BA Cancelling a Reward Flight

Old Sep 5, 20, 8:50 am
Original Poster

BA Cancelling a Reward Flight

I have a booking, 2-4-1 Amex voucher in F, MAN-LHR-HKG 28th Sep-4th Oct cancelled by BA last month.

Historically when BA canceled my reward flight, as per regulations the recourse (refund, immediate reroute or reroute at convenient date) was processed without issue. This has happened to me twice in the past, both cancellations with 14 days notice and I opted for reroute at a much later date at my convenience. As per regs, all that is needed is a free seat in the same cabin - this is NOT subject to reward availability rules.

However, this time BA point blank refuse to reroute my itinerary to June 2021 citing no reward availability in F. They are citing that rerouting without reward restrictions is limited to 14 days of original booking. News to me and can’t find this “rule” published anywhere! Pointed this out to the BA twitter team who are having none of it, telling me refund is only option etc.

Before I call them to resolve, any one else had this or can shed additional light? Will be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 5, 20, 8:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Hi. Welcome to FT

Have a look at this post, it is still current. For a reward if the cancellation reason is due to coronavirus you can rebook at anytime during ticket validity (a year from when you originally booked) without reward availability.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32579078-post3320.html
Old Sep 5, 20, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
I suspect the OP booked well before June 2020 ruling out the rebook without availability policy.

Lots more details in the main cancellations thread

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Old Sep 5, 20, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks for replies. Quite correct, an original booking was made in Oct 2019 to MAN-LHR-BOS for Jun 2020. I took FTV for this is April.

On 16th Jun 2020 I used the FTV towards a new booking to HKG in Sep 2020, with extra Avios and tax difference paid. New booking ref generated.

Purely coincidentally I have asked to reroute 15th Jun 2021 (so a day within the 1 yr rule). My view is it is a new booking made 16th Jun 2020 so the 1 year reroute without need for reward availability should apply?
Old Sep 12, 20, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Update - after wrangling with the twitter team called BA. As my booking using a FTV was made in June, BA confirmed I had until June 2021 to rebook without need for reward availability. I have settled on dates in May 2021. Fair result in the end but BA didn’t half make it difficult!
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:22 am

I have a 2-4-1 flight (YVR to LHR) (that I booked last year) with BA that they have now canceled.

Can someone please explain my options (or direct me to where I should look)? Ideally, I would like my voucher back and a refund of points used and money paid.

I apologize if this has been asked before. However, it is really hard for me to search through this sight, no pun intended (I have just had eye surgery).

Thanks to all.
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Welcome to FlyerTalk Radtel

The main discussion thread for refunds is here: Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

There is a lot of information in there, but in short you have 2 main options available to you:

1) Full refund of 2-4-1 voucher, the Avios and all cash (taxes, fees etc). Since BA cancelled the flight you do not have to pay the normal service charge for changing an Avios flight. When the 2-4-1 voucher is returned to you, it should have 6 months added onto the previous expiry date if it was not already extended before you used it.

2) Take a Future Travel Voucher (FTV). This wraps up your 2-4-1 voucher, Avios and cash into a voucher that may be deployed against a future Avios booking. In general this is inferior to option 1) in every way except that it will extend the voucher validity until Apr 2022, so depending on your individual situation may be preferable.

Hope that helps.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
To add here, BA Twitter team seem rather weak in their knowledge. Almost always quote me hundreds of pounds for upgrades that are a few quid or just the avios when calling. If anything like this crops up, I find a quick call to UK call centre usually more effective.
Old Oct 10, 20, 7:50 am

Answer to my question

Originally Posted by Radtel View Post
I have a 2-4-1 flight (YVR to LHR) (that I booked last year) with BA that they have now canceled.

Can someone please explain my options (or direct me to where I should look)? Ideally, I would like my voucher back and a refund of points used and money paid.

I apologize if this has been asked before. However, it is really hard for me to search through this sight, no pun intended (I have just had eye surgery).

Thanks to all.
Hi All

I finally called BA in Manchester (this seems to always get proper action). Why the Canadian number just gets redirected to somewhere that cannot help you, I do not know.

They kindly returned my voucher and refunded all moneys and points that I had spent on this flight. Unfortunately, the refund goes to my credit card and now I have more credit then I would usually use in a few prepandemic months.
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 20, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Radtel View Post
Unfortunately, the refund goes to my credit card and now I have more credit then I would usually use in a few prepandemic months.
In the UK, credit card companies will refund a credit balance to your bank account. If you're using a Canadian credit card, the rules might be different - but a refund might be worth asking about.
Old Nov 13, 20, 10:49 am

Hi all

Following today's news, I'm tempted to use a companion voucher and avios to book a reward flight to Dubai for December. Obviously there is a good chance we may not be able to go, so my question is, can one still cancel a reward flight and get the Avios and voucher back, with fully flexible terms like we used to be able to? Or do they now force you to take an FTV unless the flight is cancelled? I note on a European reward flight I have booked for next summer, the cancellation just takes you straight to the FTV form, but I'm hoping if I were to call BA I'd be able to cancel in the usual way and just get the Avios, voucher and tax back (less whatever the fee is).

Thanks and have a nice weekend.
Old Nov 13, 20, 10:52 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Joshm300 View Post
Hi all

Following today's news, I'm tempted to use a companion voucher and avios to book a reward flight to Dubai for December. Obviously there is a good chance we may not be able to go, so my question is, can one still cancel a reward flight and get the Avios and voucher back, with fully flexible terms like we used to be able to? Or do they now force you to take an FTV unless the flight is cancelled? I note on a European reward flight I have booked for next summer, the cancellation just takes you straight to the FTV form, but I'm hoping if I were to call BA I'd be able to cancel in the usual way and just get the Avios, voucher and tax back (less whatever the fee is).

Thanks and have a nice weekend.
Yes, you can still get a refund as per normal, i.e. Avios, taxes and voucher returned minus the usual service fee if you are not exempt.

You just have to call up to do it.
Joshm300 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: