Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Old Jul 24, 22, 10:43 pm
  #316  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,022
Originally Posted by CHCflyer View Post
I used to use NCL a lot when I lived in Durham. The drive and the unpredictability of the traffic at the Metro Centre meant it was not simply a turn up/take off experience. Pre-bypass days it was a tedious drive through Gateshead. In fact I used to prefer using BMA in the old days from Tees-side. The dwell areas at NCL, most especially the gate areas were horrible. Back when BA had 757s they offered only a tea and coffee service despite the Shuttles offering lavish (for the block time) hot breakfasts (I flew MAN-LHR/LGW almost weekly). I always thought NCL did well to have a lounge (I recall it had a landside, windowless room once) but put it down to the route having a lot of corporate clients that were important to BA.
With fares currently being charged (GBP600 one-way in Club to dampen demand), those who do fly deserve better.
I live in Durham and have experienced what you describe. I live within walking distance of Durham Rail station and now find it easier to just hop on the train, get the Metro in Newcastle for the Airport directly to the Doubletree.

Due to the now extortionate fees for onsite airport parking, I find this the cheapest option.
camdentown likes this.
passy777 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 22, 6:40 am
  #317  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 612
Originally Posted by northeastflyer View Post
Where did you get this information from? I really hope so. It's currently truly disgusting service.
It was the lounge agent when we went in, not sure how true it is. Service on Friday evening was very good, they were even warming scones for one customer. They also had Asahi and tiger beers (my husband was pleasantly surprised - he wasn’t expecting a choice!)
trvllvr123 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 22, 4:15 pm
  #318  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 605
Originally Posted by passy777 View Post
I live in Durham and have experienced what you describe. I live within walking distance of Durham Rail station and now find it easier to just hop on the train, get the Metro in Newcastle for the Airport directly to the Doubletree.

Due to the now extortionate fees for onsite airport parking, I find this the cheapest option.
I used to live within walking (read hiking up the hill) distance from Durham station and used to fly Gill Air weekly taking the train and Metro to the airport, too. It could be slick if the schedules worked.
I am looking to fly BA to NCL in October but feel it would be too much of a trial but perhaps less than simply schlepping to Kings X and taking the train, even though I will have arrived from NZ.
passy777 likes this.
CHCflyer is online now  
Old Jul 30, 22, 8:38 am
  #319  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 37
Aspire Plus

Aspire Plus opens from 1st August. Does anyone know if BA business customers will be able to use Plus and if so, will children be welcome? I know Emirates use Plus and children are welcome for their flight.

Mater is offline  
Old Jul 30, 22, 12:26 pm
  #320  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by Mater View Post
Aspire Plus opens from 1st August. Does anyone know if BA business customers will be able to use Plus and if so, will children be welcome? I know Emirates use Plus and children are welcome for their flight.
I doubt it, if KLM and AF never paid to use the Plus BA aren’t going to either. The fact the site has been updated to reopen and only mentions kids in the lounge at Emirates times says to me BA won’t be using it
Mater likes this.
StuMcGrew is online now  
Old Jul 30, 22, 12:43 pm
  #321  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newcastle UK
Posts: 1,061
Originally Posted by StuMcGrew View Post
I doubt it, if KLM and AF never paid to use the Plus BA aren’t going to either. The fact the site has been updated to reopen and only mentions kids in the lounge at Emirates times says to me BA won’t be using it
Why wouldn't BA use it? Someone (on here I'm sure ) recently said that they'd been told by a lounge employee that BA would be using it soon. We are actually using the plus side currently (in the well documented half ***** way) and have been for some time, so it would be a bit of a bad move to say that you can't use it now it's fully open. That would surely pee BA status and CE regulars off no end. Time will tell.
Mater and Radiation Station like this.
northeastflyer is offline  
Old Jul 30, 22, 1:22 pm
  #322  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 37
We travel next Sunday, so I'll report back then. Hopefully we are in there 🤞
Mater is offline  
Old Jul 30, 22, 1:32 pm
  #323  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by northeastflyer View Post
Why wouldn't BA use it? Someone (on here I'm sure ) recently said that they'd been told by a lounge employee that BA would be using it soon. We are actually using the plus side currently (in the well documented half ***** way) and have been for some time, so it would be a bit of a bad move to say that you can't use it now it's fully open. That would surely pee BA status and CE regulars off no end. Time will tell.
The simple answer…money!
Mater likes this.
StuMcGrew is online now  
Old Jul 30, 22, 1:34 pm
  #324  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 109
Originally Posted by northeastflyer View Post
Why wouldn't BA use it? Someone (on here I'm sure ) recently said that they'd been told by a lounge employee that BA would be using it soon. We are actually using the plus side currently (in the well documented half ***** way) and have been for some time, so it would be a bit of a bad move to say that you can't use it now it's fully open. That would surely pee BA status and CE regulars off no end. Time will tell.
In common with other domestic destinations, BA have shown nothing but contempt towards NCL in recent times. From up to 6 daily flights originally, the schedule has been chiselled away so on some days this summer the only survivor is the night stopper.

The current unacceptable lounge provision, which can only be described as a dark and hideous cave, is fairly irrelevant if the NCL schedule remains as grim as it is this summer.
Mater and Radiation Station like this.
G_CIVV is online now  
Old Jul 30, 22, 1:38 pm
  #325  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by G_CIVV View Post
In common with other domestic destinations, BA have shown nothing but contempt towards NCL in recent times. From up to 6 daily flights originally, the schedule has been chiselled away so on some days this summer the only survivor is the night stopper.

The current unacceptable lounge provision, which can only be described as a dark and hideous cave, is fairly irrelevant if the NCL schedule remains as grim as it is this summer.
Which is horrendous behaviour considering the large workforce they have around 10 minutes down the road from the airport.
Radiation Station likes this.
StuMcGrew is online now  
Old Jul 30, 22, 2:23 pm
  #326  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newcastle UK
Posts: 1,061
Originally Posted by Mater View Post
We travel next Sunday, so I'll report back then. Hopefully we are in there 🤞
In there AND the facilities open hopefully!
Mater likes this.
northeastflyer is offline  
Old Jul 30, 22, 2:26 pm
  #327  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newcastle UK
Posts: 1,061
Originally Posted by StuMcGrew View Post
Which is horrendous behaviour considering the large workforce they have around 10 minutes down the road from the airport.
While I agree that the lounge provision in its current form is abysmal, I don't think the BA call centre and IT office in the city has any relevance really, in my opinion.
northeastflyer is offline  
Old Jul 30, 22, 4:14 pm
  #328  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by northeastflyer View Post
While I agree that the lounge provision in its current form is abysmal, I don't think the BA call centre and IT office in the city has any relevance really, in my opinion.
I was more on about the schedules, I know people who used to work for BA and used to use the flights to ‘commute’.
StuMcGrew is online now  
Old Aug 5, 22, 7:26 am
  #329  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 5
Flying down this afternoon and J passengers were directed to Plus side but “frequent flyers” in the standard lounge. I actually don’t mind it in here and must be the fifth time I’ve been in now.
Mater likes this.
Weatherman39 is offline  
Old Aug 5, 22, 9:07 am
  #330  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 21
I noticed on the Plus opening times it doesn’t actually open until 9am so probably bad news for the night stopper flight
StuMcGrew is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread