Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Transiting thru LHR to AMS from USA. What am I in for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold

i am flying to AMS the end of this month. I am debating whether to fly AA from DFW to AMS direct OR Transit thru LHR. I am a US Citizen. What is it like to Transit thru LHR? do they give passengers from USA a hard time transiting?

I am concerned there will be hassle arriving into LHR from ORD and then transiting. But I could be wrong. I would like to get some real life experience from Flyertalkers....

Thanks much for your help!
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by feysul
i am flying to AMS the end of this month. I am debating whether to fly AA from DFW to AMS direct OR Transit thru LHR. I am a US Citizen. What is it like to Transit thru LHR? do they give passengers from USA a hard time transiting?

I am concerned there will be hassle arriving into LHR from ORD and then transiting. But I could be wrong. I would like to get some real life experience from Flyertalkers....

Thanks much for your help!
there is absolutely no problem with transiting, no one cares tbh.
the quarantine form should be filled in and marked as transit airside 24 hours, though no one at LHR will actually check if you have done that.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Premium Economy BA or AA to LHR?

I am flying to AMS and need to transit thru LHR. I am debating whether to take a BA or AA flight. This is my first INTL flight after COVID. i am not familiar with the PE experience during COVID.

I will be flying from ORD to AMS transiting thru LHR.

If you can also answer... which airline do i have the best chance of upgrading to a Business Class seat during check in? I am a Iberia FF but they are not traveling as much now.

Thanks much!!
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Are you concerned about catering? If so see this thread...

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

If your wanting a difference in hard product then BA have a longer history of Premium (World Traveller Plus) than AA. I don’t see much in the 2 hard products.

BA do offer an upgrade to their biz class (Club World) via 3 main ways... cash upgrade online (website/app, POUG), upgrade with Avios points (UUA) or upgrade at the airport (AUP). Ask at the check-in desk.

It was the case that on the North East America routes, BA flew 747s with J class Heavy config seats and therefore upgrades were a little more generous. However CV19 has dramatically changed all that and so upgrades are more crystal ball but someone like C-W-S would know more on that

Theres more on this...

BA WT+ or AA Premium Economy?

Premium Economy: AA PE vs BA WTP / World Traveller Plus

New World Traveller Plus Amenities - Roll July 1st / Aug 1st 2019
mikeyfly likes this.

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Sep 2, 2020 at 6:23 pm
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I am flying to AMS and need to transit thru LHR. I am debating whether to take a BA or AA flight. This is my first INTL flight after COVID. i am not familiar with the PE experience during COVID.

I will be flying from ORD to AMS transiting thru LHR.

If you can also answer... which airline do i have the best chance of upgrading to a Business Class seat during check in? I am a Iberia FF but they are not traveling as much now.

Thanks much!!
Hard to answer because you don't indicate what you value the most but overall, AA has a much better PE product (nicer Casper blanket and pillow, better quality meals, higher quality amenity kit, and even the seats themselves are more comfortable). In March, I had to book an unexpected trip to get back home right away... PE was the only option available on BA and it was one of my worst experiences: the cabin crew refused to provide any soft beverages other than water, coffee or tea during the second meal service LHR MIA and the aircraft was extremely filthy.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first
Hard to answer because you don't indicate what you value the most but overall, AA has a much better PE product (nicer Casper blanket and pillow, better quality meals, higher quality amenity kit, and even the seats themselves are more comfortable). In March, I had to book an unexpected trip to get back home right away... PE was the only option available on BA and it was one of my worst experiences: the cabin crew refused to provide any soft beverages other than water, coffee or tea during the second meal service LHR MIA and the aircraft was extremely filthy.
thank you for your reply. What’s important to me is the hard product. The seat comfort is paramount. The BA flight that would operate from ORD is a A350. Which is a newer aircraft. Are you familiar with the 350 PE?? Thanks much for your helpful.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 3, 2020 at 1:16 am Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Just as a thought, can you fly KLM nonstop for similar money? Might be easier than a connection.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Just as a thought, can you fly KLM nonstop for similar money? Might be easier than a connection.
i can but I want to do what I can to keep my One World Emerald status. Hence AA or BA.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 10:30 pm

When are you scheduled to fly? Flight loads in general have been so light that I would honestly recommend booking a regular Y seat since you are virtually guaranteed a row to yourself and can lay down. AA is currently offering hot food in all cabins during the main meal service, and I believe BA is still doing cold offerings in all cabins except First.

AA is flying a Dreamliner between ORD-LHR. If you want to remain in PE, the 2-3-2 configuration is going to be more comfortable than the 2-4-2 in WTP on BA's A350. In Y, the experience is comparable with a 3-3-3 in both, with the A350 winning out marginally in terms of having wider seats but once again with empty cabins it's not as big of a concern.

Long story short, catering is better on AA all around, the seating is probably a bit more comfortable in PE on AA and in Y on BA. I would only book PE if the price differential was small and you needed the EQM/TP boost (and even then, on an overnight flight I'd probably ask the FA if there were any rows open in Y and if so, sneak back there to lay down and sleep).
Old Sep 2, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I'd prefer BA's PE seat over American's. Don't expect much on the food front on either right now. AA serving hot food, but seen it's not been the best. In terms of upgrades, im guessing flight loads are low on many routes to US still due to travel restrictions, so any upgrade would have to be using Avios, a POUG or a AUP. The chance of Op ups are 0 unless the flight is oversold in lower classes.
Be aware that upgrading with avios has plenty of availability right now, but from WTP to Club can come with a sizeable increase in carrier surcharges on some routes. You'd be best to call and enquire. You may find that a good value POUG or AUP may be better value. If you're focused on hard product then upgrade makes sense as you can get the flat bed in the club suite on a350. Don't expect much in terms of catering and soft product.

Just one word of warning..if you want the avios option, you'd need to make sure you book your ticket through Ba and have a 125 ticket number. If you have an AA issues ticket on BA metal, you won't be able to do it unless in the highest fare bucket I believe. Others may correct me.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:53 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
We transited LHR ORD-LHR-SPU about 10 days ago.

It was fine. No one looked at us or our dirty filthy blue passports twice.

Only issue we had is that TSA allows larger hand sanitizer containers but LHR security does not so those were confiscated.

The BA lounge (business class perk) was open for breakfast utilizing an app to table deliver service.

More details here: https://readyjetroam.com/flying-from...ring-covid-19/

disclosure: that link leads to an article I wrote on a website that I own.
feysul and aidy like this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime

AA is flying a Dreamliner between ORD-LHR. If you want to remain in PE, the 2-3-2 configuration is going to be more comfortable than the 2-4-2 in WTP on BA's A350. In Y, the experience is comparable with a 3-3-3 in both, with the A350 winning out marginally in terms of having wider seats but once again with empty cabins it's not as big of a concern.

Long story short, catering is better on AA all around, the seating is probably a bit more comfortable in PE on AA and in Y on BA. I would only book PE if the price differential was small and you needed the EQM/TP boost (and even then, on an overnight flight I'd probably ask the FA if there were any rows open in Y and if so, sneak back there to lay down and sleep).
Completely agree and also, the AA PE seats have better lumbar support than BA PE seats.
feysul likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTmex
I'd prefer BA's PE seat over American's. Don't expect much on the food front on either right now. AA serving hot food, but seen it's not been the best. In terms of upgrades, im guessing flight loads are low on many routes to US still due to travel restrictions, so any upgrade would have to be using Avios, a POUG or a AUP. The chance of Op ups are 0 unless the flight is oversold in lower classes.
Be aware that upgrading with avios has plenty of availability right now, but from WTP to Club can come with a sizeable increase in carrier surcharges on some routes. You'd be best to call and enquire. You may find that a good value POUG or AUP may be better value. If you're focused on hard product then upgrade makes sense as you can get the flat bed in the club suite on a350. Don't expect much in terms of catering and soft product.

Just one word of warning..if you want the avios option, you'd need to make sure you book your ticket through Ba and have a 125 ticket number. If you have an AA issues ticket on BA metal, you won't be able to do it unless in the highest fare bucket I believe. Others may correct me.
Thank you for your response. very informative... one question: "I'd prefer BA's PE seat over American's".....are you referring to BA350 vs AA 787 PE seats?

I am wondering if the PE for the A350 better than AA 787.'

"Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Thank you for your response. very informative... one question: "I'd prefer BA's PE seat over American's".....are you referring to BA350 vs AA 787 PE seats?

I am wondering if the PE for the A350 better than AA 787.'

"Thanks
I've not flown the A787, but I believe their seats are the same as on the 777, apologies if not. The BA PE seats I can only speak for the 787 as being nicer. I've not flown the a350 yet.

BW
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Gold, Starwoods Gold
I'm sure the OP has checked, however where it is possible to enter the UK as a US Citizen or US Resident (as the EU ban does not apply to the UK - although 14 day quarantine does), the Netherlands has a entry ban which includes US residents except if a dual US/EU-citizen or exceptional categories.

https://nl.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-3/

https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/tra...he-netherlands

Regarding the upgrade - you can take a look at the BA availability for Business which is the same inventory as PE -> J

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...d-availability

It might be easier to call BA to see if you could just upgrade 1 leg - or do a dummy booking on ba,com as others have advised there will be additional surcharges that might drastically increase the price. If you have the Avois it might be worth just booking the whole thing as a full avois redemption.

Alternatively you could try a upgrade price in MMB or at the airport if available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.