Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can EDI check in demand photo ID for a domestic flight?

Old Sep 6, 20, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador

Not for the first time I had some serious attitude during check in today. Wouldn't accept my bag despite showing the boarding pass on the app unless I produced my passport. Fortunately I had it from a previous trip on me.
If I had used self check in there would be no human interaction so what the heck is going on?
*rant over*.
Old Sep 6, 20, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Stena Gold
IIRC, you have always needed photo ID to check a bag, even on a domestic
Old Sep 6, 20, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have been asked for photo id on a BA domestic before ( this from LHR) but my physical BA Exec Club card was accepted instead.

Regards

TBS
ReadystEDIgo likes this.
Old Sep 6, 20, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
From BA.com...

At checkin though, they have always been satisfied by a physical Executive Club card.
Old Sep 6, 20, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
She trotted out the usual health and safety guff which really raised my blood pressure! LHR were perfectly happy with my EC on the app. Also made a point of no priority boarding when she got to the gate. Thanks for the responses so far.
volar likes this.
Old Sep 6, 20, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by ElegantMess View Post
She trotted out the usual health and safety guff which really raised my blood pressure! LHR were perfectly happy with my EC on the app. Also made a point of no priority boarding when she got to the gate. Thanks for the responses so far.
Hi,

Also these days , there is no priorty boarding on short haul ( don't know about long haul). As one of the covid protection measures , BA now boards by rows from back to front ( in groups of 5 to 10 rows) so club europe will board last but if you have status in Y you will board with the rows. Disembarkcation will be from front to back by rows.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 6, 20, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Also made a point of no priority boarding when she got to the gate.
Priority/group boarding is currently suspended, with boarding being by group of rows from the rear of the aircraft to the front to minimise passengers walking past other passengers. The only exception is First where priority boarding is offered if boarding is via Door 2L or more than one airbridge.
Old Sep 6, 20, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
Priority/group boarding is currently suspended, with boarding being by group of rows from the rear of the aircraft to the front to minimise passengers walking past other passengers. The only exception is First where priority boarding is offered if boarding is via Door 2L or more than one airbridge.
But it's okay to sit next to a complete stranger for 2 hours ?

Wheres the logic in that !!
Silver Fox and skipness1E like this.
Old Sep 6, 20, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Butts View Post
There's very little of that, although you could say sitting next to a few passengers is not the same as having a whole aircraft's worth stream past/queue next to you. It's the same metal tube once all's said and done.
Stormbel, Silver Fox and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Sep 6, 20, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Butts View Post
But it's okay to sit next to a complete stranger for 2 hours ?

No, it is not "okay." Okay is not to fly commercial right now or to use any form of transport which does not (cannot) employ social distancing.

But, if one must fly, it is less risky to sit next to one stranger than to interact with 100+ people merely because of a minimal convenience associated with status.

It is all about risk tolerance and not absolute safety.
lukew, mrow, Kgmm77 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 20, 8:35 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Not for the first time I had some serious attitude during check in today.....
From you or the check-in agent? 😉
ajamieson, stewardo, mrow and 9 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 20, 8:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius View Post
IIRC, you have always needed photo ID to check a bag, even on a domestic
Yes, this is the relevant rule here.

Without checked bags, it's down to airline policy; I think BA is one of the few still accepting customer profile (ie gold card) in lieu of passport/ID card/driving licence for domestics so most people carry them anyway.
Old Sep 6, 20, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
Yes, this is the relevant rule here.

Without checked bags, it's down to airline policy; I think BA is one of the few still accepting customer profile (ie gold card) in lieu of passport/ID card/driving licence for domestics so most people carry them anyway.
Does that differ from the rule that someone posted the screenscrape of? The screenscrape doesn't seem like much of a rule when they say "advise". If would be nice to see a definitive rule one way or the other.
Old Sep 6, 20, 8:48 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I must be stupid. I do not see the issue. I always carry photo ID. I would expect to show it on request.
mrow, navylad and Barrheadlass like this.
Old Sep 6, 20, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
The screengrab does not refer to checked baggage, and thus it is correct - you don't need photo ID for a domestic flight on British Airways per airline policy. The reason they "advise" you carry photo ID is because it saves hassle dealing with employees unfamiliar with the policy (especially since BA is, as I said, one of the very few that don't mandate it in the first place). A good example is NQY, where they still insist on photo ID for all BA pax despite being told, more than once, that this is not BA's policy. Life's too short to argue with dimwits wearing lanyards.
1Aturnleft likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: