Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why fly BA at the moment in Club, when Swiss offer all of this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why fly BA at the moment in Club, when Swiss offer all of this?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Champagne

I'm very impressed by the choice of Duval-LeRoy champagne. Well done indeed.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Often1
On a broader note, I certainly hope that the LX hot meal was served sealed and not opened as it appears in the photo. A real risk for not much benefit.
I was given the choice as to whether I wanted to open it myself or whether I'd like him to do it. I asked him to do it. I noted when he came back with my meal he had donned a new pair of gloves. He also wore a mask throughout the flight, so I saw little risk.

Originally Posted by YVR guy
I'm very impressed by the choice of Duval-LeRoy champagne. Well done indeed.
It was sooooo good. Three glasses on the first flight. On the second flight, I had two glasses out of the first bottle (and two others had a glass each while one guy had two glasses), and of the second bottle I probably had it all bar the guy before who had multiple glasses who had one more. Delicious stuff - I really enjoyed it!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cvm0093
....on top the new CC that are taking over the skies, modern day people are very awkward especially in Britain compared to before and I think it just reflects in our flag carrier in a nut shell as well the UK is our homebase. On top of the pressure to minimise costs obviously making our flag carrier a laughing stock dosen't help when it's meant to be a legacy airline.

Hey ho that's the world BA just bear the brunt. Money speaks louder sadly!
Good grief what a load of baloney. Modern day people are very awkward in Britain? Our flag carrier - meant to be a legacy airline?
Old Sep 1, 2020, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Also i remember they serve fresh orange juice in C
What do you mean by "fresh orange juice"?
If you think that the cabin crew is squeezing oranges in the galley, you are mistaken.

What LX is serving is just "more expensive" orange juice with pulp. This can be bought in 2 litre canisters.
Stormbel likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
To answer the question from my perspective, I fly BA because LHR is my nearest ‘full service’ airport (I’m excluding SOU) and the convenience of a direct flight will always trump a connection, even if the connection would provide much better F&B.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 1:43 pm

What gets me is the fact the OP wasn't even flying BA in the first place as his EI direct flight was cancelled but thry feel it appropriate to post the comparison here on the BA forum. The only justification might be the choice of airlines when EI cancelled might have been BA via LHR or LX via ZRH but they don't say this. And nor would the EI catering offering been any better than BA Club or LX Business. This is literally comparing apples oranges and I don't find it particularly useful on any level.
Stormbel likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
What gets me is the fact the OP wasn't even flying BA in the first place as his EI direct flight was cancelled but thry feel it appropriate to post the comparison here on the BA forum. The only justification might be the choice of airlines when EI cancelled might have been BA via LHR or LX via ZRH but they don't say this. And nor would the EI catering offering been any better than BA Club or LX Business. This is literally comparing apples oranges and I don't find it particularly useful on any level.
Actually, my outbound flight was DUB-LHR-NCE with BA, then return was NCE-DUB on EI. First up, EI cancelled and then a little later, BA cancelled my flights too. I stick with the IAG ecosystem almost all the time due to location and in this case I had to look for alternatives. I wouldn't have even tried Swiss (or easyJet on the way out for that matter) had my preferred airlines not cancelled services I had already booked and paid for.

I posted it here as I'm a BA Executive Club member and almost exclusively fly BA. I don't even have a frequent flyer card with Star Alliance (despite having flown SAS, Lufthansa J twice and now Swiss J twice) - I'm that into oneworld. Not that I have to justify it for you, but there, I just did.
1P, NoY and lorcancoyle like this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Kestrelflyer Silver, FlyingBlue & Expedia+
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Good grief what a load of baloney. Modern day people are very awkward in Britain? Our flag carrier - meant to be a legacy airline?
Well how else would you explain it? So many 20-30 year olds are so scared to say anything as people take things so personally nowadays without ever wondering what is to enter a discussion. Look at this example now, I'm replying back - someone else would just choose not to as they feel it would be a waste of time or their anxiety would shoot through the roof.

Flew back to LHR a few months ago, asked for a certain newspaper they didn't have it on them, said they would go back to the galley and get one for me. No one came, went myself to the galley to get it same cabin crew saw me and instead of giving it to me they hid while one of the other guys handed it to me :/

Came back in club before covid kicked off, 25 year old working my side of the cabin and was so shy to speak to me as I was a similar age I could barely hear her over the engines, I literally had to tell her to relax I'm just a passenger. yet she served every 45-50+ year old without an issue.

Maybe it's just my bad luck, there is some awkwardness though for sure which I see come through when flying BA maybe I had too many consecutive ones back to back or I should belong in Economy with the rest of my age group.

As for legacy, yes they should be considering they are flying our flag globally. Instead they've gone for the profits route, totally understable in this climate - I'd have more respect for them if BA turned around and clearly upfront went we are not going to be a legacy airline anymore. We're hybrisiding to a low cost operating model for this and that reason and I think people would appreciate that more than trying to be something they are not anymore.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I'm not that into oneworld. Not that I have to justify it for you, but there, I just did.
Actually, it does help if one sets the scene properly, otherwise what happens is assumptions are made and that's never good thing. Thanks but there was really no need to justify anything, you're perfectly able to fly whoever you want. Merely providing all the details for everyone to draw their own concussion would have been sufficient.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Sep 1, 2020 at 5:32 pm
Old Sep 1, 2020, 3:47 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I thought it was perfectly reasonable for the OP to post their LX meal description as a comparison to the current BA offering. I found it quite a revelation. However, I’m unlikely to switch to LX as BAEC keeps me hooked.
mrow likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
My answer to OP's question: Because at least when they cancel my flight BA refund my money in a few days, not keep it for 5 months as Swiss chose to do. Once I'm sure they won't defraud me, I will, of course, give Swiss suitable credit for having better short-haul catering than BA.
1Aturnleft and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
At the moment BA is doing everything within its reach to constrain its cash burn so if you are travelling on BA, a Dunkirk spirit is called upon.
Well if BA is cost cutting, then come clean about it, be frank to passengers... but don't mask it under some COVID "health and safety" pretence! At least then the Dunkirk spirit shall be stronger, particularly from those BAEC captives.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Now that I've dropped to Bronze, but promoted to Star Alliance Gold ( AC 50k) - Swiss is back on the menu for me as a choice when I'm hubbing to Europe. Having flown business to Bangkok on the A340, the food was a delight in both directions. Plenty of it, plenty of choice and good quality. The breakfast almost fooled me when the trolley (a real trolley) with the cold breakfast buffet came round and I thought - "oh - is this it"? When half way through the cold plate , the hot trolley arrived and I realised this was the real biz breakfast. No more "egg" and bacon muffin, with long life Orange Juice for me! And if in doubt, hand out free swiss chocolate before landing or as you get off. (it got me every time) Its great that Lufty, Virgin and Swiss (and I'm sure others) are back to full service which demonstrates there is NO justification for BA to continue to use CoVid as a lame excuse for saving money. In economy, the irony of food and drink being scrapped, moving to BOB, and now back to handing out snacks and water is not lost on me. I'm assuming when service is back to the new normal, the freebies go, and back to BOB. You win some, you lose some!!
'
mrow likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jed
I thought it was perfectly reasonable for the OP to post their LX meal description as a comparison to the current BA offering. I found it quite a revelation. However, I’m unlikely to switch to LX as BAEC keeps me hooked.
The pictures look lovely I agree and the two are definitely miles apart in terms of offering but neither of the sectors taken NCE-ZRH or ZRH-DUB are in comparison with BA - neither sectors are in competition with BA.
We can assume one or both offerings would be comparable to what LX offer in C between ZRH-LHR but we don't know that - that would have been a more apples with apples comparison, that's all. I used to have a leaning for Swiss back when BMI was a Star Alliance member and I held my loyalty there in the Diamond Club. Back then the C offering ZRH-LHR would have been more on par with the NCE-ZRH offering but I couldn't say what it would look like now as it's been so long since I flew Swiss.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
The pictures look lovely I agree and the two are definitely miles apart in terms of offering but neither of the sectors taken NCE-ZRH or ZRH-DUB are in comparison with BA - neither sectors are in competition with BA.
We can assume one or both offerings would be comparable to what LX offer in C between ZRH-LHR but we don't know that - that would have been a more apples with apples comparison, that's all. I used to have a leaning for Swiss back when BMI was a Star Alliance member and I held my loyalty there in the Diamond Club. Back then the C offering ZRH-LHR would have been more on par with the NCE-ZRH offering but I couldn't say what it would look like now as it's been so long since I flew Swiss.
Having done a few LHR-ZRH sectors on LX (always at breakfast time unfortunately due to my schedule) the offering is similar to what is depicted by the OP. For example:

LHR-ZRH LX Breakfast offering
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.