Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Caribbean flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
Curious! Why would an accredited National test have lower credibility than a private (for profit!) test? Is it the quality of test documentation?

We live in strange times indeed!
It might be the documentation, or it might be the fact that the NHS tests aren't meant for travel purposes. I don't know the exact specifics. I've seen the answers of yes and no to the question.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Curious! Why would an accredited National test have lower credibility than a private (for profit!) test? Is it the quality of test documentation?

We live in strange times indeed!
NHS give a text or email with results. Some countries require an actual signed certificate.

dubai entry rules are quite clear in mandating this. But I’ve seen mixed results for Caribbean. Also the 72 hour timing is quite tight for NHS tests
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
St Lucia requires a pre-authorisation to travel form completed on line no more than 7 days before travel and a negative PCR test which I obtained through the NHS. One point to note Is BA de-plane in groups by row numbers so although we were in row 1 & 2 and through the airport in 20 mins we had to wait a further 1 1/2 hours for our friends who were in row 63 so it’s worth getting a seat as far forward as possible. On landing you go through a covid check temp and paperwork plus you can only stay in approved hotels. We are at Sandals Grand which is about 50% full and it’s superb. The only time you need to wear a mask is if you are in the concierge office or at the reception desk.
Anyone who uses the NHS for a COVID test for personal travel reasons should be ashamed of themselves. You do not qualify for a test - and the only way you have obtained one is fraudulently - by stating that you have symptoms when you do not.
DYKWIA, VSLover, Agent69 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Flyerphil
Anyone who uses the NHS for a COVID test for personal travel reason should be ashamed of themselves. You do not qualify for a test - and the only way you have obtained one is fraudulently - by stating that you have symptoms when you do not.
Seconded.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...e-coronavirus/

Important

Only get a test if you have coronavirus symptoms or have been asked to get tested.

Do not use this service to get a test in order to travel to another country. You can pay for a private test.

This will help make sure people who need a test can get one.
The_Editor likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:55 pm

I would say at the moment in most areas the chances of getting a test and getting the results back in time is slim at best , a family member had a slight fever and got a test , no slots available and the home test took a week to get it, return it and get a result, the press is littered with similar tales.

Certainly wouldn't be risking my expensive long haul trip over it even if I had no morals and wanted to misuse precious resources !
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:01 pm

Anyone who uses the NHS for a COVID test for personal travel reasons should be ashamed of themselves. You do not qualify for a test - and the only way you have obtained one is fraudulently - by stating that you have symptoms when you do not.
Maybe you should consider that as many tests as possible in the UK is a positive thing, no matter NHS or private. That way it provides travellers with ability to travel, whilst also providing our government with very useful data.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Maybe you should consider that as many tests as possible in the UK is a positive thing, no matter NHS or private. That way it provides travellers with ability to travel, whilst also providing our government with very useful data.
Private is fine. I expect that because it costs over £150 per test this is putting people off. Using NHS testing capacity for personal travel it is fraudulent and is depriving opportunities for those who qualify for a test - and in doing so may contribute to the further spread of the virus.
The_Editor likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Clearly not, or the Gov would be advertising free tests for all.

There is finite testing capacity and it is important that it is not abused by people who think that getting tested prior to their holiday is more of a priority than testing somebody in a high risk category with symptoms.
The_Editor likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:50 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Or you live in an area ie OLDHAM which has a high infection rate and you’ve been contacted by track and trace and advised to get tested.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Sep 15, 2020 at 1:35 pm Reason: Rule 12.1
Old Sep 15, 2020, 1:01 am
Original Poster

There are people in professions who are allowed to get a test regularly, without symptoms.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Dan1113
There are people in professions who are allowed to get a test regularly, without symptoms.
Allowed being the key word - I don't think there has ever been suggestion of using the NHS test capacity for vacation purposes
Old Sep 15, 2020, 2:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Which is fine. What's not fine is using the NHS service to avoid paying for a private test so you can fly.
aristoph, VSLover, Agent69 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 3:05 am

Veering off topic - but a colleague has a child with symptoms, now all 3 kids are having to be off school - and she is unable to get a test for 2 days running now despite constantly trying to book one online. So please leave the tests for those that need them, not because you want to go on holiday
DYKWIA, T8191, Agent69 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Will MBJ get off the ground now it’s on the quarantine list? Only a few weeks until the first scheduled departure
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:03 am
Original Poster

So what are the islands open to the UK?

St Lucia
Barbados
Antigua
any​​​ others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.