Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently

Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Unless things have changed I don't believe Aspire Plus has re-opened yet, and in any case I can't see BA paying for it even if it were.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
Yes club and silver/gold get to sample the delights of the aspire lounge, such as they are. Hot breakfast mind. Aspire plus closed last time I was there, and strange opening hours for aspire. Ncl really needs a better lounge for ba pax
Old Oct 29, 2021, 3:31 pm

I'll be a little more blunt than I usually am on here. In my opinion the now closed BA lounge at NCL was the favourite part of my trips, as I live in NCL. Now after visiting Aspire I'm considering staying in the main terminal until boarding. Despite the very good staff, it's just no good. I don't understand why anyone would pay either if required. BA should listen, but unfortunately, increasingly they seem not to. Very sad.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
I'll be a little more blunt than I usually am on here. In my opinion the now closed BA lounge at NCL was the favourite part of my trips, as I live in NCL. Now after visiting Aspire I'm considering staying in the main terminal until boarding. Despite the very good staff, it's just no good. I don't understand why anyone would pay either if required. BA should listen, but unfortunately, increasingly they seem not to. Very sad.
That was the crux of my question really, Aspire plus was ok last time I was there but I'll hang around upstairs this time.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
What is so different about the offering of the Aspire Lounge that makes it so undesirable when compared to the now closed BA Lounge?
Old Oct 30, 2021, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
Freepour spirits and daylight mainly for me. I’d probably stay upstairs more now, rather than sit in there. You could also see the boarding gate area and quickly finish your drink just as the queue had gone down. Club has been full the last few times I’ve gone from there. In the summer,aspire is going to be rammed so BA really have to do something else
Brighterside likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
What is so different about the offering of the Aspire Lounge that makes it so undesirable when compared to the now closed BA Lounge?
It is not a pleasant lounge - dingy, often overcrowded and simply not an enjoyable space to spend time in. It reminds me of the awful Concord Bunker in SIN. Closing the original lounge showed BAs lack of commitment to NCL, and I cant see the number of daily rotations (currently 3) ever returning to Pre-Covid levels (5)
Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
While many of us would love to be back in the BA lounge, at least on afternoon departures we won't be left to sit it out in the terminal.

Newcastle Airport have posted on Facebook today that Aspire opening hours are being extended.

From Monday, opening hours will be:
Monday: 0400-2000
Tuesday: 0400-1730
Wednesday: 0400-2000
Thursday: 0400-1730
Friday: 0400-2000
Saturday: 0400-1300
Sunday: 0400-2000
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:35 pm

Have you personally visited either lounge?
To answer your question though, there is no comparison. Others have since covered most of it, but here's my views on it.

1. No windows. No view. Very dingy.

2. Dark bland brown looking lounge.

3. Very poor choice of alcohol.

4. The old lounge was immediately at the usual
boaring gate.

As I've stated previously I'll probably not go into the lounge on my next trips. I'd rather stay in the main terminal.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
The staff at the BA NCL for one thing. I visited mayBe 3 or 4 times a year and it was my most frequented lounge outside of Heathrow. I was warmly welcomed back each time and a champagne brought to me. Almost as soon as I sat down. I was made to feel like a family member and the more frequent travellers were also welcomed back. You could see down the jetway when boarding had started and from lounge to gate was 30 seconds away if that. After a 5 hour delay and we were told we were being coached to Teeside we were ask3d if we wanted some sandwiches, fruit, biscuits and cheese wrapped and invited to take cans from the fridges and takeaway cups provided fro drinks not in cans.

Sadly one of the fabulous staff died at Christmas a few years ago and it really did rip a big hole in the users from both regular passengers and staff alike.

Plus you werent ever turned away arriving 5 hours before your flight

Even though the staff worked for Baxter Storey they were proud of the NCL.BA lounge and all went out of their way to make peoples visits there enjoyable and comfortable.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 8:57 pm

Has anyone had any experience of using the Samson Executive Jet terminal at NCL? Is this something you can buy into when flying scheduled or is it reserved exclusively for the private jet set?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Even though the staff worked for Baxter Storey they were proud of the NCL.BA lounge and all went out of their way to make peoples visits there enjoyable and comfortable.
I feel that's true about most of the staff at LHR, even more so in the rare times I managed to get into the CCR!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by S_W_S
Unless things have changed I don't believe Aspire Plus has re-opened yet, and in any case I can't see BA paying for it even if it were.
Aspire Plus was open yesterday evening, presumably for the Emirates departure. I was arriving so don't know if BA passengers will get access, or what the opening hours are.
Brighterside likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Just in the Aspire lounge now ahead of my flight down to LHR. Theres no longer any complimentary Prosecco, even for BA passengers. Apparently there was a change in policy a month ago.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 2:59 am

After my experiences the only reason I'll be using it is to get a quiet seat and a comfort break!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.