Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Caribbean flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Dan1113
A medical test isn't the same as a check in though. I assume their level of daily check is a phone call or something to see how you are feeling, not a daily prodding.
Oh, let’s leave it, eh?
We’re going nowhere to help/inform the Flyertalk community.
PS: I’m old, and I don’t have a global smartphone or whatever they’re called.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, let’s leave it, eh?
We’re going nowhere to help/inform the Flyertalk community.
PS: I’m old, and I don’t have a global smartphone or whatever they’re called.
Bit of a busmans holiday really when you are *ahem* 'more senior' - having someone checking up on you constantly to make sure you're ok. I can see why it doesn't appeal...

(firmly tongue in cheek, with apologies to those far more venerable than me... )
Old Aug 30, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
October is the end of hurricane season. And if you go to Barbados you're very unlikely to be impacted by ine even during peak season.
Quite right. 'Peak week' is usually the second week of September and it goes downhill, so to speak, from there. Officially, Hurricane season is actually the end of November but you'd be mighty unlucky to get anything major then....although note that the current year has already been unusually active. What can be a bind though is the cloud and rain that is associated with the Atlantic lows prevalent at this time - so even if you get a Tropical Depression passing nearby it'll be windy and wet. Barbados, although not completely immune from Hurricanes, is a little to the east and south of the main tracks and a major event is indeed a rarity.

When we lived in the Leeward Islands many moons ago pretty much all of the beachfront hotels closed for the Summer and would re-open in the late Autumn/Fall in the run-up to Christmas.

Last edited by Betteronacamel; Aug 30, 2020 at 4:07 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 30, 2020, 8:41 pm

So I’m actually in Barbados atm, I flew out in cw on Thursday (actually using an Amex 241). It’s something I planned to post (long time reader first time poster) about anyway and even took a couple of pics for everyone’s favourite ‘here’s some food in a box’ thread. But I thought given the convo here I’ll share a couple of brief experiences.

Firstly, getting someone to do the test within the time and for a decent price takes some legwork, I did come across a couple of other british couples who had issues getting tests back in time and had to get tested here. As you have to get them done t minus 72 and submitted on their online form before taking off (website actually says 24 hours but spoke to someone who got their cert whilst they were in the air and they did eventually accept it.

The checks in the airport were thorough but fairly streamlined we personally were out of the airport 45 mins from wheels down which I thought was v.impressive as we had to queue for someone to check our texts, fill out an additional health form (age and a couple of other minor things) and see a nurse that gave us a form each to fill in temperatures twice a day.

As for monitoring, I don’t think everyone does get picked given the nurse said “do this in case you are called” but we were from yesterday. Basically we are just checking our temps in the morning and evening then ringing up during the day to read them out. That was until today when the woman on the phone said “why aren’t you whatsapping us?” To which I asked how and they said from now I can just send a pic of our temps each day via WhatsApp to their number.

Actually around and about, it’s quiet obviously, lots of the big AI places closed but we’ve just got a room and have easily been able to find local places to eat although a lot are closed or doing different hours.

All in all, yeah it’s extra stuff and something to think about but it was 32C today and the water is great so atm I’d say it’s been worth it (will confirm when I get back next week ).
Old Aug 30, 2020, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your report!

Is Antigua likely to have hurricane issues in mid October? Is it more in the "path"?

Getting a test with lot time to go in Edinburgh or Glasgow makes me concerned, not sure how doable it is.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Blah Blah...
Originally Posted by Dan1113
A medical test isn't the same as a check in though. I assume their level of daily check is a phone call or something to see how you are feeling, not a daily prodding.
Correct. It's just a whatsapp. Just came back. First day phone call. You then whatsapp with your current health status "All Good".

Barbados was very well organised and BTW, covid-19 testing was very much enforced. Gatwick and the flight itself was also well organised, with the occasional passenger being an idiot.

Last edited by matthudski; Aug 31, 2020 at 3:14 am
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
October is the end of hurricane season. And if you go to Barbados you're very unlikely to be impacted by ine even during peak season.
Strictly speaking the hurricane season runs into Nov, although not likely.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by matthudski
Correct. It's just a whatsapp. Just came back. First day phone call. You then whatsapp with your current health status "All Good".

Barbados was very well organised and BTW, covid-19 testing was very much enforced. Gatwick and the flight itself was also well organised, with the occasional passenger being an idiot.
Maybe someone with recent experience can provide some more information please. If a test in the UK doesn't come back in time and you need a test upon arrival in BGI, how long is the result turnaround? On the Visit Barbados website it states that you can choose to wait in the airport, but how long could that be?! Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
We are booked for November and I have joined the Barbados group on Facebook.

You need pre testing or testing at the airport. The problem seems to be that a couple of people test positive on most flights. This is a concern in itself. I am sure all fights are the same but without testing we will never know of it.

if you are seated within 2 rows of a positive person you must isolate in your accommodation. No use of Pool etc. Just in your room / house.

You are then tested. If positive you go to a military isolation facility ( dormitories ). I assume logically you can’t then leave the county until you test clear ( they are rightly not going to let you hop on a plane!)

given the apparent reported incidence of positive passengers, at best isolation and worst a military facility this does not seem worth taking a chance on.

the govt are doing it right - it is just to possible impact on a holiday maker is huge.

it was for my birthday but sadly unless things change ( requirement to test before getting on the plane with no airport option on arrival ) I don’t think we will be going.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
We are booked for November and I have joined the Barbados group on Facebook.

You need pre testing or testing at the airport. The problem seems to be that a couple of people test positive on most flights. This is a concern in itself. I am sure all fights are the same but without testing we will never know of it.

if you are seated within 2 rows of a positive person you must isolate in your accommodation. No use of Pool etc. Just in your room / house.

You are then tested. If positive you go to a military isolation facility ( dormitories ). I assume logically you can’t then leave the county until you test clear ( they are rightly not going to let you hop on a plane!)

given the apparent reported incidence of positive passengers, at best isolation and worst a military facility this does not seem worth taking a chance on.

the govt are doing it right - it is just to possible impact on a holiday maker is huge.

it was for my birthday but sadly unless things change ( requirement to test before getting on the plane with no airport option on arrival ) I don’t think we will be going.
Where have you obtained this information from?

I thought the infection rate in UK was less that 20 per 100,000 (1 in 5,000). Assuming reasonable load factors this would equate to one positive case every 15 flights?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Yikes...that doesn't sound nice.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Originally Posted by Agent69

I thought the infection rate in UK was less that 20 per 100,000 (1 in 5,000). Assuming reasonable load factors this would equate to one positive case every 15 flights?
I first saw details on a TripAdvisor blog. There had been positive people on BA several days running.

I then joined Barbados facebook group. This has first hand tales from people who have been isolated / tested etc. There are a not insignificant number of people with their personal reports - bear in mind only a subset are going to be member of a group and then bother to post.

I would agree with you mathematically - however the plane - like cruise liners - maybe gives a more real number as 100% of the people will have been tested within the last 3 days - albeit some when they arrived.

I am not really sure why they don't just make it you must test negative pre departure end of. It would seem to make their life much simpler and push the whole onus onto the traveler.

If they do this I will go. If they dont the consequences of it going wrong for a weeks holiday ( ignoring the health issues of COVID) are too great for me. Others of course will have a different view.

Some of these have been reported in the press

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9628926.html

https://www.loopnewsbarbados.com/con...itive-covid-19
Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite

I’m purely speculating here, but what you’re reporting is the UK’s measured infection rate. If one assumes 50-90% are untraced asymptomatic, then the numbers start making a bit more sense.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Maybe someone with recent experience can provide some more information please. If a test in the UK doesn't come back in time and you need a test upon arrival in BGI, how long is the result turnaround? On the Visit Barbados website it states that you can choose to wait in the airport, but how long could that be?! Thanks.
If the test doesn't come back, you get tested at the airport. Fairly quick, they test you on arrival, sit you in a departure area, give you food and water and you wait. About 2-4 hours. If you are staying at an approved hotel, you can get tested and then wait it out in the hotel until the results come back. Lastly, if you are staying at the crane, you wait for 30 minutes, get taken to the crane and get tested there. You then get the results the next morning/afternoon (you need to isolate if you get tested at the crane or airport and wait it out in the hotel)
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I’m purely speculating here, but what you’re reporting is the UK’s measured infection rate. If one assumes 50-90% are untraced asymptomatic, then the numbers start making a bit more sense.

Although correct maths, in reality, this doesn't stack up. First, it's likely that if 1 person is on a flight and travelling with another person, and 1 has Covid, the other probably does too. Thus 1 flight might have a family of 3 or 4 with Covid and the next 45 flights don't have any.

Maths also falls to pieces too as many people who are sick, won't travel (as they are sick or have been tested). some will as they are arses, but still, many won't. Most of the people on my recent flight to Barbados had covid test before travelling. They separate you on landing, and I'd estimate fewer than 20% went into the no negative test route upon landing.

Lastly, if you do proper hand washing and are asymptomatic and wear face mask, there is a much reduced chance of passing it on, even on a plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.