Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes, I think despite the twitter thing the main complaint really is that the lounge is not big enough to handle all the airline passengers who get access based on cabin/status and all those with PP or paying.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
From my point of view it's not really the numbers of people, I've always been able to find a seat and table, though sometimes you can't be too picky about where you want to sit. No, my complaint is that the lounge simply is not as nice as the BA lounge. What's more in theory it's on the same par as the BHD Aspire lounge, which is vastly better than NCL, amazing what a bit of natural light can do. And that's what the Plus lounge does provide.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by AleTrail
Im waiting for the 15:30 NCL-LHR in the Perspire Lounge now. Its rammed but staff are doing their best. One of the ladys clearing the tables offered to bypass the 20 min bar queue for us and deliver 2 glasses of wine to our table.
The Plus bit is an overspill today so plenty of bucket and spade flights using it.
The couple next us on way to Turkey on Jet2 advised doubling up your drinks order to avoid lining up. Their table glassware was evidence of this strategy working well.

Im travelling economy, lounge access via GC. Anyone paying F or J would rightly be miffed at this lounge offering today.
If they opened the fridges in the plus section it would help with the bar queues. I'm not sure how this place is going to cope once they start selling plus again as an upgrade over the regular lounge.
KARFA and Radiation Station like this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by layz
If they opened the fridges in the plus section it would help with the bar queues. I'm not sure how this place is going to cope once they start selling plus again as an upgrade over the regular lounge.
Putting aside the fact that you cant even get any food in Plus, I do find it very silly and inefficient that I have to wander across to the main lounge to get a Diet Pepsi when they could just stock the fridges and open them. They could even have a soft drinks only fridge policy to save people having to queue at the bar next door for a non alcoholic beverage.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
From my point of view it's not really the numbers of people, I've always been able to find a seat and table, though sometimes you can't be too picky about where you want to sit. No, my complaint is that the lounge simply is not as nice as the BA lounge. What's more in theory it's on the same par as the BHD Aspire lounge, which is vastly better than NCL, amazing what a bit of natural light can do. And that's what the Plus lounge does provide.
I never had the fortune of using the BA lounge before it closed (RIP) but I agree that Aspire is a dreary, dingy place. It reminds me of windowless offices that just sap your energy.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, Cartafreccia Oro
When I moved to Bologna I liked the pre-COVID frequency of services where the BLQ flights and NCL flights generally connected with decent flight times. Also NCL having a BA lounge gave it advantage over KLM which was the other option. But BA remove their competitive advantage at NCL and move BLQ to T3 so no longer have the seamless domestic to int T5 connections. Once AMS sort out their issues itll be worth giving KLM a try - thanks to ITA Airways for a SkyTeam status match!

I understand what Paul is saying on Twitter but I disagree. As well as the BA flights (can be up to 6 a day), theres the codeshares by EI and LM which gold members were entitled to use a BA lounge if they booked under the BA code.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:58 am

is this thread still going?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Ive never had good experiences when visiting UK pay-to-enter lounges, either with airline status or flying J/F. Far too many pax off to the Med and determined to drink double their entry price. Such pax also available at other destinations 😁
BA1321 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:09 am

Both sides of the Aspire Lounge are super busy this afternoon, which is likely because of the extra domestic flights put on because of the rain strikes. Directed to the Plus side as BA Gold flying Y. Theres a sign on the front desk saying the lounge is full, but there was no attempt to rebuff us. Very hard to find anywhere to sit on either side, let alone seats where you arent making new friends. I really think BA need to consider their plans for lounges at Newcastle long term, especially as you cant even get food or drink on the Plus side and there are often big queues on the other side.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
...because of the rain strikes
As a resident of Newcastle this is a strike I STRONGLY applaud.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:13 pm

We went in on Saturday morning. The lounge was packed and felt very dark and dreary. No milk in the coffee machine. We filled our water bottles and left after 10 minutes for a wander round the airport. We ended up sat at one of the end gates (Gate 25, possibly the Emirates gate). It was the most peaceful place in the airport and also had a good view. We’ll try the lounge again next month to see if it’s any better when less busy. Overall we found Newcastle airport to be quite dirty and in need of a good hoover. Quite sad really.
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Is the lounge now open all day? The website indicates it closes at 5.30pm on a day that I'm due to fly on BA1337 at 8.30pm. Will I be slumming it in the terminal?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:33 pm

“Slumming it in the terminal” will be infinitely better than the hideous cave that “aspires” to be an acceptable lounge.

It really is a horrendous space and impossible to relax in. The staff are willing and hard working but the whole thing needs to be stripped out and started again.
trvllvr123 and crazyanglaisy like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Is the lounge now open all day? The website indicates it closes at 5.30pm on a day that I'm due to fly on BA1337 at 8.30pm. Will I be slumming it in the terminal?
The timetable does change regularly, so are best to check on the Aspire website for your day (see you can make a dummy booking). It's heavily led by their biggest customer, which is Emirates, who depart around 21:00 hrs, so that's great for the BA services, but EK don't fly on Tuesdays and Thursdays (it used to be a day time, lunch time, 7 day week service). So I'm guessing you are flying on a Tuesday or Thursday.
crazyanglaisy likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
I do wonder if NCL is still going ahead with "Luxury Lounge" that was announced in 2019 - "A brand-new luxury lounge will soon be under construction at Newcastle International Airport.

"The Airport’s new premium lounge will boast high-end hospitality and fantastic views of the runway – and is set to open in time for summer 2020."

https://www.newcastleairport.com/new...0summer%202020.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.