Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A321 Neo thin exit row seat or recaro seat...6'4" and bad back

Old Sep 2, 20, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold

Hi all,

I'm flying to Palermo next week in Y and had an aircraft change to a A321 Neo. I'm currently in exit row 16 seat (with the thinner no reclining Easyjet style seats) but might be able to move forward a few rows to get the standard Recaro seat if the seat map opens up properly. I am 6 foot 4 so leg room is important, but I also have a bad back so uncomfortable seats cause pain. I'm travelling with my partner and have window and aisle reserved in the hope that if full (unlikely) someone would swap rather than take middle.

Would love to hear thoughts on the lesser of the 2 evils - normal seat and less leg room V crap seat and more leg room. I don't think i've ever been on the new thin EZ seat yet.

Many thanks,
Old Sep 2, 20, 5:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's going to be a suck it and see exercise, as it were. The slimline Recaro SL3510 seats are very uncomfortable for some people, it is not at all forgiving, but its firm base may be quite comfortable for someone with a bad back. If you sometimes find it relaxing to lie on the floor during bad back phases, then the seat may actually work for you. Until you try it for yourself, you won't know. As you rightly noted, the seats also have fractionally more leg room, which may help. Being at the back may help you get the spare seat, otherwise perhaps consider a POUG, UuA or AUP for cabin crew administered medicaments.

Note also the risk of equipment change is very high at the moment.
Old Sep 2, 20, 5:34 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Iím 6í 3Ē and would sacrifice exit row for the better seats and a headrest. Those thin seats are uncomfortable and my neck lolls back onto the top of the seat. There are better seats on EasyJet!
muggle and Bohinjska Bistrica like this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I flew on an easyJet A321neo to Greece a few weeks back with said seats in the exit at row 18 and it was fine. Didn't notice it being any less comfortable than the BA A320 with the older style seats on the way back.
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 5:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
There are better seats on EasyJet!
The SL3510 is a mass produced seat, it is identical on easyJet, IAG and quite a few other airlines.
Old Sep 2, 20, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks both. That's very interesting about the headrests/height of the seat - it does look like the slimline seats have less height on them? And I certainly want to be able to rest my head on something. Not keen on a neck rolling back! Especially for 3 hours without 'free' champagne so numb the pain!

Do the normal recaro seats in non exit row have less space on the A321 neo than 'normal' - which I find pretty tight anyway at 6'4" unless i'm in row 1...
Old Sep 2, 20, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The SL3510 is a mass produced seat, it is identical on easyJet, IAG and quite a few other airlines.
Maybe my recent EZY experiences have been on aircraft with older seats then - cloth covered and reasonably comfortable.
Old Sep 2, 20, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by muggle View Post
Do the normal recaro seats in non exit row have less space on the A321 neo than 'normal' - which I find pretty tight anyway at 6'4" unless i'm in row 1...
The Pinnacle seat knee-room spacing on A321s is standard at 23 cms from the edge of the seat to the back of the forward seat (54cm in row 1 to the bulkhead.....) and about 25cm in the SL3510 seats.
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
Maybe my recent EZY experiences have been on aircraft with older seats then - cloth covered and reasonably comfortable.
Yes, easyJet, like BA, have multiple seating rigs out there. I'd say SL3510 is now the majority of the fleet but I haven't checked the numbers in saying that.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 6:08 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hilton/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
Thanks both. That's very interesting about the headrests/height of the seat - it does look like the slimline seats have less height on them? And I certainly want to be able to rest my head on something. Not keen on a neck rolling back! Especially for 3 hours without 'free' champagne so numb the pain!

Don't forget you board from the back and exit from the front. Id want to be as close to the front as possible.
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Good thread for seating queries on this one :

Seating guide: Airbus A321 short haul
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
If youíre flying the negative experience option on a SH+ route, it may well be worthwhile taking a neck pillow. I actually think that the seat base and back rest are fine in their present condition and actually might be better for someone with a dodgy back than a Pinnacle seat. Row 27 gives you a lot of legroom compared to Row 16.

IMO people go a bit overboard with the hate for these seats, but other than cheapness, I really donít know why BA couldnít have procured them with headrests?
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Note also the risk of equipment change is very high at the moment.
I can certainly confirm that. Currently receive an aircraft change alert almost every day for my 21 December booking. A significant number of those are the curtain moving back and forth but if planning to move forward, you (OP) might consider going for the furhest row back with the Pinnacle seat to minimise risk of being booted out of it.
Old Sep 2, 20, 7:24 am

I'm 6'4" too and find a Trtl pillow to be an essential travel tool when flying economy. It works especially well when I'm in a window seat and is surprisingly east to pack in a cabin bag
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 7:39 am

Programs: IHG Gold
My main irritances with these seats are that the arm rests are shorter and the seats themselves also shorter than the Pinnacle seats which is annoying. They are also less comfortable due to the lack of padding - tolerable on a short flight bit wouldn't fancy it much on a IST or LCA.

I did however find they have a bit more support than easyJet's equivalent. Still poor seats though.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: