Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Old Sep 9, 20, 1:35 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Very sad news. But if the industry changes significantly, I can see that BA will need to change too, to survive. I expect lounge costs are justified against fares and can see that fewer J and flex economy fares will make lounge provision a less viable proposition.

I would not be surprised if we came out of this pamdemic without any arrival lounges too. Few other airlines offer these. If VS disappears I can see that the commercial need for them would fast fall away.
Old Sep 9, 20, 2:00 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dan72 View Post
Very sad news. But if the industry changes significantly, I can see that BA will need to change too, to survive. I expect lounge costs are justified against fares and can see that fewer J and flex economy fares will make lounge provision a less viable proposition.

I would not be surprised if we came out of this pamdemic without any arrival lounges too. Few other airlines offer these. If VS disappears I can see that the commercial need for them would fast fall away.
The key thing with all of this is that over the years the LCCs have changed the perception of so many that air travel is simply a commodity and therefore lowest price wins. By unbundling the various components such as fees for seat selection, check-in baggage, on-board meals etc etc the "race to the bottom" is now complete and BA will have to further adjust to this.

I totally agree with you, with the huge drop in high yield C/J/F pax and feed-in connecting traffic from smaller airports virtually disappearing for the foreseeable future, the days of the independent BA lounges in the regions and smaller European destinations are doomed.
Old Sep 9, 20, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hhonors Gold
Sad times. Growing up in the North East this was the first BA lounge I visited (on my first ever flight).
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Raddison Rewards Gold
Oh that is bad news. While as others have mentioned it was showing it's age a little I always loved being in NCL Terraces and having a 'proper' BA lounge at our home airport, never crowded and super service. Best of luck to all the staff affected.

A future of Aspire, or no lounge at all does not exactly appeal. I am really not a fan of Aspire which I find quite a depressing space with disappointing food and drinks.

As an almost exclusively NCL based leisure traveller these days this will make me question whether it's worth maintaining BA status going forward, especially if the schedule is next to take a hit.
Brighterside, Tocsin and TraumaDoc like this.

Last edited by MarcD; Sep 9, 20 at 3:38 am
Old Sep 9, 20, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Iberia doesnít have any of its own lounges apart from at its main hub does it?

Maybe thatís the most viable future model. Airport-operated or third party lounges only apart from LHR and maybe JFK.
Old Sep 9, 20, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12 View Post

Maybe thatís the most viable future model. Airport-operated or third party lounges only apart from LHR and maybe JFK.
I wonder if outwith main hubs if they have Oneworld lounges. If for example T3 reopens soon would we likely see a combined oneworld offering especially if MH & QR move there.

As for regions in the UK I would imagine EDI & GLA would be ok as plane still trumps train for short haul business travel plus longhaul leisure connections
Old Sep 9, 20, 4:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12 View Post

IB used to have its own lounges at Frankfurt, Orly, and Mexico City, now branded as ďPremium Traveller LoungesĒ. I donít know if Iberia still has any involvement in the running of these lounges
Old Sep 9, 20, 4:41 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, BA GOLD
Thank you CWS for this - If confirmed this is indeed sad news especially for the lovely staff at Newcastle Airport who are always so plesant and welcoming whenever I use the lounge. It doesn't really matter to me that it could do with a refresh ascompared to some other European Lounges it is a clean and comfortable, space. As my local airport the lounge has always seemed busy when I have used it and like others have mentioned it is perfectly situated for the normal BA departure gate.

Stez - I remember the Flyertalk Do at the Badger and let us not forget the 26 July 2010 when BA used a 747 on the LHR-NCL route to celebrate the airports 75th Birthday.
Old Sep 9, 20, 5:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I wonder what this means for the new MAN lounge that was mooted for T2? I believe it would be a OW lounge rather than BA - and would have covered BA/QR/CX/AY etc.
Old Sep 9, 20, 5:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I wonder what this means for the new MAN lounge that was mooted for T2? I believe it would be a OW lounge rather than BA - and would have covered BA/QR/CX/AY etc.
Given the current climate it wouldn't surprise me if the MAN lounge remained closed with no oneworld facility being offered until the anticipated move to T2 and perhaps a oneworld lounge.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I would assume any further development of T2 at MAN will now be moved to the right quite a bit. On a slightly related note, EI are penciled in for a move to T3, so any chance of an IAG/Oneworld move to T2 at MAN are some way off at the moment.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 7:22 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL, Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
BHD Lounge is still closed- there are rumours it will reopen this month.
Both Lounges at BHD were supposed to be combined into one but I donít think this has happened and would question if it will now happen at all.
Very sorry to hear about NCL- it has reminded me to get a catch-up from LurkerWilf.....
Old Sep 9, 20, 7:50 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
This really isn't good news anyway, but especially if it will start a domino effect for other UK regional lounges. I have only visited the NCL lounge once but was really impressed by the team working there and it's such a shame on a personal level for any of the team affected.

No MAN lounge for the foreseeable might be a game-changer for me as my client is 2 minutes from Piccadilly and the train service is far more frequent. I can't see being able to work on client presentations in the open seating area at MAN T3 !! It's the only part of the "premium" experience at MAN that works even vaguely as well as it should
Old Sep 9, 20, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Sad news, the BA lounge is far superior (in terms of views, physical size and in food/drink) to the Aspire lounge next door. Unless NCL are planning on increasing the size of the domestic arrival hall, I can't imagine that the space will be used for anything apart from a lounge in the future.
Old Sep 9, 20, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
I hope this is not on the outlook for ABZ

Search this Thread