FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Best lounges ex West Coast USA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2024496-best-lounges-ex-west-coast-usa.html)

andymcdonnell Sep 4, 2020 3:45 am

Best lounges ex West Coast USA

Assuming things are back to normal, Im planning a US west coast trip for next summer in F. We’ll be visiting a few cities so can finish in any of SFO, LAS, SEA or PHX. Which of those offer the best lounge? I could also come back via DFW

flyertalker28120 Sep 4, 2020 3:47 am

You mean OW or in general? I think the Polaris lounges are probably best, the Amex Centurions are nice, too. OW-wise, I'm thinking AA Flagship or (if you got access) Flagship First lounges..

mikeyfly Sep 4, 2020 3:56 am

Most would agree the Qantas International First lounge at LAX

Lots of lounge info in the main North America West coast thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28119426-post8.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...h-america.html

The _Banking_Scot Sep 4, 2020 4:07 am

Hi.

Another vote for the lax qantas f lounge.

The centurion amex lounges are good business class lounges. I think Phx is getting new lounges ie amex and aspire? As the ba phx lounge closed some years ago.

Regards

Tbs

corporate-wage-slave Sep 4, 2020 4:08 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell (Post 32651440)
Assuming things are back to normal, Im planning a US west coast trip for next summer in F. We’ll be visiting a few cities so can finish in any of SFO, LAS, SEA or PHX. Which of those offer the best lounge? I could also come back via DFW

Answering the question as posed and assuming it is oneworld, without using Amex or Priority Pass, it's probably SFO, less than overwhemingly. I would rank this as SFO, DFW, PHX, SEA, LAS in that order. However realistically by next summer I think we will be in a very different space to where we were in 2019, so this is cystal ball ultra stuff really.

andymcdonnell Sep 4, 2020 4:12 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32651463)
Answering the question as posed and assuming it is oneworld, without using Amex or Priority Pass, it's probably SFO, less than overwhemingly. I would rank this as SFO, DFW, PHX, SEA, LAS in that order. However realistically by next summer I think we will be in a very different space to where we were in 2019, so this is cystal ball ultra stuff really.

Sorry yes I meant oneworld as I’ll be flying BA. LAX isn’t an option, it’s significantly more expensive than the other cities I mentioned. Fully agree though, this is all a bit “who knows” at the moment

VSLover Sep 4, 2020 4:24 am

agree with CWS.

overall SFO is always a pleasant experience. the airport is never truly crowded, the BA staff are some of the best and most friendly. while the lounge has had a refresh, and much nicer, it can get a bit crowded.

DFW has the flagship dining and great and large lounge if in terminal D (which is also where the amex lounge is).

lhrsfo Sep 4, 2020 7:40 am

Agree re SFO for BA but not a patch on the UA Polaris lounge.

Tobias-UK Sep 4, 2020 7:58 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32651463)

Yes, I think your table ranks the lounges well, LAS without doubt is the worst offering on that list. It’s often overcrowded and offers very limited food options. It’s one of the few airports where I generally prefer to wait at the gate and avoid the lounge altogether.

Truthmonkey Sep 5, 2020 6:03 am

Noting that you aren't considering LAX, then yes it's SFO by a small margin. It's definitely not LAS.

alex67500 Sep 7, 2020 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 32651817)
Yes, I think your table ranks the lounges well, LAS without doubt is the worst offering on that list. It’s often overcrowded and offers very limited food options. It’s one of the few airports where I generally prefer to wait at the gate and avoid the lounge altogether.

I was in there for about 45 minutes last year and then walked past a Centurion lounge on the way to the gate... I remember feeling quite bad about myself for not checking.

Steve_ZA Sep 7, 2020 6:05 am

I've visited LAS for a few years now but always had a domestic flight out and used the Centurion lounge. A year or so ago, and going directly back to LHR for the first time, a colleague joined me in the lounge as a guest. She said it was like an overcrowded doctors waiting room and after 20 minutes went for a wander around the terminal instead.

Best avoided especially if you can have an early dinner/drink before arriving at the airport.

Tobias-UK Sep 7, 2020 6:24 am

Originally Posted by alex67500 (Post 32657626)
I was in there for about 45 minutes last year and then walked past a Centurion lounge on the way to the gate... I remember feeling quite bad about myself for not checking.

If you passed the Amex Lounge as you walked to the gate you will have been in Terminal 1 (where AA operates). To provide some clarity for the OP, BA flights leave from Terminal 3 and whilst it is possible to jump on the transit to T1, sometimes the Amex Lounge will be packed too and occasionally they restrict access when it gets too busy. If using the Amex Lounge it's probably best to allow at least 15 minutes for the trip to/from Amex Lounge/T3 Gates.

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA (Post 32657817)
... Best avoided especially if you can have an early dinner/drink before arriving at the airport.

Absolutely, I arrive at T-75 so no queue at check-in :tu:

alex67500 Sep 7, 2020 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 32657841)
If you passed the Amex Lounge as you walked to the gate you will have been in Terminal 1 (where AA operates).

True, I'd forgotten about that, it was BA coded but indeed an AA flight. That lounge was absolutely diabolical.

Genius1 Sep 7, 2020 11:34 am

If you're after the full First experience, SFO has the advantage of offering a newly refurbished BA lounge which includes First Dining - a light early dinner there with a full dinner onboard is a pretty decent combination.