Wiki Posts
Search

BA/AA Sale Fares ex-US

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2020, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze; HHonors Diamond; Amex Platinum
BA/AA Sale Fares ex-US

I'm looking to book some nested J-class flights under the current BA sale, however the pricing on the other half of the bookings originating from the US are proving sub-optimal.

Does BA and/or AA offer similar sale fares ex-USA from time to time like the current offering out of the UK?

MAN-FF
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:14 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by MAN-FF
I'm looking to book some nested J-class flights under the current BA sale, however the pricing on the other half of the bookings originating from the US are proving sub-optimal.

Does BA and/or AA offer similar sale fares ex-USA from time to time like the current offering out of the UK?

MAN-FF
Fares ex-US are normally horrific in comparison to those from Europe. This is across all classes.

Unless COVID-19 has changed things, don’t expect any bargains anytime soon
MAN-FF likes this.

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Sep 3, 2020 at 6:09 am
Old Sep 3, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
agreed. in the last 6 years when i have been going back and forth frequently, i can only recall ONE sale that was cheaper from the US to EU
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Fares ex-US are normally horrific in comparison to those from Europe. This is across all classes.
My experience also. Can someone help me understand why please?

Am sure it's something obvious that I've just missed…
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If you dare to look beyond BA there have been lots of exUS deals recently... keep an eye on the premium fares forum. Recent examples

AM (DL Skyteam) JFK-CDG ~ $1585 (RT) Premier (23.6k MQM 6.3k MQD)

FI: Business class JFK-AMS $1,007.00 RT
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by VSLover
agreed. in the last 6 years when i have been going back and forth frequently, i can only recall ONE sale that was cheaper from the US to EU
If going regularly and your own dime, just nest decent exEU fares?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
If going regularly and your own dime, just nest decent exEU fares?
thats exactly what i ended up doing for the few years before permanently moving to LHR!
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
In my experience as an ex-US traveler, you just have to keep an eye on the routes you're interested in--Google Flights is good for this--and wait to see if BA/AA match SkyTeam or Star Alliance sales. In the absence of a good sale, I generally purchase my tickets 6-12 weeks before my flight, but that strategy probably does not mesh with your desire to do nested trips.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 6:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
It's also quite possible to do reverse ex-EUs from the US and obtain very good prices. Not so viable just at the moment of course.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatExp

The majority of ex-US travelers are happy to pay more for a premium cabin compared to European travelers. This is the main reason.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatExp

1: Tax - Having lived in both the Netherlands and the US, calculating the difference in disposable income is eye-watering

2: Consumer attitudes to spending in general: When your annual property tax bill is $40k, your kids college fees are $, flights move way down the list of top 10 costs.

3: Fewer holidays: Multiple long haul leisure trips a year definitely not the norm!

All adds up to greater spending power/lower price sensitivity for premium travel with the airlines pricing accordingly.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Dambus
1: Tax - Having lived in both the Netherlands and the US, calculating the difference in disposable income is eye-watering

2: Consumer attitudes to spending in general: When your annual property tax bill is $40k, your kids college fees are $, flights move way down the list of top 10 costs.

3: Fewer holidays: Multiple long haul leisure trips a year definitely not the norm!

All adds up to greater spending power/lower price sensitivity for premium travel with the airlines pricing accordingly.
I was going to state a few of these things. Also having no insight into revenue management, it just seems like airlines consider the US as a single entity by which I mean we obviously can avail ourselves of ex-DUB, ex-SOF, ex-MXP whatever sort of fares because those countries have some combination of fewer premium pax, a different economic indicator etc etc all the various reasons we know--but the US is just a mono-bloc it seems when it comes to revenue management.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Dambus
When your annual property tax bill is $40k
For clarity, you'd need an assessed home value of roughly $4m to generate a property tax of $40k per annum. The median house price in the US is $200,000 which would be roughly $2k in property taxes. There will be a tiny percentage of Americans paying property taxes at that level or above.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
For clarity, you'd need an assessed home value of roughly $4m to generate a property tax of $40k per annum. The median house price in the US is $200,000 which would be roughly $2k in property taxes. There will be a tiny percentage of Americans paying property taxes at that level or above.
Not in Illinois unfortunately!

A property with a market value of roughly $1.2m will end up with a property tax bill of $40k
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
Or the NY suburbs - try looking at places like Scarsdale for exceptionally high property taxes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.