Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Just entered the luxurious Aspire lounge and been directed to the plebeian side rather than the plus side. This may be because Emirates business class customers for the flight this evening are using the Plus side - the lady in front of us with EK J bag tags was directed to turn left. We are both BA Gold and travelling in Y.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Virgin Flying Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Just entered the luxurious Aspire lounge and been directed to the plebeian side rather than the plus side. This may be because Emirates business class customers for the flight this evening are using the Plus side - the lady in front of us with EK J bag tags was directed to turn left. We are both BA Gold and travelling in Y.
You still did better than myself last night. I was on BA1332 knowing the Aspire lounge closes early on a Thursday, however I had my hopes raised by the check in agent saying that I could use the lounge (BA Silver, CE ticket). Alas when I got to the departures areas it was shut as advertised. Time for a very expensive pint in Beer House
Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Anvil1984
You still did better than myself last night. I was on BA1332 knowing the Aspire lounge closes early on a Thursday, however I had my hopes raised by the check in agent saying that I could use the lounge (BA Silver, CE ticket). Alas when I got to the departures areas it was shut as advertised. Time for a very expensive pint in Beer House
That is very poor luck indeed, sorry to hear that. It’s a shame it closes early on a Thursday.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:42 am

Programs: BA GOLD
The Aspire Lounge at 5am this morning was completely full and I got a very strange look when I asked how to get a glass of water!!! The response of the (cheerful) staff was are you sure you don't want a beer or double gin like everyone else.

No thank you just point me in the direction of the water "tap" .

To top it all off the flight had no food in CE due to "refrigeration problems" on the aircraft overnight. - the crew dealt with it very well advising that recovery vouchers would be handed out on disembarkation BUT........................guess what
Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:50 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by chipster
The jetty is still broken of course. The aspire lounge was fairly quiet at around 2pm Plus was open but not for ba golds in club. There never seemed to be much in there anyway. Am fed up of ba using these 3rd party lounges. Most recent aspire experience was San Diego yesterday. Club suites completely full after aircraft change though
Any update on the jetty? Was bust July and August (lounge was ok, but still miss the old one and the staff...) - and we're travelling again later this month!
Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tocsin
Any update on the jetty?
It was working when I last used NCL on the 9th September.
Tocsin likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by Workie Ticket
It was working when I last used NCL on the 9th September.
Great news about the jetty - I feared it had been 'enhanced' - thanks for the update Workie Ticket
Workie Ticket likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
This afternoon I walked through into the 'premium' bit of the NCL Aspire lounge as the main part was pretty busy.
A young chap asked me if I was flying with Air France/KLM or Emirates as it was only reserved for those airlines.
BA supposedly have not paid for their Gold/Silver frequent flyers (or CE pax) to use this part.
I was offered the ability to remain in my seat for a fee, didnt take them up on their offer.
This chap also said BA are planning to end Aspire access full-stop after not coming to an agreement over costs...

I previously posted about the new lounge being built upstairs but asking around it seems that plan has been shelved in the long term as the weather "has gotten in"..
Old Oct 5, 2022, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by AleTrail
This chap also said BA are planning to end Aspire access full-stop after not coming to an agreement over costs...

I previously posted about the new lounge being built upstairs but asking around it seems that plan has been shelved in the long term as the weather "has gotten in"..
Neither of these is good news at all. Although Newcastle is no longer my regular airport, if the first comes to pass then this is an even more substantial degradation of experience for BA Club Europe and status passengers. Very much hoping this is not the case.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... This chap also said BA are planning to end Aspire access full-stop after not coming to an agreement over costs ...
Very naughty of the chap to say anything about that, but since he has perhaps now is the time to make a little noise and let BA have some feedback?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Very naughty of the chap to say anything about that, but since he has perhaps now is the time to make a little noise and let BA have some feedback?
My feedback would be that replacing access to that grubby little cave with a refreshment voucher to use in the terminal would represent fantastic progress.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:27 am

This afternoon I walked through into the 'premium' bit of the NCL Aspire lounge as the main part was pretty busy.
A young chap asked me if I was flying with Air France/KLM or Emirates as it was only reserved for those airlines.
BA supposedly have not paid for their Gold/Silver frequent flyers (or CE pax) to use this part.
I was offered the ability to remain in my seat for a fee, didnt take them up on their offer.

Classic BA!
Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by G_CIVV
My feedback would be that replacing access to that grubby little cave with a refreshment voucher to use in the terminal would represent fantastic progress.
Perhaps it's because of feedback similar to this that BA have (allegedly) decided not to continue offering Aspire Lounge access. Are there any other lounges operating at NCL? I suspect, should BA not renew its contract with Aspire, the chances of BA offering a voucher would be somewhere between 0% and no-chance. I'd be very careful what I wish for ... ...
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Perhaps it's because of feedback similar to this that BA have (allegedly) decided not to continue offering Aspire Lounge access. Are there any other lounges operating at NCL? I suspect, should BA not renew its contract with Aspire, the chances of BA offering a voucher would be somewhere between 0% and no-chance. I'd be very careful what I wish for ... ...
No other lounges.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I did have a look around the locked door for the new lounge development by gate 32, and it's just rendered concrete. Even if they were working on it - which they clearly are not doing - it would be some months before it could be put in service. The old lounge area would be easier to get back in service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.