Max 6F every flight?

Old Aug 29, 20, 3:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,166
Max 6F every flight?

I just noticed that on pretty much all 777 flights to JFK next year that have 8 seats in F cabin, they only seem to be selling 6 seats...Just wondered if anyone knows the reason for this? Are they perhaps planning to cut cabin to 6!?
IMH likes this.
Abstract1 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 20, 3:19 pm
  #2  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,033
How can you tell they are only selling 6 F seats?

EDIT: just a quick sample for JFK next year I am seeing the 8 F cabin 777 flights with selling class availability of F6 A2.
KARFA is offline  
Old Aug 29, 20, 3:22 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,166
From looking at EF.

For example;

BA 1170LHR
23/02/21 8:25JFK
23/02/21 11:25777
Daily
NA / NAF6 A4 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9


0 Connections

BA 1750LHR
23/02/21 9:50JFK
23/02/21 12:55777
Daily
NA / NAF6 A4 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9


0 Connections

BA 1850LHR
23/02/21 10:45EWR
23/02/21 13:55781
Daily
NA / NAF6 A4 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9


0 Connections

BA 1730LHR
23/02/21 11:25JFK
23/02/21 14:25777
Daily
NA / NAF6 A3 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9


0 Connections

BA 1770LHR
23/02/21 12:55JFK
23/02/21 16:05777
Daily
NA / NAF6 A4 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9


0 Connections

BA 1150LHR
23/02/21 14:00JFK
23/02/21 17:00777
M,T,W,Th,Sa
NA / NAF6 A4 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9


0 Connections

BA 1130LHR
23/02/21 16:20JFK
23/02/21 19:30777
Daily
89% / 38mF6 A4 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9
Abstract1 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 20, 3:24 pm
  #4  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,033
So those are F6 A4 in terms of F selling class availability. How does that lead you to the conclusion only 6 F seats are being sold?
Anonba, Admiral Ackbar and jlemon like this.
KARFA is offline  
Old Aug 29, 20, 3:29 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,166
Because First class has 8 seats. So F should be at 8!....It's highly unlikely that on every single flight into next year 2 seats will have been sold. Confirmed on BA.com where you could not purchase 7 seats in first class.
Abstract1 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 20, 3:30 pm
  #6  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 47,703
I wouldn't take this too seriously.

In essence BA think they can run the 777 service to JFK with Club Suites, and that will lead to First having 6 seats. Now it's better to plan on this basis than the alternative, having 14F and then swapping it down to 6F. But so much can change between now and then, not least whether travel is viable next year in view of the current restrictions. I certainly don't think all of JFK is going to be CS, but it's an obvious strategy to have on that route. But as a general point, First is going to become a rarer option going forward.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Aug 29, 20, 3:36 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,166
Yes makes sense, I wonder if they would go CX style with 1-1-1 seating.
Abstract1 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 20, 3:46 pm
  #8  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,033
Originally Posted by Abstract1 View Post
Because First class has 8 seats. So F should be at 8!....It's highly unlikely that on every single flight into next year 2 seats will have been sold. Confirmed on BA.com where you could not purchase 7 seats in first class.
not necessarily. i think what may be a more interesting experiment is where you bought up all the A class availability and then looked at what F class availability was left.

I can't see why they would be reducing selling class availability and offering only 6 F seats on flights scheduled with 8 F cabins in any anticipation of a hypothetical 6 F cabin with a new F seat.
KARFA is offline  
Old Aug 29, 20, 3:48 pm
  #9  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,033
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I wouldn't take this too seriously.

In essence BA think they can run the 777 service to JFK with Club Suites, and that will lead to First having 6 seats. Now it's better to plan on this basis than the alternative, having 14F and then swapping it down to 6F. But so much can change between now and then, not least whether travel is viable next year in view of the current restrictions. I certainly don't think all of JFK is going to be CS, but it's an obvious strategy to have on that route. But as a general point, First is going to become a rarer option going forward.
You mean 8 F seats, unless there is something you want to tell us?
KARFA is offline  
Old Aug 29, 20, 3:49 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 31
On the 747 1A and 1K use to be blocked off for gold status customers , could it be they just block off 2 seats for gold in F on the 777 now?
2ilent8cho is offline  
Old Aug 29, 20, 3:51 pm
  #11  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,033
Originally Posted by 2ilent8cho View Post
On the 747 1A and 1K use to be blocked off for gold status customers , could it be they just block off 2 seats for gold in F on the 777 now?
I am sure they are doing that too. That shouldn't affect selling class availability though.
nancypants likes this.
KARFA is offline  
Old Aug 29, 20, 3:54 pm
  #12  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 47,703
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
You mean 8 F seats
No I mean 6 seats in F. For planning purposes, at least. I have my doubts it will actually happen, and the seating plan on these flights show 2 rows of 4 seats.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Aug 29, 20, 4:03 pm
  #13  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,033
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
No I mean 6 seats in F. For planning purposes, at least. I have my doubts it will actually happen, and the seating plan on these flights show 2 rows of 4 seats.
Hold on, am I misunderstanding (or missed) this?

The current 4 class 777s converted to club suites have 8 refreshed F seats, and as you say that's what the seat plans show for the 777, from what I can see JFK which the OP asks about .

BA has plans for a new 6 F cabin on 777? Would that be with a new F seat too?
KARFA is offline  
Old Aug 29, 20, 4:16 pm
  #14  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 47,703
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
BA has plans for a new 6 F cabin on 777? Would that be with a new F seat too?
Either a new seat and/or the staffing arrangements under CS would cap the First cabin to six. I have no first hand knowledge here, hence the "don't take it too seriously" hint, but if you were thinking of doing this, you would would be cautious on the selling buckets.
KARFA likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Aug 29, 20, 4:22 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 10,285
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Hold on, am I misunderstanding (or missed) this?

The current 4 class 777s converted to club suites have 8 refreshed F seats, and as you say that's what the seat plans show for the 777, from what I can see JFK which the OP asks about .

BA has plans for a new 6 F cabin on 777? Would that be with a new F seat too?
You don't seem to understand airline revenue management and nesting booking classes. If a flight has 8 first class seats and none have been sold, then the inventory would look like this: F8 A6; essentially the airline's RM team is thinking that they can sell 2 seats at the full-fare F and hence why they are limiting the discounted A bucket to 6 seats; however, if they get lucky, they want the F bucket to have the ability to sell all 8 seats in such.

Thus, what the OP is saying is that with F6 on flights that don't appear to have any bookings, BA is capping the F cabin to 6 seats basically.
KARFA likes this.
fly747first is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: