use when I am back in the UK visiting family and friends. I have been considering flying to the US via DUB instead of via LHR as it would benefit from pre-clearance. However, right now the timings don't really work. Ultimately, though, for anyone in NCL connecting to or from long-haul BA or OW flights at LHR there isn't really any alternative. For me, it would boil down to cost and convenience.
Old Sep 15, 20, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue
I've just completed the form too stressing how many of us have tried to continue flying with the airline as best we can with the mediocre amount of flights at the minute.
Old Sep 15, 20, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, HH diamond IHG plat
I’d be more concerned about the future of NCL flights than the lounge. There will be some sort of lounge provided for BA customers as long as there are flights

Search this Thread