A London - NYC air bridge?

Old Aug 27, 20, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
A London - NYC air bridge?

Some news outlets are reporting that the U.K. and US are discussing a London - NYC air bridge.

“However, according to newspaper reports, the UK and US governments are in talks over establishing a travel corridor between London and New York” reports Sky News.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/coron...-york-12057663

This would be a huge boost for BA should it actually happen.
MatJarosz and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Aug 27, 20, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
NY Gov Cuomo has certainly been a better rep and leader during this than most in my opinion. I hope this can be worked out as I do miss my family but I hope it only happens with low R numbers and low cases that are manageable.

It would certainly be a boost for BA.
Old Aug 27, 20, 2:07 pm

Programs: Lowly blue, sometimes Bronze
Given the government used the argument that people from mainland Spain could simply travel to the islands hence the islands ( which at the time were low Covid rates ) Were included in the the quarantine rules I can’t see this being a starter.

You could fly from anywhere In the USA and it is a train crash.
Old Aug 27, 20, 2:13 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
This is utter pie in the sky. The vast majority of non-US permanent residents can't enter the US and there's nothing the Governor of NY can do about that, so what would be the point of this "air bridge".

That's without going into the problems with ensuring that this air bridge is only used by residents of NY state.
Keystone likes this.
Old Aug 27, 20, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA
Does it really need an air bridge? If people need to visit NYC, they will with or without a quarantine. Leisure travel to a city that has closed tourism/restaurants/sights must be basically rock bottom, although it won't be zero. Business travel won't be that much ahead either.
Old Aug 27, 20, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
I agree. I don't see how it can work in practice. What I do agree with is that something needs to happen to make international travel easier for those who want / need to travel. It's good that options are seemingly being explored but I am not sure what real, tangible benefit a LON - NYC air corridor brings or how it would work!
Old Aug 27, 20, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain View Post
If people need to visit NYC, they will with or without a quarantine.
From my perspective, it's not about visiting NYC. It's about being able to visit the UK without having to self-isolate for 14 days. If (and it's a big if, with a lot of caveats) there was an air bridge (or whatever we want to call it) that allowed me to come back to the UK without the need to self-isolate for 14 days then I'd be first in the queue to get on the plane. I live in the US but have family in the UK that I would dearly like to visit them, especially my parents! However, until I do not have to self-isolate upon my return to the UK then there is absolutely no point in coming. I don't have a spare two weeks worth of leave to sit in a hotel in splendid self-isolation before I can start visiting family and friends and enjoying my holiday. A fourteen day self-isolation period is a significantly long time! Obviously, it's less of an issue if you're a UK resident and you're self-isolating in your home, and can work from home but for those of us for whom the UK isn't home it makes travel almost impossible.
TangoOneSeven and golfmad like this.
Old Aug 27, 20, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
From my perspective, it's not about visiting NYC. It's about being able to visit the UK without having to self-isolate for 14 days. If (and it's a big if, with a lot of caveats) there was an air bridge (or whatever we want to call it) that allowed me to come back to the UK without the need to self-isolate for 14 days then I'd be first in the queue to get on the plane. I live in the US but have family in the UK that I would dearly like to visit them, especially my parents! However, until I do not have to self-isolate upon my return to the UK then there is absolutely no point in coming. I don't have a spare two weeks worth of leave to sit in a hotel in splendid self-isolation before I can start visiting family and friends and enjoying my holiday. A fourteen day self-isolation period is a significantly long time! Obviously, it's less of an issue if you're a UK resident and you're self-isolating in your home, and can work from home but for those of us for whom the UK isn't home it makes travel almost impossible.
That's a really good point, I didn't consider that perspective.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 20, 3:46 pm
formerly inlogan

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
Based on current regulations you can go now and stay with your parents. You just can't leave their place to go out and do things. I did the same a few weeks ago to go visit my partner in the UK and had a nice time for a week just staying at his house together and spending time in the garden.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Aug 27, 20, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain View Post
Does it really need an air bridge? If people need to visit NYC, they will with or without a quarantine. Leisure travel to a city that has closed tourism/restaurants/sights must be basically rock bottom, although it won't be zero. Business travel won't be that much ahead either.
Is New York closed?

London is very much open.
Old Aug 27, 20, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by hahaandy1 View Post
This is utter pie in the sky. The vast majority of non-US permanent residents can't enter the US and there's nothing the Governor of NY can do about that, so what would be the point of this "air bridge".

That's without going into the problems with ensuring that this air bridge is only used by residents of NY state.
It’s not him we are talking to apparently, it’s the US government according to the reports, the talks are about removing the restrictions on both sides. NY was mentioned as an example of the regions which could be opened due to its low case rate.

Note it also said the corridor would be open to residents of NY and London, presumably to avoid the problem of people from other states travelling via NY (not that it would stop us Brits visiting other areas while we are there though...
rockflyertalk and James91 like this.
Old Aug 27, 20, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by districtRich View Post
Based on current regulations you can go now and stay with your parents. You just can't leave their place to go out and do things. I did the same a few weeks ago to go visit my partner in the UK and had a nice time for a week just staying at his house together and spending time in the garden.
At the risk of getting too much off-topic, yes, you can stay with your parents. However, the whole concept of self-isolation still applies. The guidance at https://www.gov.uk/government/public...avel-to-the-uk states "The people you’re staying with do not need to stay at home, unless they travelled with you...It’s important to avoid as much contact with other people as possible in your home in order to reduce the risk of transmitting coronavirus. You should stay in a well-ventilated room with a window to the outside that can be opened, separate from other people in your home."

So, yes, I could stay with my folks but I doubt it would be much fun! I'd also be worried about being an asymptomatic carrier, and hence I wouldn't want to stay with them but rather visit and drink wine with them in the back garden. Much less risky! All that aside, I would like to be able to do other things too such as see my brothers and their families as well as friends, go for a walk on the beach or in the country etc.

To go back to the original point, though, it still seems unlikely that an air bridge between NYC and LON will be practical. When you consider that a lot of east coast cities / states are requiring visitors from out of state to self-isolate / quarantine for 14 days it seems logical to assume that any exemption would have to be solely for people in New York, otherwise flying through JFK would be touted as being the next "Dublin Dodge"
Old Aug 27, 20, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The route under discussion is LON-NYC, but the concept is UK-US. It would simply be a gateway for quarantine-free traffic in both directions and that can quite easily be handled through testing pre-flight and then again a few days after arrival. It makes sense right now to do so voluntarily unless one intends to quarantine in true isolation. Presumably, one has no desire to infect one's parents and friends.
Old Aug 27, 20, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
i just dont understand how this could work effectively as someone noted the idea of all the feeder traffic.

it couldnt be limited to just "residents" of NY state because that would be difficult to prove--your passport does not denote your state of residence, yes you should be obtaining a new drivers license in a state you move to, but most do not, and even if you own a place in NYC and have a current NY state license and you flew from your summer house in Florida--a hotspot of covid--well, how would any airline effectively manage that?

so you can easily see how quickly the entire idea unravels. add to that, it is a bit meaningless again because it isnt like business travel will just materialize out of thin air suddenly because there is an open corridor.
Old Aug 27, 20, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
1. The problems apply to EU travel also. If you are in Madrid, you simply drive to Lisbon to fly to London. But many won’t. But only a small proportion will do this so it’s not a major problem. Likewise for the US.

2. Of course there’s no business travel currently as it’s impossible for UK residents and impractical for Us residents. An air bridge would remove those impediments. There is demand.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: