Removing CE Middle Table

Old Aug 31, 20, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Removing CE Middle Table

I am travelling CE with my parents soon. Given the current situation, theyíd prefer if all 3 of us sat in a row together and not have 1 person sitting alone next to a stranger. I know it probably wonít reduce the risk of COVID but if it makes them feel better thatís all that matters.

If the flight is lightly loaded it wonít matter, but if itís full, can we remove the middle table and sit together? The flight isnít on a NEO so there would be a table to remove.

Has anyone experienced this before?
Old Aug 31, 20, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've seen people request this when travelling with toddlers without a seat. The crew can manage the mechanics better than you attempting it.
Old Aug 31, 20, 11:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For toddlers I imagine this will be fine. But I can see some crew members will be reluctant to do this because it mucks up the marketing of CE. But yes, you best ask, they may need help from the flight deck. It doesn't strike me as logical, since people around you -in the row behind - will be nearer. If you are trying to minimise persons per air vent - and if we follow current thinking about aerosol transmission, it would make more sense to have one person across the aisle and the gap between that person and non-family member in the window seat would be greater than someone across the aisle anyway. But with exception of my late grandmother, logic and family members travelling rarely works.

There are only a few European flights which are immune from NEOs, they are getting everywhere on late substitutions.
Pilou and BAeuro like this.
Old Aug 31, 20, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Ag, Ex VS Au, Avis Pres, Enterprise Plat, Ex Marriott Plat, HHonors Ag, Priority Club Au
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
There are only a few European flights which are immune from NEOs, they are getting everywhere on late substitutions.
Is there any technical reason why the table couldnít be retrofitted to the NEOs? Barking decision to remove it imho.
Dover2Golf, groenroos and malcliz like this.
Old Aug 31, 20, 12:20 pm

For toddlers I imagine this will be fine. But I can see some crew members will be reluctant to do this because it mucks up the marketing of CE. But yes, you best ask, they may need help from the flight deck. It doesn't strike me as logical, since people around you -in the row behind - will be nearer. If you are trying to minimise persons per air vent - and if we follow current thinking about aerosol transmission, it would make more sense to have one person across the aisle and the gap between that person and non-family member in the window seat would be greater than someone across the aisle anyway. But with exception of my late grandmother, logic and family members travelling rarely works.

when passengers ask for whatever reason this may be, toddlers, people travelling together or someone wanting to lie flat the Crew should happily oblige. But yes, please ask the crew to remove the table rather than you doing it yourself BAeuro.

if they need help from the Flight Crew to do so then this would worry me slightly. All cabin crew are trained to remove or indeed put the table up should the cleaners forget to do so. If anything I am sure Cabin crew will know better to so than the Flight Crew as they generally donít get involved in cabin seats.
Old Aug 31, 20, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by gliderpilot View Post
Is there any technical reason why the table couldnít be retrofitted to the NEOs? Barking decision to remove it imho.
if I remember rightly from the time, the reason was cost and weight, make of that what you will 🤷‍♂️
Old Aug 31, 20, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Flier74 View Post
if they need help from the Flight Crew to do so then this would worry me slightly. All cabin crew are trained to remove or indeed put the table up should the cleaners forget to do so. If anything I am sure Cabin crew will know better to so than the Flight Crew as they generally donít get involved in cabin seats.
Yes I've seen cabin crew whack the tables away as if was second nature, but equally I can recall one incident when the strapping first officer was summoned. There may have been some other unknown factor involved, I worked out over the years that there are all sorts of reasons why the flight deck may want to have a look at what is going on.....
angeloedades and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Aug 31, 20, 12:54 pm

Yes I've seen cabin crew whack the tables away as if was second nature, but equally I can recall one incident when the strapping first officer was summoned. There may have been some other unknown factor involved, I worked out over the years that there are all sorts of reasons why the flight deck may want to have a look at what is going on.....
well no one minds a strapping FO entering the cabin from time to time thatís for sure....
Old Aug 31, 20, 1:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by Flier74 View Post
if I remember rightly from the time, the reason was cost and weight, make of that what you will 🤷‍♂️
I was informed by a crew member the console table is an added option to the standard Pinnacle seat product but isnít compatible with the power/usb module
Old Aug 31, 20, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by gliderpilot View Post
Is there any technical reason why the table couldn’t be retrofitted to the NEOs? Barking decision to remove it imho.
When folded away the table goes under the seat, but the certified location of Airbus factory fitted power outlets is right where it would be stored.
BA was able to have an alternative location certified for retrofit power, hence the table staying on older aircraft.

So it would be possible to retrofit the table, but would have to move the power.
gliderpilot and volar like this.
Old Aug 31, 20, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
I was informed by a crew member the console table is an added option to the standard Pinnacle seat product but isnít compatible with the power/usb module
I read that too, I think on here. However they seem to have got over the problem on the CEOs which have the same seats, at seat power and still retain the tables.

Edit: JFX1764 has just explained why this is the case!
Old Aug 31, 20, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
oh gosh that is a toughie. i guess i'd take table over power. at least in europe, there are very few routes where i'd need power for that many hours of level flight time whereas that table is one of the best features of CE!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Aug 31, 20, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. Yes, I definitely would ask the crew as it’s not my place to go adjusting the set up myself.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the CE seating layout, but as it’s my parents, I want to make them happy.

As for the route, it’s LHR-NQY, so there’s a 98% chance it’ll be a loose loaded exLGW aircraft. Thus, it may have the old BMI seats in which case it’s probably easier for the crew as they just flip up the table and move in the armrests.
Flier74 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 20, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VSLover View Post
oh gosh that is a toughie. i guess i'd take table over power. at least in europe, there are very few routes where i'd need power for that many hours of level flight time whereas that table is one of the best features of CE!
I would probably sway the other way. Given the NEOs mostly operate the longer routes (Greece/Cyprus/Turkey) I think power is a great addition. When youíve been travelling all day itís nice to be able to charge up your phone. You can always use the regular middle seat tray table.
Old Aug 31, 20, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
Originally Posted by BAeuro View Post
I would probably sway the other way. Given the NEOs mostly operate the longer routes (Greece/Cyprus/Turkey) I think power is a great addition. When youíve been travelling all day itís nice to be able to charge up your phone. You can always use the regular middle seat tray table.
fair point, i was blindly thinking of just row 1
BAeuro likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: