Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Earning TPs to maintain status in difficult times

Old Sep 4, 20, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards

Interested to know what people are doing to retain status over the next year but minimising risk of losing money and avoiding outright TPruns. Healthwise we don't mind LH travel but we do see danger in booking flights and hotels separately with low loads leading to potential last minute cancellations leaving us on the hook for hotel bookings.

For Mrs firstlight and me (gold - August renewal and silver - September) we have booked a long haul getaway via BA hols in PE with some UUAs, converted an exisitng avios J long haul booking to cash for one of us and booked a far-east BA holiday but flying in J using Qatar via Doha to score 560 TPs (looking forward to trying Qsuites).

all of which have been done under the 'book with confidence' banner with information from people on here that the TPs from cancelled flights seem to be counted in the event of a shortfall of TPs. With a couple of existing short haul bookings under our belt by our sums (reduced TPs to gold and std TPs to Silver) that gets us there.
Old Sep 4, 20, 10:50 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Nothing.... The membership extension made that possible
firstlight and The_Editor like this.
Old Sep 4, 20, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CT-UK View Post
Nothing.... The membership extension made that possible
Lucky you :-) , for those of us who retained status through our own efforts we were left to swing by BA.
cosmo74, Tocsin, TOTH2015 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 20, 11:13 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by firstlight View Post
Lucky you :-) , for those of us who retained status through our own efforts we were left to swing by BA.
I also retained status through my own efforts as I have done for years.
Old Sep 4, 20, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CT-UK View Post
I also retained status through my own efforts as I have done for years.
Glad to hear it, but it's a lottery and the extension depends on your earning end of year date
Tocsin likes this.
Old Sep 4, 20, 11:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Not really a lottery as such. Everyone has got an extension, itís just some of us (me included) had already requalified so no real benefit. Everyone does benefit from reduced thresholds tho.

The issue seems to be more the way BA suggested in the email that we would all benefit from an extra. In a literal sense this is true, but I think any reasonable reading of the email would suggest even those who requalify should get an extra year on top. Certainly a poorly written email.
Old Sep 4, 20, 11:35 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Travel is not that pleasant at present, and BAís product leaves a lot to be desired. Iím fine staying home for now - that doesnít mean I donít miss jetting off.
mrow, Kgmm77, danboy767 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 20, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Not really a lottery as such. Everyone has got an extension, itís just some of us (me included) had already requalified so no real benefit. Everyone does benefit from reduced thresholds tho.

The issue seems to be more the way BA suggested in the email that we would all benefit from an extra. In a literal sense this is true, but I think any reasonable reading of the email would suggest even those who requalify should get an extra year on top. Certainly a poorly written email.
Well yes, and to clarify these TPs are enough to take us to late 2022 when hopefully life will be back to nearer normal!
Old Sep 4, 20, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Fortunately I don't need to think about it until Feb next year, at which point I need to decide whether to a). Stay with BA and B). Whether to bother chasing status at all.

I'll likely try and offload all the vouchers I have on a TP run to start the ball rolling, however a lot depends on what our corporate travel looks like. Back in May we were saying back to normal next year, now I'm not so sure there will be much business travel in at least the first half of 2021.
Old Sep 4, 20, 1:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I'm not doing anything other than what's required for work and essential personal travel. Gold for life helps and I was fortunate (unlike some others) with the CCR/GGL extension to July 2022.
Old Sep 4, 20, 1:44 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hilton/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by firstlight View Post
Oh I love a feisty post.

Anyway, in order to get an extension you had to have qualified in the first place. So I guess there is effort on all sides.

TBF, no one needs to push for TP with the extension in place.
Old Sep 5, 20, 12:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by PGberkshire View Post
Oh I love a feisty post.

Anyway, in order to get an extension you had to have qualified in the first place. So I guess there is effort on all sides.

TBF, no one needs to push for TP with the extension in place.
Except, perhaps, those who did not get the extension?
cosmo74 and Tocsin like this.
Old Sep 5, 20, 1:26 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PGberkshire View Post
....TBF, no one needs to push for TP with the extension in place.
Well Iíd disagree with that.
I didnít benefit from the so called Ďextensioní as Iíd requalified already for my July TP year end, and Iím now in my third month of having to requalify this year with the grand total of 0TP earned so far.
Old Sep 5, 20, 2:49 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hilton/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Except, perhaps, those who did not get the extension?
oh thatís a shame.

I am covered until Oct 2022. Let the relaxed gloating start.
Old Sep 5, 20, 3:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
yes as a lowly non-extended to year 2050 GGL, i have managed to snag some great premium fares in the spring to the US. my trip to the states in november was cancelled because my parents basically didnt want me coming back when things are so dire...but i am hopeful the US covid situation improves by spring but in any instance i have booked a LHR-LAX in F, and a SOF-SFO in F and JMK-SFO in F and aside from the first LHR-LAX flight, all others are taking advantage of creative bookings to enjoy up to 7 legs on one itin to max my TP and also, frankly, to hopefully enjoy the premium experience again after which it will have been much too long without longhaul by the time i step on the first flight in march.

so yes, these three flights as booked get me to ~1900TP with the remainder coming here on shorthaul and a few US transcon F flights on AA.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: