Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Caribbean flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2020, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Caribbean flights

As far as I can see, there are at least 3 islands that allow travellers from the UK in, with a covid-19 test before arrival, that are also quarantine-free for return to the UK. Am looking at October -- flights are for sale -- but in Sept, there are no flights at all (or only a few). What do we think the chances are of any of these actually going ahead?

Does anyone have any experience of covid times arrival procedures and whether this is totally doable or risky?

Last edited by Dan1113; Aug 28, 2020 at 12:28 pm
Old Aug 28, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I am going on the 8th November so will watch replies with interest !
Old Aug 28, 2020, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, give us a clue! Please?

Planning trips is inevitably a bit uncertain, but we need to get away!!
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Barbados
Dominica
Antigua

Though I see October is the rainiest month in the Caribbean so not sure how good of an idea it is...ha
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Platinum Ambassador
Thought about Bermuda? Weather is generally good in October, virtually no Covid and also has no quarantine requirements when arriving back in the U.K.

BA flights for September are at least 3 times a week and they will be going....

edit : From October BA should be flying daily again to Bermuda
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Been to the Caribbean in October several times and weather has ranged from excellent down to variable. Always worth the trip.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greyt
Thought about Bermuda? Weather is generally good in October, virtually no Covid and also has no quarantine requirements when arriving back in the U.K.

BA flights for September are at least 3 times a week and they will be going....

edit : From October BA should be flying daily again to Bermuda
Bermuda tests you on arrival. I'd be nervous of someone on my flight being positive...
Old Aug 28, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Platinum Ambassador
Bermuda is one of the strictest countries in the world. You need a predeparture test, arrival test, day 4, day 8 and day 14 tests....

if you are worried about Covid then this is the right place for you ;-)
Old Aug 28, 2020, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greyt
Bermuda is one of the strictest countries in the world. You need a predeparture test, arrival test, day 4, day 8 and day 14 tests....

if you are worried about Covid then this is the right place for you ;-)
I meant I'd be worried they'd manage to catch some asymptomatic person on my flight thus forcing me into quarantine -- ie worried their policies would turn my week long trip into a quarantine nightmare!
Old Aug 28, 2020, 3:38 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I’m off hopefully to St Lucia on the 12th Sept. You have to have test (up to 7 days) before arrival and submit pre-departure form and test results to St Lucia government. You also have to stop in a Covid approved hotel (Sandals in my case). There have been no new cases in the last two weeks and only 26 since the start. Travelling in F so I will post a short synopsis of experience once I arrive.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
I’m off hopefully to St Lucia on the 12th Sept. You have to have test (up to 7 days) before arrival and submit pre-departure form and test results to St Lucia government. You also have to stop in a Covid approved hotel (Sandals in my case). There have been no new cases in the last two weeks and only 26 since the start. Travelling in F so I will post a short synopsis of experience once I arrive.
what is the purpose of the stopover at a covid hotel?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dan1113
what is the purpose of the stopover at a covid hotel?
They're hotels/resorts/apartments approved by the St Lucia government as being suitable for tourists to stay at during the pandemic. You need to book and reserve one of these designated properties to stay at as opposed to going off piste and staying elsewhere. Presumably they can keep international visitors in the relatively close confines of specific areas as opposed to giving you free reign to stay wherever you want on the island.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fruitcage
Been to the Caribbean in October several times and weather has ranged from excellent down to variable. Always worth the trip.
Also hurricane season.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
St Lucia

We had considered a return to East Winds, until I saw this ... "In response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) you will be required to wear a face mask in all indoor public areas. Self-service food and drinks will not be available. "
Not exactly a 5-star holiday experience. Oh, well, moving on!
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Booking SKB for February. Hopefully flights are reinstated by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.