Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A321 Neo thin exit row seat or recaro seat...6'4" and bad back

A321 Neo thin exit row seat or recaro seat...6'4" and bad back

Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:43 pm

in all honesty if you have a bad back you are really not exit row qualified according to FAA standards. Really I have had to removed people from the exit row that have a cast not their finger...you really should not be saying you can open a door with a bad back you may not be able to perform the functions required of you
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by scorpioev
in all honesty if you have a bad back you are really not exit row qualified according to FAA standards. Really I have had to removed people from the exit row that have a cast not their finger...you really should not be saying you can open a door with a bad back you may not be able to perform the functions required of you
The FAA doesn’t tend to have much clout on a BA intra-Europe flight. I don’t know what the CAA and EASA say on the matter.
Bohinjska Bistrica likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by krispy84
The FAA doesn’t tend to have much clout on a BA intra-Europe flight. I don’t know what the CAA and EASA say on the matter.
There aren’t any requirements to sit in Row 27 on the A321N which has crew sat by both doors.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to clarify, rows 16, 26, and 27 on a A321neo are classed as an emergency exit rows. Should you choose seats in any of those rows BA lists the following conditions you must accept:

Emergency exit seating requirements

You have selected a seat in an emergency exit row. In the unlikely event of an evacuation this passenger will be expected to assist in the opening of the emergency door.

Therefore, they must:
  • be over the age of 12 years
  • be able bodied and fit enough to open and operate an emergency exit door
  • be able to understand instructions given in English
  • not be substantially deaf or blind
  • not be pregnant
The CAA guidance can be found here https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/On-...ng-allocation/

Seats by emergency exits

Some passengers may not be permitted to sit in a seat row next to an emergency exit. This is because if the emergency exit is needed, it is important the exit can be opened and the aircraft evacuated as quickly as possible.

The following passengers are among those who should not be allocated, or directed to, seats by emergency exits:
  • Passengers with physical or mental impairment or disability to the extent that they would have difficulty in moving quickly if asked to do so.
  • Passengers who have significant sight or hearing impairment to the extent that it might be difficult for them to respond to instructions quickly.
  • Passengers who, because of age or sickness, have difficulty in moving quickly.
  • Passengers who, because of physical size, have difficulty in moving quickly.
  • Children (whether accompanied or not) and infants.
  • Passengers travelling with animals, for example assistance dogs.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
  • be able bodied and fit enough to open and operate an emergency exit door
"fit enough" is a pretty subjective term. A "bad back" also covers a multitude of conditions, from a bit of a twinge to spinal surgery, rods, etc. I can imagine it is entirely possible to find that your back or bottom (either from an injury or poor posture) is uncomfortable or sore after sitting on a park bench for four hours, but that would not stop you operating an exit door or impinge your daily activities in any significant way.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:20 am

I’m 6.3” and sat in row 4 on a NEO last night for the first time - It was fine for 2.5 hour flight, with probably 3 hours spent in the seat in total. It is worth noting people at the very back of the plane may spend about 20 mins more in their seats at the moment due to the way boarding and disembarking is handled, so the further forward the better at the moment in my mind.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
"fit enough" is a pretty subjective term. A "bad back" also covers a multitude of conditions, from a bit of a twinge to spinal surgery, rods, etc.
Indeed. But the way it was put to our cohort at the Cranebank training session was that if your back would inhibit you from carrying a 25kg bag of potatoes above your head then you best sit somewhere else. That's what the door on the older jets is like, though it's somewhat less hard work on the newer plastic 'planes.

Originally Posted by Joshm300
I’m 6.3” and sat in row 4 on a NEO last night for the first time - It was fine for 2.5 hour flight, with probably 3 hours spent in the seat in total.
Did it have a headrest? The front of that aircraft should be Pinnacle seating rather than SL3510.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Joshm300
I’m 6.3” and sat in row 4 on a NEO last night for the first time - It was fine for 2.5 hour flight, with probably 3 hours spent in the seat in total. It is worth noting people at the very back of the plane may spend about 20 mins more in their seats at the moment due to the way boarding and disembarking is handled, so the further forward the better at the moment in my mind.
isn't row 4 normal 'old style' seat?
Old Sep 4, 2020, 1:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by muggle
isn't row 4 normal 'old style' seat?
Yes it will be the existing Pinnacle seating in row 4.
muggle likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Work caught up and didn't have a chance to follow up.

In terms of 'fitness' for exit row my back is more of a painful ache if sat down immobile for too long. For example I couldn't do Paddington to Penzance in their 'standard' seat without being pretty damn uncomfortable. It's nothing major but I am someone who likes to be comfy when I have to sit for extended periods. I consider myself fully able to operate a door. Obviously some have back problems that are truly incapacitating.

At the moment the normal old seats in front aren't open so I'll keep an eye. And I will certainly remember to bring my neck pillow! That's a great shout.

As CWS said aircraft changes are likely - so likely that my return leg has gone to a Neo too without me noticing! It's moved us from row 12 (exit row on A320) to row 12 on the A321 Neo - in a block where all other seats are unavailable. I think this is forward enough to be a normal Recaro seat (?) but I'm concerned we have someone stuck in the middle of us now...

Would someone be so kind as to post the expert flyer Y seat map for BA0611 Palermo to LHR 15th September so I can check?

x
Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:22 pm

Thanks all. Work caught up and didn't have a chance to follow up.

In terms of 'fitness' for exit row my back is more of a painful ache if sat down immobile for too long. For example I couldn't do Paddington to Penzance in their 'standard' seat without being pretty damn uncomfortable. It's nothing major but I am someone who likes to be comfy when I have to sit for extended periods. I consider myself fully able to operate a door. Obviously some have back problems that are truly incapacitating.

At the moment the normal old seats in front aren't open so I'll keep an eye. And I will certainly remember to bring my neck pillow! That's a great shout.

As CWS said aircraft changes are likely - so likely that my return leg has gone to a Neo too without me noticing! It's moved us from row 12 (exit row on A320) to row 12 on the A321 Neo - in a block where all other seats are unavailable. I think this is forward enough to be a normal Recaro seat (?) but I'm concerned we have someone stuck in the middle of us now..

x
You seem to be doing a great job of confusing the situation. The Club Europe seats are known as Pinnacle - these are the ones in the front 12 rows of the aircraft that feature the movable headrests and also recline. They are not Recaro seats.

Anything further back from row 12 is a slimline Recaro seat that doesn't recline on the A321neo
Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Sorry - long week. That's helpful and at least row 12 is 'safe' with normal seats unless a curtain move.

If anyone is able to post the expert flyer Y map for BA0611 Palermo to LHR 15th September so I can see if our middle seat is blocked or has an occupant that would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Would someone be so kind as to post the expert flyer Y seat map for BA0611 Palermo to LHR 15th September so I can check?
Here it is, at the moment blocked rather than taken. Obviously Theoretical Seating won't have kicked in yet, but if you are that near the front you would risk someone being in the middle, despite everything people are still keen to sit at the front of the cabin rather than the empty end of the aircraft.

muggle likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:57 pm

On this aircraft what is row 26 like?

I have the option of 11C or 26B, and thought maybe 26B might be better even if it is the slimline seat?
Old Sep 4, 2020, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Voda_boy
On this aircraft what is row 26 like?
It will be the slimline seat, and there are just two seats. If you're a couple that's fine, but it's essentially a middle seat without the benefit of the legroom in row 27. If you are certain 26C won't be taken then I guess it's worth consideration, but if not then you may as well look elsewhere. 11C will be Pinnacle, if you prefer that seat style.
Voda_boy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.